Sponsored

EVO lift / King Shock issue (with a fix)

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
I recently installed an EVO 3.5” Stage 2 Overland lift with King 2.5 shocks with remote reservoirs, and both front and rear EVO track bars. Also ended up adding EVO front UCAs to dial in castor better.

The issue was with full articulation, the shocks would hit the frame, like super early into flex. The King reservoir brackets where causing some of it (taking up 1/4” of the space needed). So I cut those shorter and added another bolt to secure them. You can see in the pic it is cut short and painted gray.

Even with the King brackets cut out of the way, I was still getting major contact (you could see the shock shaft bending). After much head scratching, calls and emails to King, convos with friends and a local shop, I thought of increased offset bushings. King uses offset bushings, but they needed more. I had new bushings milled from stainless (so I didn’t have to worry about coating) with 1/4” more offset to the outside. That was the ticket.

It was very frustrating to buy a kit that was supposed to work off the shelf and run into these issues. Maybe there is a good explanation for it?? Despite the trouble, I’m stoked that it was a relatively easy fix and it’s back up and running now.

On a brighter note, even though these shocks have less travel than the cheap Bilsteins I took off, I beat the other JLs on a recent local RTI contest. Both were similar lift heights and on 37”s; one Teraflex lift and their fancy shocks, the other on what I think was a Mopar lift.
Jeep Wrangler JL EVO lift / King Shock issue (with a fix) 925C3AD3CAD34E66848A

This was full bump both sides, not articulated, just showing the cut bracket.
Jeep Wrangler JL EVO lift / King Shock issue (with a fix) A2694812310B432EA9CA

Jeep Wrangler JL EVO lift / King Shock issue (with a fix) B5DF88ACB4DD41838E8A

Jeep Wrangler JL EVO lift / King Shock issue (with a fix) 6F53793AD2024576AD6D

Jeep Wrangler JL EVO lift / King Shock issue (with a fix) BE1CC7D29D82480B8A39

For those that prefer videos, here’s the final flex on both sides.

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I recently installed an EVO 3.5” Stage 2 Overland lift with King 2.5 shocks with remote reservoirs, and both front and rear EVO track bars. Also ended up adding EVO front UCAs to dial in castor better.

The issue was with full articulation, the shocks would hit the frame, like super early into flex. The King reservoir brackets where causing some of it (taking up 1/4” of the space needed). So I cut those shorter and added another bolt to secure them. You can see in the pic it is cut short and painted gray.

Even with the King brackets cut out of the way, I was still getting major contact (you could see the shock shaft bending). After much head scratching, calls and emails to King, convos with friends and a local shop, I thought of increased offset bushings. King uses offset bushings, but they needed more. I had new bushings milled from stainless (so I didn’t have to worry about coating) with 1/4” more offset to the outside. That was the ticket.

It was very frustrating to buy a kit that was supposed to work off the shelf and run into these issues. Maybe there is a good explanation for it?? Despite the trouble, I’m stoked that it was a relatively easy fix and it’s back up and running now.

On a brighter note, even though these shocks have less travel than the cheap Bilsteins I took off, I beat the other JLs on a recent local RTI contest. Both were similar lift heights and on 37”s; one Teraflex lift and their fancy shocks, the other on what I think was a Mopar lift.

This was full bump both sides, not articulated, just showing the cut bracket.

For those that prefer videos, here’s the final flex on both sides.

I had the same issue with the fox 2.5s.

Jeep Wrangler JL EVO lift / King Shock issue (with a fix) 37225601-DEE0-4FEA-8EB9-778477228EB7

I couldn’t push the top out though because of my resi hose. It’s tucked behind my inner fender and if I moved the top out any it would push my inner out to where my sway link would make contact with it at full stuff.

Jeep Wrangler JL EVO lift / King Shock issue (with a fix) B560AA94-BC63-4505-B622-7DBB4AE4C119

So I got some EVO shock relocation brackets to move the bottom out.....

Jeep Wrangler JL EVO lift / King Shock issue (with a fix) FD37FE87-8D37-448F-BAF2-94DA083F5585

here’s after .....

Jeep Wrangler JL EVO lift / King Shock issue (with a fix) 19E632B1-DBA8-4A2D-8489-0430E35DCD8C

I really like your fix better, but I would have to figure out where else to put my reservoir. The hose is to long to mount it like the kings do. Oh well.....first world problems, right.....lol.

