Sponsored

Evolution of the Jeep: Willys --> CJ --> Wrangler --> JT Scrambler (Video)

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Great video detailing the history of the Jeep from Willy to CJ to Wrangler! This rich history is a big part of what makes Jeep enthusiasts so enthusiastic :)

And love that they put the JT Jeep Scrambler pickup in there.

Sponsored

myfirstjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
empty
Hmm, the Willys made 17 mpg back in the 50s and the JL is making around 20 in 2018.

Jeeptimus Prime

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR
Hmm, the Willys made 17 mpg back in the 50s and the JL is making around 20 in 2018.
I know you are being sarcastic but how safe is the WIllys to drive around in? Unfortunately safety adds allot of weight which of course affects MPG (not to mention the size increase too). Throw that Willys engine into a 2018 JL and it will get 4 MPG...lol.

Video is nice but missed a few iterations of Wranglers and to end on a JT?!?

Last edited:

Sponsored

myfirstjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
empty
I know you are being sarcastic but how safe is the WIllys to drive around in? Unfortunately safety adds allot of weight which of course affects MPG (not to mention the size increase too). Throw that Willys engine into a 2018 JL and it will get 4 MPG...lol.

No sarcasm here, friend. Sarcasm is hard to convey over text vs. verbal. Just an observation I made about the comparative MPGs.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator

Yes and would be underpowered. My 1972 Series III Land Rover has a 4 banger that is marginal at modern highway speeds, and requires generous use of gearing at least when high altitude off-roading in the Rockies.

Probably not as safe as today's vehicles either. On the other hand, concern for safety and elimination of risk when taken too far, can suck the fun and certainly adventure out of life. Real adventure requires real risk. Else it's just Disneyland. I sure had a lot of fun in my old 1970 CJ-5, even though some considered that vehicle a death trap, lol.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
The video says the JT will have a 3.6 with 315hp. I haven't been watching JT news for a long time, was this announced?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
The video says the JT will have a 3.6 with 315hp. I haven't been watching JT news for a long time, was this announced?
Well, if Jeep commissioned this video, then I'd say it was just announced. However, I'm not sure that is the case, partly because they skipped the JL. Man, I'd LOVE it if the 3.6 gets bumped to 315 horsepower! I can't help but doubt it, though.

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Isn't that a 10% boost? So if HP & torque both go up, it'll be 315/285. (Currently 285 HP & 260 ft/lbs @ 4400rpm)

The Ecodiesel gets 240 & 420 ft/lbs @ 2000rpm!

I'm still all in on the oil burner. Keep your weak sauce V6 FCA.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Again, this looks like a fan video, no first JK, no 2012 Pentastar, no JL.

And the JT getting a more robust variation than the JL , like the RAM does (currently 305HP on the old Pentastar) makes sense.

Also that quoted number might be close to what it gets with BSG contributing 20HP.

Extremely unlikely that the JL PUG/PSU will be 315HP on its own, and likely not even 315 next Summer with the JL getting the BSG.

Reactions: JAY

mjindy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius (Wife’s); 2021 Sting Grey Willys Unlimited
Great video detailing the history of the Jeep from Willy to CJ to Wrangler! This rich history is a big part of what makes Jeep enthusiasts so enthusiastic :)

And love that they put the JT Jeep Scrambler pickup in there.

That’s a great video. Thanks for sharing.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
CJ3B is missing. JL is missing. It gives an insanely low production number for the CJ8 Scrambler. Claims the the CJ7 was made famous by the Dukes of Hazzard. Says that the YJ used an XJ suspension and interior. I’m sure there are other big errors.
Sponsored