Evo VS Metalcloak suspension systems

Aspaztikcolon

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Looking at suspension systems, these two look like the top tier. Metalcloak markets their super cool bushings for more articulation but Evo seems to be more expensive and uses, what seem to be more traditional bushings. What are the differences in these companies? Can you go wrong with either?
Sponsored

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Both are top notch companies. I personally run Evo coilovers but would not hesitate to have run Metalcloak had the features I wanted been available.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
I do really like Metalcloaks bushings but you can’t beat EVOs either. Tough decision. I ran Synergy CA and they had their own style of DD bushings. They were great. After this edit I think I would stay with MC. The bushings are quieter and more OEM like ride with great flex.

Last edited:

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Big thing with MC is they are virtually maintenance free. We have installed a lot of MC lifts and the feedback is always incredible. Really happy with them and if I could change one thing is would be to have more shock options valved to their spring rate available.

Brett

ALEX-4LO

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2020 JLUR - Project JL's
I’m using Metalcloaks 3.5 game changer kit with rock sport shocks. MC control arms are heavy duty and there customer service is best around. I am thinking of eventually using king shocks but will never use EVOs control arms. MC uses duroflex joints low maintenance and rebuildable. There springs are dual rate super flex and comfortable ride on the pavement. Metal cloak all the way!

Sponsored

KansasJL

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn’t EVO run the Curry Johnny Joints in their control arms? If so they are also rebuildable. I ran the Savvy lift on my TJ with the Johnny Joints and I loved them.

FirecrackerRubi

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Firecracker red Rubicon Unlimited
Doesn’t EVO run the Curry Johnny Joints in their control arms? If so they are also rebuildable. I ran the Savvy lift on my TJ with the Johnny Joints and I loved them.
To my knowledge, yes EVO uses Currie JJ's and they are rebuildable but not advertised as no service needed. You'll need to grease and clean out the JJ's every so often to ensure longer life. Don't let that be the deciding factor though bc JJ's are great for flex, ride, durability, and they are long lasting. They are usually my go-to joint, but I'm leaning towards Metalcloak control arms when the time comes bc of their joint's reputation. They seem to be doing very well since they came out in the JK world a few years ago.

you really can't go wrong with either choice. Price and which company you'd like to support is really it. Both are great.

moodywizard

First Name
Lyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I was looking at MC vs EVO as well. Main differences being the joints and springs. Went with EVO for the linear springs and joints as they are more proven over the lang haul, IMO. If possible I would look at it separately depending on your "end goal", use one MFG for the arms and other mfg for springs and shocks to get what you want.

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
I'm collecting parts for my 2020, and I've decided to go with EVO. Many have mentioned the joints. The Currie Johnny Joints have been proven for many years of hardcore use and they're employed by many brands.

EVO isn't in the business of making shocks. While MC has a great concept with the GC shocks, they're still a bit of a gimmick at this point. Sure, they said that they've recently fixed the leaking problems, but that doesn't give them much experience with success. King shocks have long been proven and are the gold standard in offroad competition.

These two points alone are convincing enough for me. I don't need gimmicks - I need durability and a proven track record.

RanchoShocks

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.gorancho.com
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
A joint like what Metal Cloak and what we use are both rebuildable. :)
Our D2 bushing have 10's of thousands of hours of abuse on trails all over the country.
An image of our bushing ;)

FB_IMG_14997208331238438.jpg

Sponsored

Rock Krawler Suspension

First Name
Tech Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rockkrawler.com
Vehicle(s)
Red JLUR, White JLUR, Yellow JL (3 so far), Bikini Diesel JLU, Billet JT, Hydro Blue JT
Tons of options out there, some rod ends will require more maintenance than others but the trade-off is typically joint misalignment. Production Rock Krawler arms, for example a lower control arm, use our Pro Flex joint at the frame and our Krawler Joint at the axle. This combination provides 90 degrees of total misalignment, but you will have to give them a small squirt of grease from time to time, typically every 4-6 months.

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Last edited:

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I've got to 2nd Roky on this ^^^. "Z" in your diagram is the angle of misalignment that is most important for flexibility.

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
That looks like what was arbitrarily labeled as "Z" or "twist" in the illustration.

It also looks like 20ish degrees rather than the one half of 90 degrees. Maybe they mean to explain that the joint can flex 45 degrees, although that might only be possible if the control arms were not bolted into control arm brackets that constrain the movement.
Sponsored