Sponsored

Evo Mfg Body Mounted Tire Carriers - Available Now!

anotheraznguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t think it is more sunk. I’m saying that with the offset of the rims and 13.5 wide tires you lose field of vision. This isn’t an Evo design flaw just a flaw of having a camera mounted there unless someone comes out with an adjustable camera tube length or spacer for the camera to push it out for larger tires with different offsets
Did you mount the 37's on the oem carrier? Was the wheel shown just as bad? Also is there provisions for mounting a CB antennae?
Sponsored

Weebz

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU
Did you mount the 37's on the oem carrier? Was the wheel shown just as bad? Also is there provisions for mounting a CB antennae?
I didn’t mount it on the OEM. Wasn’t going to risk it. There is a provision for an antenna.

OP
OP
River City Offroad

River City Offroad

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.RiverCityOffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Triple White - RK 3.5" X-Factor Stage 1 / Steer Smarts / Mickey Thompson / Fuel
Occupation
Owner at River City Offroad
Anyone else reading this, you can pull the plastic trim off the inside of the tail gate and unplug the brake light and camera to completely remove the stock spare tire mount. I have had mine on and off at least 5 or 6 times trying different relocation kits and the Mopar hinge. Just disconnect the whole thing and remove it to avoid any scratches or damage to anything.

Weebz

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU
Anyone else reading this, you can pull the plastic trim off the inside of the tail gate and unplug the brake light and camera to completely remove the stock spare tire mount. I have had mine on and off at least 5 or 6 times trying different relocation kits and the Mopar hinge. Just disconnect the whole thing and remove it to avoid any scratches or damage to anything.
Now you tell us! Lol

Sponsored

tjrgsa

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2000 Camaro SS
Occupation
IT
Man, I do NOT like the backup camera solution with this carrier. It has to use the factory screws which are TINY T8, and I stripped one even though I was barely using any force. I've now lost that one due to vibration (just bought some thread locker that I'm going to put on the other two to be safe), and it doesn't look like you can buy these screws separately. Waiting to see if the dealership tells me otherwise.

Wish EVO designed something to replace the stock one, more like this:

https://www.addictivedesertdesigns.com/jeep-wrangler-jl-backup-camera-relocation-AC96157001

I'm tempted to see if I could open up those holes for a larger/more common screw, but if I mess up I might have to buy the entire damn assembly.

Really hoping I can find those screws somewhere, not sure of the size though I'm guessing a #4, and since it's for plastic I'm not sure on the type either...

traviswalker007

First Name
Tony T Walker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I'd rather not have my 37" tire fall off from a carrier and kill someone because of cheap chinese steel poorly welded, or have it tweak my $1500 tailgate. There are certain things on a Jeep where you shouldn't save money...a spare tire carrier is one of them.
just a heads up man, 95% of steel is exported from china!!! if you can tell the difference from USA steel and China steel please let us know.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
just a heads up man, 95% of steel is exported from china!!! if you can tell the difference from USA steel and China steel please let us know.
Many companies source US made steel, dynatrac for instance.

x7tristan

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Would the Mopar 3rd brake light relocation kit, that mounts on lug nuts, work with this carrier instead of using the evo bracket that mounts on the camera?

Sponsored

tjrgsa

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2000 Camaro SS
Occupation
IT
Would the Mopar 3rd brake light relocation kit, that mounts on lug nuts, work with this carrier instead of using the evo bracket that mounts on the camera?
I don't have the Mopar one so I can't speak to it, but I did replace the screws with M3.5x9.5mm (about the same as #6x3/8") after I accidentally stripped two of the holes, and they hold far better. I did hear something crack on the plastic part of the backup camera (not the mounting cone), though there's no visible damage, so maybe even go down one size to a M3 or #4. That will still be bigger than stock and should hold up a bit better.

x7tristan

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The antenna mount on the Evo tire carrier is powder coated, do people sand off this coat to expose the bare metal for a proper ground?
Sponsored