johnd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Rubicon 392 XR
Occupation
Inventor
Vehicle Showcase
Just a little history and update on my observations of the factory steering assembly and the Exact Center. As you may have read in my earlier posts, I have a 2020 JT. I was thoroughly disgusted with the way the Jeep handled stock, let alone the Death Wobble that started once I put a 2-1/2" leveling kit on it (@8,000mi). Bear in mind that I've driven Jeeps as a daily for 10+ years (TJ & modified JK). So I bit the bullet and started doing some research. First step was to get the TSB done for the steering gear, with no real improvement except for peace of mind. Thinking, so I've already sunk $40+k into this thing, what's $1.5k more.....Purchased the Synergy Tie rod and Drag Link kit, longer shocks for the Leveling and some odds and ends to move the stabilizer along with an Exact Center set at 87# (Thanks John).

I put all of this on last weekend, including the 2-1/4" (shaved from 2-1/2") leveling kit spacers I had previously removed, and took it up to my son's shop for an alignment yesterday.

The settings:
Set Total Toe to 0.3 degrees (Factory is 0.2 +/-0.2)
Caster is at 5 degrees (Factory 2" lift LCA's put it there)
Didn't bother to measure camber, can't do anything anyway.

After a little driving around to set the Exact Center and steering wheel to where they need to be, I proceeded to go out on a 120 mile journey around the greater Phoenix freeway system at 70-80mph looking for every bump and crappy section of road I could find, and we have alot right now with all of the freeway construction going on.

Observations:
I couldn't get the steering to even shimmey......at all. (FYI, Before I did this and had just the leveling kit on, I had DW 3 times over the same roads in one drive)
The steering feel was centered and very responsive, one finger driving.

Preliminary conclusions:
Jeep really screwed up with the design of the steering gear components. Too lightweight and relying on crimp joints between dissimilar metals is the perfect recipe to create harmonic vibration, AKA Death Wobble.
Why hasn't anyone approached Jeep with the idea of the Exact Center Stabilizer? It provides responsive steering with a return-to-center feel that an IFS system has. I had a similar Synergy setup on my old JK that I wheeled here alot. Never had an issue even while slapping it hard on rocks, but it never had the stable, return-to-center feel that this JT now has.

John, I'm going to run the 87# setup for at least a month, just to get fully used to it and see if I can find a situation where more would # be better. After all, I'm still on stock tires.

BTY, anyone out there want a stock tie rod, drag link, front shocks and stabilizer? Free.......Time to get them out of my garage.

Edit: Forgot to add the factory Track bar in there too............Free.
Tom
Thank you
You just made my last two months, I have been waiting for someone other than me to feel good about EC. You do want the 110lb, so let Tony get you one if he has not yet. You were a test and we appreciate your help. The 87 lb should be returned to Tony not RM. They will get you a 110LB or even a 140 lb (you do not need 140 yet)
Just a little history and update on my observations of the factory steering assembly and the Exact Center. As you may have read in my earlier posts, I have a 2020 JT. I was thoroughly disgusted with the way the Jeep handled stock, let alone the Death Wobble that started once I put a 2-1/2" leveling kit on it (@8,000mi). Bear in mind that I've driven Jeeps as a daily for 10+ years (TJ & modified JK). So I bit the bullet and started doing some research. First step was to get the TSB done for the steering gear, with no real improvement except for peace of mind. Thinking, so I've already sunk $40+k into this thing, what's $1.5k more.....Purchased the Synergy Tie rod and Drag Link kit, longer shocks for the Leveling and some odds and ends to move the stabilizer along with an Exact Center set at 87# (Thanks John).

I put all of this on last weekend, including the 2-1/4" (shaved from 2-1/2") leveling kit spacers I had previously removed, and took it up to my son's shop for an alignment yesterday.

The settings:
Set Total Toe to 0.3 degrees (Factory is 0.2 +/-0.2)
Caster is at 5 degrees (Factory 2" lift LCA's put it there)
Didn't bother to measure camber, can't do anything anyway.

After a little driving around to set the Exact Center and steering wheel to where they need to be, I proceeded to go out on a 120 mile journey around the greater Phoenix freeway system at 70-80mph looking for every bump and crappy section of road I could find, and we have alot right now with all of the freeway construction going on.

Observations:
I couldn't get the steering to even shimmey......at all. (FYI, Before I did this and had just the leveling kit on, I had DW 3 times over the same roads in one drive)
The steering feel was centered and very responsive, one finger driving.

Preliminary conclusions:
Jeep really screwed up with the design of the steering gear components. Too lightweight and relying on crimp joints between dissimilar metals is the perfect recipe to create harmonic vibration, AKA Death Wobble.
Why hasn't anyone approached Jeep with the idea of the Exact Center Stabilizer? It provides responsive steering with a return-to-center feel that an IFS system has. I had a similar Synergy setup on my old JK that I wheeled here alot. Never had an issue even while slapping it hard on rocks, but it never had the stable, return-to-center feel that this JT now has.