Engine Guy

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Engineer
I've been researching all the different shocks while also researching the different lift kits. How do you like the ride with the King's? King's industry reputation is very good so I was curious about how that particular model rides.

Thanks!

AccuTunedJL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Thanks for sharing. I'm sure you have the trac bar adjusted so the axle was centered right?

Last edited:
OP
OP
1996cc

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Thanks for sharing. I'm sure you have the trac bar adjusted so the axle was centered right?
Oh yes, it’s less than a 1/16” off from center. And it hits both sides, It it was off-center, it would likely only hit one.

Sponsored

OP
OP
1996cc

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
I've been researching all the different shocks while also researching the different lift kits. How do you like the ride with the King's? King's industry reputation is very good so I was curious about how that particular model rides.

Thanks!
I need to get back to the dunes to try them more. I only had the rears in before I got the front bushings made. I could tell the rear wanted to settle in the whoops similar to a trophy truck, but they were being over-worked by the front wanting to pogo-stick with the Bilstein 5150s. Around town they seem better also, like turning into a driveway fast and your Jeep wants to rock side to side a few times- it helps there.
I also went to all Johnny-joints in the front control arms from the factory rubber, so some things seem a little harsher, but I don’t think that’s the shock’s fault.

Engine Guy

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Engineer
I need to get back to the dunes to try them more. I only had the rears in before I got the front bushings made. I could tell the rear wanted to settle in the whoops similar to a trophy truck, but they were being over-worked by the front wanting to pogo-stick with the Bilstein 5150s. Around town they seem better also, like turning into a driveway fast and your Jeep wants to rock side to side a few times- it helps there.
I also went to all Johnny-joints in the front control arms from the factory rubber, so some things seem a little harsher, but I don’t think that’s the shock’s fault.
Sorry for the delay in responding! Thank you for the feedback. It sounds like these may be excellent for higher speed bumps. I'm planning for daily driver plus rock crawling duty. One thing that these have going for them though is that they can be re-tuned. Lots to think about!

OP
OP
1996cc

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Just got off the Rubicon Trail. No complaints with the shocks (wasn’t really the trip to evaluate shocks, I was 7000 pounds with the wife, 2 kids, and all our gear, food, etc..). EXCEPT this-

72A2E9659A554E6D8994.jpg

Both sides are the same, they both hit. I tested full articulation at install, but not at full lock on each side. I figured King and EVO would have had that figured out. Maybe all this stuff is normal? But pretty disappointing to spend this kind of cash and have all these interference issues...

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
What backspacing. / offset are you running?

OP
OP
1996cc

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
4.75” KMC XD 231 RG beadlocks with 37”x12.5” Nittos

Sponsored

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
Looks like the instructions call for 5 or less, so I guess you should be good. Those King 2.5’s are pretty beefy though. Was just curious as I think my EVO kit called for 4.25 or 3.75 or something. Not 100% sure as the latest online instructions for the coilovers just say “wheel backspacing adjustments may be required”, probably due to many interference complaints. I like my EVO kit, but they sure don’t provide much wiggle room for any variances...

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Just got off the Rubicon Trail. No complaints with the shocks (wasn’t really the trip to evaluate shocks, I was 7000 pounds with the wife, 2 kids, and all our gear, food, etc..). EXCEPT this-

Jeep Wrangler JL EVO lift / King Shock issue (with a fix) 72A2E9659A554E6D8994

Both sides are the same, they both hit. I tested full articulation at install, but not at full lock on each side. I figured King and EVO would have had that figured out. Maybe all this stuff is normal? But pretty disappointing to spend this kind of cash and have all these interference issues...
Quick fix. Adjust your steering stops a turn or so.

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
4.75” KMC XD 231 RG beadlocks with 37”x12.5” Nittos
I just ordered my evo kit with king shocks but i went with a 2.5 lift instead. My wheel offset is 3.5. Do you think I will have the same issue with the shock? And with the rubbing?

OP
OP
1996cc

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
You may not have the rubbing issue with less backspacing, but I don’t see how you couldn’t still have the frame/shock interference... Mine was literally hitting at like 2” of uptravel from full droop, with full droop on the other side.