First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Have any of you ever bent or broken a drag link? If so was it factory or aftermarket? What brand? What were the conditions?
Sponsored

OP
OP
rkwfxd

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unemployed
So no one? Anybody ever seen it happen or heard about it happening?

AccuTunedJL

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Curious as to why you are asking? Those are usually pretty strong and very rare they would bend or break. But then again, anything is possible in the right scenario.

Sponsored

Cajun21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 Ram 1500
Wow over all the years I've been driving not seen or heard of anyone and personally I've broke some tie rods. lol not sure how. But I guess anything could happen you have a picture of one broken?

OP
OP
rkwfxd

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Unemployed
OK folks, this is why Im asking.

Had a TJ with beefy tie rod only. Never had an issue. Only failure was a front axle u-joint and I didn’t even notice that until I was home and doing the post run inspection.

I currently have a 21 Rubi on 315s. It will for sure be on 37s or bigger.

I am in the process of beefing the steering now. SteerSmarts sector shaft brace goes on this Fri.

2.5 Ton tie rod drag link traction bar etc will follow. But like a lot of folks, Im spending money on more tgan one thing at a time(house remodel, masters degree, RV repairs, jeep etc).

So in a perfect world, Id like to space my upgrades out and just trying to get a feel for how long I can “risk” running with the factory drag link.

For reference my rig only has 2600 miles on it with full skids and all of the skids are scratched dented and bent. My steering stabilizer is already crunched and my tie rod is boogered up. I think it is still straight but not 100% sure.

Im not an extreme wheeler but my jeep does get used and Im not a huge fan of trail repairs.

Sounds like with a bit of common sense on the trail I can fairly safely upgrade my steering one piece/month at a time saving the DL for last without any major concerns.

I dont plan to test my junk as hard as TF probably does.

Thank you all for the input.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I had one that was heated and bent (on purpose) on a TJ. It was to make more clearance. Even though it had a bend in it, it never bent further. I was only running 33" tires, but it was in no way a street queen.
Sponsored