Evo Pro Long Arm vs Metalcloak 3.5 Game Changer for JLUR

SaltyJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Hi All,

I'm a jeep noob, but not new to off-roading. I've been researching quite a bit and think I have my choice of lifts narrowed down to 2 options:

EVO Pro High Clearance Long Arm with Coilovers
-or-
Metalcloak 3.5 Game Changer with 6-pack shocks

both lifts on 37 or 38 inch tires.

I'm looking for something that offers the best off-road performance, ability to handle the weight of camping gear (weekend overland trips) and has good on-road manners (as good as stock or better).

Do any of you have experience running these lifts on your JL's, and if so, what kind of advice can you give? Also, if you have any recommendations that maybe I am not considering, I'm open to new information. I just want to buy once, cry once, and not have to regret my decision later.

Thanks All!
Sponsored

Last edited:

AccuTunedJL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Those are two very very different kits. For the best on-road performance, I would suggest a tuned 2.0 shock. Those will provide a great ride on the street and for overland trips. However, if you plan to add a lot of constant weight, coilovers are great for a Jeep with a large amount of added weight. Coilovers have a lot of adjustability with lift height, spring rates, valving and adjusters.

OP
OP
SaltyJLUR

SaltyJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Are you going to be installing yourself?
No unfortunately I don’t have the knowledge or skill to do the work myself. I’ve received quotes from a couple shops and they quoted me $3500 to install the kit completely.

• Wow
Reactions: GtX

AccuTunedJL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
No unfortunately I don’t have the knowledge or skill to do the work myself. I’ve received quotes from a couple shops and they quoted me $3500 to install the kit completely.
WOW.... thats a lot. I assume thats for the coilover kit with King Shocks

Sponsored

OP
OP
SaltyJLUR

SaltyJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
WOW.... thats a lot. I assume thats for the coilover kit with King Shocks
No. That’s for the labor to remove the stock suspension and mounts and weld on the new mounting hardware and upper and lower control arms, install Coilover shocktower and shocks, and all other components included in the lift kit.
What does it typically cost? Like I said...I’m new to this.
The quotes I have for the complete long arm lift with Coilover suspension install, with wheels and tires ranged from $15,500-$17,200.

AccuTunedJL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
No. That’s for the labor to remove the stock suspension and mounts and weld on the new mounting hardware and upper and lower control arms, install Coilover shocktower and shocks, and all other components included in the lift kit.
The quotes I have for the complete long arm lift with Coilover suspension install, with wheels and tires ranged from $15,500-$17,200.
Sorry, thats what I meant... remove and install labor. Cutting & welding is where the labor price will go up.

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
That price is ridiculous honestly. I can think of a lot of better ways to spend that money. Yr better off just getting a 3.5” lift and fender cut and call it a day for like 4k. Dont forget re-gear to 5.13 if you go 38’s. Long arm kits are great if you can do the work yourself... thats why I asked. I know you wont be able to out drive a short arm kit. For 15 k I can build a xj with a stroker and coils that will smoke a JL with a winch etc...
Btw you wont want to go hard with stock axles on 38’s so thats another 12k....

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
For what its worth take his advice, accutune knows their stuff. If your looking for a truly good riding vehicle, listen to what he says, my evo coilovers ride not nearly as good as the set up i had from them

Sponsored

OP
OP
SaltyJLUR

SaltyJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That price is ridiculous honestly. I can think of a lot of better ways to spend that money. Yr better off just getting a 3.5” lift and fender cut and call it a day for like 4k. Dont forget re-gear to 5.13 if you go 38’s. Long arm kits are great if you can do the work yourself... thats why I asked. I know you wont be able to out drive a short arm kit. For 15 k I can build a xj with a stroker and coils that will smoke a JL with a winch etc...
Btw you wont want to go hard with stock axles on 38’s so thats another 12k....
So you dont think the benefits of the Evo long arm with Coilovers justifies the cost? I know 15K is expensive. Honestly, I thought I'd be able to get a top shelf lift, wheels, tires, bumpers, winch, lighting, and re-gearing all for $15k but I'm not so sure anymore.

