johnd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Rubicon 392 XR
Occupation
Inventor
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL Exact Center making life better for serious JL JT issues 1646958004750

Just a little history and update on my observations of the factory steering assembly and the Exact Center. As you may have read in my earlier posts, I have a 2020 JT. I was thoroughly disgusted with the way the Jeep handled stock, let alone the Death Wobble that started once I put a 2-1/2" leveling kit on it (@8,000mi). Bear in mind that I've driven Jeeps as a daily for 10+ years (TJ & modified JK). So I bit the bullet and started doing some research. First step was to get the TSB done for the steering gear, with no real improvement except for peace of mind. Thinking, so I've already sunk $40+k into this thing, what's $1.5k more.....Purchased the Synergy Tie rod and Drag Link kit, longer shocks for the Leveling and some odds and ends to move the stabilizer along with an Exact Center set at 87# (Thanks John).

I put all of this on last weekend, including the 2-1/4" (shaved from 2-1/2") leveling kit spacers I had previously removed, and took it up to my son's shop for an alignment yesterday.

The settings:
Set Total Toe to 0.3 degrees (Factory is 0.2 +/-0.2)
Caster is at 5 degrees (Factory 2" lift LCA's put it there)
Didn't bother to measure camber, can't do anything anyway.

After a little driving around to set the Exact Center and steering wheel to where they need to be, I proceeded to go out on a 120 mile journey around the greater Phoenix freeway system at 70-80mph looking for every bump and crappy section of road I could find, and we have alot right now with all of the freeway construction going on.

Observations:
I couldn't get the steering to even shimmey......at all. (FYI, Before I did this and had just the leveling kit on, I had DW 3 times over the same roads in one drive)
The steering feel was centered and very responsive, one finger driving.

Preliminary conclusions:
Jeep really screwed up with the design of the steering gear components. Too lightweight and relying on crimp joints between dissimilar metals is the perfect recipe to create harmonic vibration, AKA Death Wobble.
Why hasn't anyone approached Jeep with the idea of the Exact Center Stabilizer? It provides responsive steering with a return-to-center feel that an IFS system has. I had a similar Synergy setup on my old JK that I wheeled here alot. Never had an issue even while slapping it hard on rocks, but it never had the stable, return-to-center feel that this JT now has.

John, I'm going to run the 87# setup for at least a month, just to get fully used to it and see if I can find a situation where more would # be better. After all, I'm still on stock tires.

BTY, anyone out there want a stock tie rod, drag link, front shocks and stabilizer? Free.......Time to get them out of my garage.

Edit: Forgot to add the factory Track bar in there too............Free.
Sponsored

tmgarmon

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
Oh look, yet another thread on EC. Congrats, im officially in the will-never-buy-anything-from-these-guys camp.
You're loss Bob. I admit I was sketical at first, but the research I put in, plus the frustrations that I was encountering with a Jeep that I threw $40+k at had me give it a shot. Note that I didn't just add the stabilizer, I attacked a number of issues that I was having to get the tance and drivability that I wanted. I got a deal on this Jeep because it was a 'Manufacturer Buyback' from some California guy that bought a Jeep, not realizing he would be driving a Jeep. The caviat was that I could not return it. All that I did repaired the steering issues I was having, and the stabilizer gave it a feel that I've never had driving a Jeep.

So say what you want...................

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Given that this is an advertising piece, perhaps a short, nifty video would be more effective than several paragraphs...?

After all, we live in an age with the attention span of a mosquito.

Just a thought.

tmgarmon

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Given that this is an advertising piece, perhaps a short, nifty video would be more effective than several paragraphs...?

After all, we live in an age with the attention span of a mosquito.

Just a thought.
Agreed............I'm not advertising and I have no affiliation with Synergy or EC, just an end user who likes Jeeps but has gotten quite tired of going to war every time I drive. I don't own a GoPro, so I can't supply a video, just some pics and opinions. Let's go to the manufacturers for those.

And that Goldfish (I think it's even shorter than a mosquito) attention span is a big issue.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
01-goldfish-nationalgeographic_1567132.jpg

Bob Burd

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snwburd.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I call BS. Tmgarmon has made 8 posts and every one is related to EC. Claiming no affiliation is a crock. The wording all sounds like the sponsor's posts, too.

tmgarmon

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I call BS. Tmgarmon has made 8 posts and every one is related to EC. Claiming no affiliation is a crock. The wording all sounds like the sponsor's posts, too.
Go for it.........My job is an Applications Engineer for an automation company headquartered in Canada and I'm based out of Mesa, Arizona. I have 33 years degreed mechanical engineering experience in both the automotive and life science sectors. I bought the Jeep on 1/5/22. Before that, I had no experience with the JL/JT.

You're right, they are all related to EC here. Go look me up on jeepgladiatorforum.com. That's where I first posted when I bought this Jeep.

https://www.jeepgladiatorforum.com/forum/threads/new-gladiator-dw-and-a-possible-solution.54855/

What do you do for a living Bob?

Patches?

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT Overland, 2021 Civic Type R
Can you guys at least restrict these posts to the suspension/steering/chassis subforum? I'm sure this product is great, but these topics clutter up the general discussions

tmgarmon

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you guys at least restrict these posts to the suspension/steering/chassis subforum? I'm sure this product is great, but these topics clutter up the general discussions
absolutely
Can we ask a moderator to move this?

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Even the suspension subforum has become over run with the same pushy sales pitch. Threads from yesteryear being dragged from page 8 just to post another wall of text.

My vote is to condense it into 1 thread, like back when the bronco fans flooded us with multiple threads to the same end.

micahpop

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
They might have a great product, I don't know. It sure seems like those that have used it are satisfied.

But like others have said, the way they are going about trying to sell this on the forum is a bit much.

Yes, I know, I can choose not to click on these threads. But I can't help myself... 🤣

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco 2020 Ram 5500 2020 Lincoln Aviato
If you look it is on the suspension/steering forum
Sponsored