John, I'm going to run the 87# setup for at least a month, just to get fully used to it and see if I can find a situation where more would # be better. After all, I'm still on stock tires.

BTY, anyone out there want a stock tie rod, drag link, front shocks and stabilizer? Free.......Time to get them out of my garage.

Edit: Forgot to add the factory Track bar in there too............Free.
Tom I shared your comments unedited with no additions with RM and on a thread about a similar issue. Your words only, I did not comment.
Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
@Exact Center i just purchased a 110 lb unit and will be using the synergy bracket on my factory tie rod. Any tips or is anything drastically different from using the stock location?

Exact Center

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
johnd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Rubicon 392 XR
Occupation
Inventor
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
Rob
There have been many who have used that setup. Did you get both ends tie rod and upper mount?
Roky has used that setup jeeps&dogs and many others. Roky is a good choice to follow.
If not set from RM set the length to 21.32" c-c of rod end holes lock jamb nuts to black hex ends not silver of tube.
After driving your jeep as straight as possible install upper bolt attach EC upper end attach tie-rod bracket loosely to tie-rod slide till rod end hole matches stud on synergy bracket lock down the two bolts and then lock synergy bracket to tie-rod. Do talk to Tony about any minor adjustment that might be needed. It will be small so do talk to tony or maybe check out Roky's comments.
1-989-448-2501 PIWcorp Gaylord Mi [email protected]
I purchased the kit that Tony provided a link for. It has a clamp and bolt that go on the tie rod and then a bolt for the axle side that moves the stabilizer up. I haven’t looked much else into it yet. I knew others in this thread had used the setup so I just went with it.

Buddy Lee

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Unlimited
I followed this thread for quite a while before purchasing an Exact Center. I decided to go with the 140lb unit after talking with Tony based on my current set up. My Jeep runs a Metal Cloak 3.5 “ game changer suspension with 6-pak shocks and geometry correction brackets. I am also running Doetsch 2.5 ton aluminum steering and 35” Patagonias on Rock Monster beadlocks. I installed one on my friends Jeep with a similar set up but with stock steering at the same time. I used the Synergy kit on that one and a Fox bolt on mine with the Doetsch clamp. I would definitely recommend (as Roky mentioned) if installing the Synergy kit to replace the button bolt with something more stout. I had to cut my Synergy bolt off and replace it with the Fox one when I installed the Exact Center because it was frozen and it stripped the Allen head. The synergy kit works well with the stock suspension. I had to fill in the space on the tie-rod bracket bolt because the unit is smaller than most stabilizers. I used an aluminum spacer from the Hardware store to fill it in and it came out nice. The unit I installed on my Jeep took more work because the 2.5 ton steering tube size created a clearance issue with my differential cover at full turn. I was able to make it work. I would recommend the Steer Smarts bracket for anyone with this steering set up since it's design allows the Exact Center to rotate forward unlike the track bar bolt which only allows a limited amount of movement. My initial thoughts on the 140lb unit is it definitely helps the wheel return to center and helps keep the vehicle in a straight line. It also stiffens up the steering feeI, almost sport like. I will say I have only driven my Jeep one time since the install but will be taking it to Death Valley for a 5 day trip next week. It should be about 1200 road miles and 300-500 off-road through some rugged terrain. I plan on writing a review upon my return. I have attached some pictures of my installs.

IMG_1874.jpg

IMG_1877.jpg

IMG_1878.jpg

IMG_1879.jpg

Sponsored

Exact Center

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
johnd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Rubicon 392 XR
Occupation
Inventor
Vehicle Showcase
I purchased the kit that Tony provided a link for. It has a clamp and bolt that go on the tie rod and then a bolt for the axle side that moves the stabilizer up. I haven’t looked much else into it yet. I knew others in this thread had used the setup so I just went with it.
Rob
Yes many are using that setup to get their EC up and out of danger. Roky did have good pics of his first install, later he changed to similar but a different tie-rod but if you go back in time he does have good pictures. email or call Tony with questions, he is much better at installs than me.