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
So you dont think the benefits of the Evo long arm with Coilovers justifies the cost? I know 15K is expensive. Honestly, I thought I'd be able to get a top shelf lift, wheels, tires, bumpers, winch, lighting, and re-gearing all for $15k but I'm not so sure anymore.
Question is , whi wins: a noob with 15k of long arm and coil overs? Or a veteran with similar lift height with standard short arm kit? Long arm kit is better artiulation, and better on the road absolutely, but if you did the work yourself thats like 3k and your time. Id rather use the 15k to pay off my loan on the jeep ... the JL is pretty damn capable with 3.5” short arm and long travel shocks , 37’s and fenders , solid winch . For the type of rig you want to build youll also want pro rocks and you havent factored them in. What kind of trails are you planning on doing that you feel you need a long arm kit???

OP
OP
SaltyJLUR

SaltyJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Question is , whi wins: a noob with 15k of long arm and coil overs? Or a veteran with similar lift height with standard short arm kit? Long arm kit is better artiulation, and better on the road absolutely, but if you did the work yourself thats like 3k and your time. Id rather use the 15k to pay off my loan on the jeep ... the JL is pretty damn capable with 3.5” short arm and long travel shocks , 37’s and fenders , solid winch . For the type of rig you want to build youll also want pro rocks and you havent factored them in. What kind of trails are you planning on doing that you feel you need a long arm kit???
Well I’m definitely going to want to hit the Rubicon and Fordyce Creek Trails. Moab and Sand Hollow are also on my list. There are a lot of local trails near me like Big Bear, Ca John Bull Trail, and a few others. Then there the Sledge Hammer and Jack Hammer in Johnson Valley, Ca, also not too far from me.
To answer your question, I’m not sure that a long arm would benefit me significantly on any of these trails, but maybe I’m wrong. I just know that articulation is important and the more I can get, the better my Jeep will be and the less damage I’m likely to sustain.
Pro-Rocks are definitely on my build sheet, I just don’t halve the funds to do them with the lift. I will definitely have them by next summer though. I’ve thought about RCV chromoly axles for now. That I can do myself.

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
Well I’m definitely going to want to hit the Rubicon and Fordyce Creek Trails. Moab and Sand Hollow are also on my list. There are a lot of local trails near me like Big Bear, Ca John Bull Trail, and a few others. Then there the Sledge Hammer and Jack Hammer in Johnson Valley, Ca, also not too far from me.
To answer your question, I’m not sure that a long arm would benefit me significantly on any of these trails, but maybe I’m wrong. I just know that articulation is important and the more I can get, the better my Jeep will be and the less damage I’m likely to sustain.
Pro-Rocks are definitely on my build sheet, I just don’t halve the funds to do them with the lift. I will definitely have them by next summer though. I’ve thought about RCV chromoly axles for now. That I can do myself.
Those are all decent trails but if you have good skid protection, and also beffy rock rails and buMprs youll be fine. How long are you realistically going to keep your jeep? Ive had and installed 3.5” game changers by MC and they did flex a lot for a short arm. On a jL 3.5 is really like a 4-6” lift on a jk.... That evo kit is sick but for me the cost to benefit ratio is just not there if youre paying a shop.

OP
OP
SaltyJLUR

SaltyJLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Those are all decent trails but if you have good skid protection, and also beffy rock rails and buMprs youll be fine. How long are you realistically going to keep your jeep? Ive had and installed 3.5” game changers by MC and they did flex a lot for a short arm. On a jL 3.5 is really like a 4-6” lift on a jk.... That evo kit is sick but for me the cost to benefit ratio is just not there if youre paying a shop.
I think the Jeep is something we will keep for a long time. I can see it getting passed down to one of the kids.
Sponsored