Sponsored

Excessive bowing issue with Mopar lift kit springs for JL

JK47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
20180719_085355.jpg
ncase anyone was wondering what some decent off-roading/rock crawling does to the MOPAR spring base pads, here is a picture of how deformed they can get. Sure great they fixed the geometry on the new ones, but if they are of the same material and basic design then expect this to happen. Going to have the RK pads installed based off overall design/material and their overall stronger feeling material and not notched design which allows for deformation.

20180719_085401.jpg
Just noticed this morning that my driver's side perch shit the bed like the pic's above, almost identical deformation too. I installed the RK perch's I had waiting just in case, glad I did.
Sponsored

Midwest22

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Ive read through most of the 781 posts since Im trying to find nuggets in here that will convince me to go with this Mopar lift...and its hard to find convincing arguments. As with most people Im attracted to the warranty. However, Id rather have no warranty and only be in the shop once in a while than have one and be in the shop all the time.

With that said, whats the next best thing (or better thing) to the Mopar lift that gives us stock (or better) on road feel/control and good off-road handling? I know this is slightly off topic but Im sure Im not the only one who is looking for some good advice here (besides installing a Mopar lift kit, accepting the bowing and knowing that you might have to use a Rock Krawler perch since they appear to be the only ones that know how to solve the problem...and Im sure that would void the warranty as well).

isueyou

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Question for those using RK pads.

I purchased the RK pads but would not let the dealer use it without confirming that these pads would not effect my warranty either the cars or the lifts in any way. Obviously he refused to sign anything.

My question is:
What happens when some bowing finally occurs on your jeep (for argument sake assume it may result in contact from bowing), and you take it back to the dealer and they say we wont touch it because you used RK pads.

My theory is:
Because this is such a headache, unless you know your dealer/ service manager, they may have an easy opt out saying you used after market parts, any bowing after that will not be covered.

My recent service history:
Trip 1: Took the jeep in around late May early April, before the fix was readily available. They said they reallinged the car and I should be good.

Trip 2: After a few weeks bowing was back. Mopar "fix" is now out and put on my car after around 10 days at the dealer.

Trip 3: With Mopar fix installed, bump stock started to rub springs again. I dont even want to tell you how many days they had my car. FCA said call mopar accessories, mopar acc. basically had no idea what to say, and would just punt the issue to another department. Nobody claimed responsibility.

All this being said. I would imagine if you installed RK pads, its an easy way for them to say F this we dont have to deal with the headache.

Dewey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS
All this being said. I would imagine if you installed RK pads, its an easy way for them to say F this we dont have to deal with the headache.[/QUOTE]

After installing the RK pads the headache is gone. A $30 fix!

I recommend that you and many others google the Magnus-Moss act. They cant void your warranty for installing after market parts. Obviously the after market part isn't covered but the factory warranty stays intact for everything else. A service manager that denies warranty claims will be unemployed quickly these days.

isueyou

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
All this being said. I would imagine if you installed RK pads, its an easy way for them to say F this we dont have to deal with the headache.
After installing the RK pads the headache is gone. A $30 fix!

I recommend that you and many others google the Magnus-Moss act. They cant void your warranty for installing after market parts. Obviously the after market part isn't covered but the factory warranty stays intact for everything else. A service manager that denies warranty claims will be unemployed quickly these days.[/QUOTE]

That’s why i added in first part assume some bowing did occur.

These pads seem to be a material factor to the bowing. They would then have a strong case to not bother trying to fix it.

Sponsored

JK47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
My spring never touched the bump stops, with the new Mopar perch. The fact that they deformed so quickly with a single day of moderate trail use was troubling. Even with the RK perch, the springs have a slight bow. If they end up pushing the RK perch like the Mopar one that was linked to earlier in his thread. I will get a new set of springs. I don’t even think it’s worth arguing with Mopar over warranty, I’ll simply never buy Mopar parts again.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
My spring never touched the bump stops, with the new Mopar perch. The fact that they deformed so quickly with a single day of moderate trail use was troubling. Even with the RK perch, the springs have a slight bow. If they end up pushing the RK perch like the Mopar one that was linked to earlier in his thread. I will get a new set of springs. I don’t even think it’s worth arguing with Mopar over warranty, I’ll simply never buy Mopar parts again.
We installed my lift tonight. I noticed that my stock spring pads were starting collapse when we pulled them out. I had two short wheeling trips on my Jeep and 8000 miles.

Khsonic03

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Any updates from those who have installed the RK pad? Still doing well/not bowing excessively?

Also, I saw in a video that the right spring is taller than the left (and confirmed this on my kit). The Mopar perches seem to account for this by being different heights/pitch, but the RK ones are identical on both sides. Any ride height differences from left to right with the RKs?

Dewey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS
Any updates from those who have installed the RK pad? Still doing well/not bowing excessively?

Also, I saw in a video that the right spring is taller than the left (and confirmed this on my kit). The Mopar perches seem to account for this by being different heights/pitch, but the RK ones are identical on both sides. Any ride height differences from left to right with the RKs?
Holding up great, no noticeable difference in ride height. I'm very happy with them. Its my understanding that the right springs are stiffer/longer because the fuel tank is on the right side of the JL. Probably overkill but it seems to work very well.

Csward12

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Occupation
Law Enforcement

No issues with mine AT ALL.

Sponsored

drg6654

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Is it recomended to have the Jeep aligned after the Isolator repair?

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Is it recomended to have the Jeep aligned after the Isolator repair?
I don’t see the point. To install that isolator, all that is needed is to lower the axle enough to remove the spring, replace the isolator and put the spring back. Nothing is going to change.

Khsonic03

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

Replying to my own comment lol. Just wanted to update that I installed the Mopar 2" kit with the RK pads and my suspicion above ended up being true. My passenger side sits 3/8" lower than the driver side and I believe it's due to the Mopar driver's side pad sitting lower than the passenger side and the RK pads not accounting for this. Could be something completely different, but that was my finding. Maybe it's due to the indexing being slightly different. The Jeep does have about 3/4 of a tank of gas in it, so that might be contributing slightly, but I doubt I'll get back the full 3/8" difference when it's empty.

Oh and yes I did install the springs on the right side :) Red left, blue right.

Any other RK guys want to measure theirs? Maybe mine is a fluke.

Dewey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS
Replying to my own comment lol. Just wanted to update that I installed the Mopar 2" kit with the RK pads and my suspicion above ended up being true. My passenger side sits 3/8" lower than the driver side and I believe it's due to the Mopar driver's side pad sitting lower than the passenger side and the RK pads not accounting for this. Could be something completely different, but that was my finding. Maybe it's due to the indexing being slightly different. The Jeep does have about 3/4 of a tank of gas in it, so that might be contributing slightly, but I doubt I'll get back the full 3/8" difference when it's empty.

Oh and yes I did install the springs on the right side :) Red left, blue right.

Any other RK guys want to measure theirs? Maybe mine is a fluke.
Just did my 2nd JL (first one is gone) yesterday, has about 30 miles on it since the install and has 3'4 tank of fuel. Mine seems to be spot on.

IMG_1192[2736].JPG

IMG_1196.JPG

View attachment 77991
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0