Exact Center

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
johnd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Rubicon 392 XR
Occupation
Inventor
Vehicle Showcase
I followed this thread for quite a while before purchasing an Exact Center. I decided to go with the 140lb unit after talking with Tony based on my current set up. My Jeep runs a Metal Cloak 3.5 “ game changer suspension with 6-pak shocks and geometry correction brackets. I am also running Doetsch 2.5 ton aluminum steering and 35” Patagonias on Rock Monster beadlocks. I installed one on my friends Jeep with a similar set up but with stock steering at the same time. I used the Synergy kit on that one and a Fox bolt on mine with the Doetsch clamp. I would definitely recommend (as Roky mentioned) if installing the Synergy kit to replace the button bolt with something more stout. I had to cut my Synergy bolt off and replace it with the Fox one when I installed the Exact Center because it was frozen and it stripped the Allen head. The synergy kit works well with the stock suspension. I had to fill in the space on the tie-rod bracket bolt because the unit is smaller than most stabilizers. I used an aluminum spacer from the Hardware store to fill it in and it came out nice. The unit I installed on my Jeep took more work because the 2.5 ton steering tube size created a clearance issue with my differential cover at full turn. I was able to make it work. I would recommend the Steer Smarts bracket for anyone with this steering set up since it's design allows the Exact Center to rotate forward unlike the track bar bolt which only allows a limited amount of movement. My initial thoughts on the 140lb unit is it definitely helps the wheel return to center and helps keep the vehicle in a straight line. It also stiffens up the steering feeI, almost sport like. I will say I have only driven my Jeep one time since the install but will be taking it to Death Valley for a 5 day trip next week. It should be about 1200 road miles and 300-500 off-road through some rugged terrain. I plan on writing a review upon my return. I have attached some pictures of my installs.

Jeep Wrangler JL Exact Center is a steering stabilizer new for Jeeps IMG_1879

Buddy if you are tuned spread the bellows ribbed section to 9.5" when wheels are straight. Should measure about 4"-9.5"-4" and then make zip ties tight. You could use hose clamps or zip ties.
If you do not space as above turning will push the bellows around. call tony 1-989-448-2501 or email [email protected] PIWcorp Gaylord Michigan [email protected]

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Rob,
when setting up your EC on the tie rod you don’t have to use the predetermined measurement. That’s more for the factory location.

Just give yourself a 1/4” of thread between shock body and the jamb nut against the eyelet. Make sure you make it as even as possible on both ends. Make sure that your wheels are dead straight then attach the EC on the track bar bolt first then move clamp to fit other end and tighten clamp. I found that the more attention to detail of these steps leads to fewer adjustments for pulling one way or the other. I don’t know if this is in the instructions or not, I’ve never read them. But this is the best way I found that works for me. You can PM me if you have any questions……

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Any idea when these will be shipping? I ordered almost 2 weeks ago, was told it was in stock, my card was charged immediately, but still have not even received any shipping info, let alone the stabilizer.

Pulled the trigger as I wanted to test it on my 1000 mile drive this weekend.

Hucke_250

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Sport
Any idea when these will be shipping? I ordered almost 2 weeks ago, was told it was in stock, my card was charged immediately, but still have not even received any shipping info, let alone the stabilizer.

I ordered the 110psi unit around the same time as you and I received the tracking number a couple days ago. Its supposed to be delivered by UPS on Tuesday 3/15.

Last edited:

Sponsored

tmgarmon

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland
I followed this thread for quite a while before purchasing an Exact Center...........................
Looks good buddy. I ended up using the Steer Smarts 79029002 YETI XD Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. I just didn't feel comfortable with the idea of the Track Bar bolt doing double duty. Had to drill one hole for mounting.

Edit: I have an unused Synergy bolt in my Jeep Junk drawer if anybody wants one.

Jeep Wrangler JL Exact Center is a steering stabilizer new for Jeeps Steersmarts Bracket

Exact Center

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
johnd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Rubicon 392 XR
Occupation
Inventor
Vehicle Showcase
There seems to be many real jeep people who can help with the Exact Center install. [email protected] my grandson is a good choice, but the builders like Roky and others have now become the place for info I think anyone with a mod should follow. I know nothing. Thanks, you have all graduated from my limited knowledge, use Tony and the others from now on. to save the straight axle see Tony's facebook page SAVE THE STRAIGHT AXLE and show us your EC mount. I hope our little idea Exact Center can SAVE THE STRAIGHT AXLE.

Last edited:

shepboyrd

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392
Occupation
Design Team with Exact Center

Just sent your tracking

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
I installed the 140PSI unit today. I must have received a defective product, as left turn has no pressure. Right turn has decent pressure.

Here are some videos demonstrating the defect:

This is a long version showing full lock to lock turns

After calling Road master, they suggested that full lock turns would not return to center (new information to me), so I did a smaller turn. I even tried nudging it or bumping it.

What I noticed while doing the test, I can use a pinky in the center of the wheel and turn to full lock left while the jeep is lifted in the air, and turned off.

I cannot use the pinky to turn to full right from center. I have to use a couple of fingers. There is noticeable resistance going to the right...dead going left.

Here is a shorter video show less than full lock turns:

As it sits now, Road master thinks I may have had air leak from the shock (again news to me---I didn't realize these where air filled. ) They are doing research to figure out what the next step is.

Update: Abe from Roadmaster just called. He said it may be a hydraulic issue. That makes more sense. The above reference to air was from another tech, that was probably not familiar with the product.
Sponsored

Last edited: