ex-Canadian Jeep imported in US - Warranty question

psuslov

First Name
Pavel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Sahara
Hey guys! Future Wrangler owner is here. I'm about to purchase used ex-Canadian 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL in US and have a question about warranty - is it gonna be still valid here, in US? The car was sold brand new in Canada and then imported in US and offered for sale. Will I have any problems if something happens and it's gonna be a warranty issue?

Thanks a lot and really looking forward to joining you guys!
Sponsored

Agent47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito! JLU 2.0T (Built 7/4)
Why bother? Just get a US-spec one. There are hundreds of thousands of them out there. Do you really want the headache of a foreign-spec? Speedometer and odometer will be in kilometers for one.

Timmybung

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (4-door)
Not sure how much this applies but in 2016 I purchased a 2014 JKU Rubicon in the US that was a Canada-spec model and the warranty did not apply in the US. I was told I would be able to get warranty service if I drove the Jeep to Canada which is something but not super useful...
The local (non-Jeep) dealer did send out the gauge cluster to have it converted to MPH as part of the deal which was nice. After that was updated the only indication it wasn't US-spec was the degrees noted in Celsius on the climate controls.

tyresmoker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 Limited EcoDiesel; '19 JLU Sahara-sting gray; 2017 Grand Cherokee SRT (sold);
Warranty is VOID. FCA voids all factory warranties on Canadian titled units brought back to the US.

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
It sounds crazy, but typically Canadian cars do not have a warranty of any kind if they are imported to the US. Not sure why manufacturers do this, but itā€™s been this way for as long as I can recall

Sponsored

tyresmoker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 Limited EcoDiesel; '19 JLU Sahara-sting gray; 2017 Grand Cherokee SRT (sold);
It sounds crazy, but typically Canadian cars do not have a warranty of any kind if they are imported to the US. Not sure why manufacturers do this, but itā€™s been this way for as long as I can recall
To keep people from importing vehicles from Canada, taking advantage of favorable exchange rates and pricing.

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
To keep people from importing vehicles from Canada, taking advantage of favorable exchange rates and pricing.
Well....if you want to talk about the obvious answer. LOL You're absolutely right.

I have relatives that have moved back and forth between the US and Canada for work over the years and the warranty issue has come up a few times with them when they brought their cars. I would think that the manufacturers should make some sort of exemption if you've owned the vehicle for a year or so before bringing it into the US. Oh well, you're right in your answer; there'd be a lot more gray market imports if they had full warranties.

OP
OP
psuslov

psuslov

First Name
Pavel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Sahara
Thank you guys a lot! You saved me from warranty trouble!
I was looking at this rare Nacho Sahara with Tan interior and fell in love with it, but decided to check the warranty thing last minute! Now I am going to look at US models only =)

Also found this article:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-2002-06-02-0206020080-story.html

In 2003 Chrysler decided not to honor a warranty on Canadian-imported cars (Including Jeep).

Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 12.14.18 PM copy.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-12-05 at 12.14.28 PM copy.jpg

ResponsibleAdult

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Rubicon, Mojito
It's the same in the opposite direction. No warranty on US vehicles brought into Canada.

ResponsibleAdult

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Rubicon, Mojito
I was looking at this rare Nacho Sahara with Tan interior and fell in love with it, but decided to check the warranty thing last minute! Now I am going to look at US models only =)

Also found this article:

In 2003 Chrysler decided not to honor a warranty on Canadian-imported cars (Including Jeep).

So.... Where is that Sahara?

Asking for a friend....

:cwl:

Sponsored

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Also found this article:

I think that combo is rare for a reason! Not exactly complimentary colors. I am thinking internally bruised banana!

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
This is manufacturer specific BTW. I owned a Ford imported from Canada and the warranty was honored. I made the selling dealer sign a document stating that if the MFG declared the warranty void because it was originally sold in Canada that they would cover the cost of warranty repairs. Dealership owner signed it, saying warranty is good. It was too, had an issue with the sidesteps and Ford ponied up without a second thought. Another difference is that the connected features may be different on a Canadian spec vehicle. Still, if FCA voids the warranty, you either need to be able to take it to Canada for the service, or willing to eat the cost yourself. Personally I'd steer clear.

tyresmoker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think that combo is rare for a reason! Not exactly complimentary colors. I am thinking internally bruised banana!
The black armrest just does not work with that interior...
Sponsored