Sponsored

Ever race anyone in your jeep? Whats the reaction you get when you win?

MonLee

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Sport S
0-60 is also a single point of reference, the STI has a slower 0-60 than the WRX because it cannot reach 60 in 2nd gear, while the WRX can. The STI is a lot faster than a WRX and yet has a slower 0-60? Interesting how a single point of reference can easily spread misinformation. There are probably a lot of people out there who genuinely believe that a WRX is faster than an STI...

Would a 392 handle being on a track without overheating? Because an STI can handle it, its a big part of why they cost so much.
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
0-60 is also a single point of reference, the STI has a slower 0-60 than the WRX because it cannot reach 60 in 2nd gear, while the WRX can. The STI is a lot faster than a WRX and yet has a slower 0-60? Interesting how a single point of reference can easily spread misinformation. There are probably a lot of people out there who genuinely believe that a WRX is faster than an STI...

Would a 392 handle being on a track without overheating? Because an STI can handle it, its a big part of why they cost so much.
I don’t think anybody ever implied that a Jeep was suited for the track, or a sports car for that matter. What’s incredibly impressive is the number of “sports cars” the modern wrangler rubicon can hang with and/or destroy in a straight line depending on the powertrain choice. The 392 is ridiculous given that motor trend and others beat Jeep’s advertised 4.5 by .3 seconds. 4.2s 0-60 is quick for any production vehicle let alone a solid axle, slightly lifted, rubicon on 33” all terrains. 4xe’s have been tested in the low 5’s, and pretty much every other drivetrain in the low to mid 6’s. And yet you still get the “it’s a Jeep and it’s slow af”crowd. Around a track, of course it’s slow with it’s heft, big all terrain tires, high center of gravity, etc. The idea that it won’t possible embarrass a lot of car drivers from light to light is just flat wrong. How’s the sti handle the rubicon trail? Sounds just as dumb as “how’s the wrangler on the track”.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
On a flat line race any box with a big engine is fast. I dont get much satisfaction from this, but some people do. A lot of the "race cars" are slow on a flat line but can keep their speed around turns and such. All the weight from all that muscle for fast accel is detrimental for most racing, so a lot of sport cars sacrifice 0-60 for better handling at higher speeds. idk why this is so surprising to people. I guess muscle car culture is strong.

MonLee

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Sport S
I don’t think anybody ever implied that a Jeep was suited for the track, or a sports car for that matter. What’s incredibly impressive is the number of “sports cars” the modern wrangler rubicon can hang with and/or destroy in a straight line depending on the powertrain choice. The 392 is ridiculous given that motor trend and others beat Jeep’s advertised 4.5 by .3 seconds. 4.2s 0-60 is quick for any production vehicle let alone a solid axle, slightly lifted, rubicon on 33” all terrains. 4xe’s have been tested in the low 5’s, and pretty much every other drivetrain in the low to mid 6’s. And yet you still get the “it’s a Jeep and it’s slow af”crowd. Around a track, of course it’s slow with it’s heft, big all terrain tires, high center of gravity, etc. The idea that it won’t possible embarrass a lot of car drivers from light to light is just flat wrong. How’s the sti handle the rubicon trail? Sounds just as dumb as “how’s the wrangler on the track”.
For the record my 2 door 3.6 feels plenty fast imo. "fast" is not an objective reality no matter how much you hear the journalists call things "fast" or "not fast" in a totally fatalistic tone. "quick" "fast" slow" even the famed "slow af" only exist for comparisons sake, they are meaningless when taken by themselves.

MudHunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon (Bright White)
Even the sti, which is not what the op described beating, is slow compared to the 392 Rubicon. So much for sports car...
It wasn't the OP of the thread that started down the WRX rabbit hole. It sprung from a conversation between @Bigfx1 and @crystalbackJL. I would wager that one, or both of them, were thinking of the STi when they said "WRX"*. Why would someone brag about beating a regular sedan (the WRX) in anything? That's like boasting that you two-gapped a base model Ford Focus light to light. If it's not an ST or an RS, why would anyone bother to even remember that "race"?

*Mixing the two is a common thing that seems to crop up because of how Subaru mixed/merged /separated the Imprezza/WRX/WRX STi nameplates.

Last edited:

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
But it stank a bit. I dont get why every 20 year old Japanese car owner has a stinky car. What are these guys all doing to their cars to make their supras, silvias, rx7/rx8, toyotas, etc smell like shit. And every one of their cars sets off my athsma worse than stinky 2000s ford diesels in the winter time
I can't speak for all Japanese cars, but I do know that some Hondas get pretty decent gains from a high flow catalytic converter (or test pipe) and a decent tune. A bad tune and a catalytic converter delete would make for stinky exhaust.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I can't speak for all Japanese cars, but I do know that some Hondas get pretty decent gains from a high flow catalytic converter (or test pipe) and a decent tune. A bad tune and a catalytic converter delete would make for stinky exhaust.
I was going to guess E85, I happen to like the distinct smell of it. But I also wonder how the winner of a "race" manages to smell the other car's exhaust.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Now these idiots where I live tune their crappy cars to burn rich which causes them to pop when they let off the gas. That’s probably what you smell.
They think it’s cool but it’s f**king stupid and annoying.

MonLee

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Sport S
All you need to do to make your car "pop and bang" is to keep injecting fuel and don't fire the spark plugs for a single rotation or 2, you would never smell that small amount of fuel. If your behind a smelly car it does not have a cat, its cat is old and worn out, or they have a "high flow cat" that still lets some of the NOx out the tailpipe.

F2F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL Sport Altitude 2.0L Turbo
I don’t go out looking for races but I have surprised some dudes driving chump trucks. Even had a guy in a manual Corolla or Camry try to race me. I eased into the gas and walked right by him. My 2.0L isn’t what I would call fast, but it’s quick.

Sponsored

OP
OP
LiveToWork

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
Now these idiots where I live tune their crappy cars to burn rich which causes them to pop when they let off the gas. That’s probably what you smell.
They think it’s cool but it’s f**king stupid and annoying.
Thats probably exactly it. Just cant stand them. And they all complain about how a guy with open headers on his 60s pontiac GTO doesnt get bothered by cops, but they get pulled over constantly by cops in their ricer. I told them on the fb group that its hard not to get stopped when your car sounds like a piece of shit in comparison to a gto. They didnt like that.

Skibikerun

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I had a similar experience with a mid 2000’s Audi S8 V8. We stayed together to about 45-50mph, then he started pulling on me. I think he was surprised. Love how quick this 2.0 can be - for a Jeep.

Rumplemenz

First Name
Geno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Explorer Sport, 1986 Ford Mustang Notchback
my 21’ 3.6 smoooooked a 18 explorer (non turbo)
I thght my buddy wasnt racing but later in week he said he nailed it on green but jeep just whopped him.
Thts all i got for ya’s

RELBUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ , 22 JLURXR 392
When I had my 18' 2.0 JLUR on 37's, I lined up against my brothers 2016 JKUR Hardrock with 5.38's and 35's and my JL had no problem taking him. The JL was not fast, but it was pretty damn peppy even with stock gears and 37's. The 392 IS fast, the looks you get from the sounds it makes is pretty funny...I have yet to race anyone.

InsulinMan

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep isnt fast, but for a jeep the 2.0 is quick!

Pulled up next to a kid in a highly modified rx8 ricer. He had the spoiler, loud exhaust, negative camber chrome wheels. We raced off the lights. I kept it floored until he gave up trying to catch me. Im just in a jeep with Baja pro 35s, 2 liter, no regear. He looked so upset he got beaten by a lifted jeep. Wouldnt roll his window down to talk after.

I came up behind a mustang gt that I saw kept floormatting it off lights in traffic. I caught up to him and kept up behind him for a bit. He had the loud crackling exhaust. Got up beside him 4 times at red lights and he stopped stepping on it. Too embarassed to try when he noticed he couldnt get me out of his rear view mirror before?

Im not out to be the fastest guy on the road, but I just like seeing peoples disappointed faces when they realize they couldnt shake a freakin box on wheels off their tail. I know the feeling. I was beat by a new minivan when I had my crown vic a few years back. Hurt the ego. a minivan, man.
This sounds so obnoxious lol. These people probably aren't giving you one second of attention and probably don't even know they're being "raced".
Sponsored