EV / PHEV JL Wrangler Rubicon will go 0-60 in 6 seconds says Jeep President

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
You have a link to that? I'd like to read some info about the transmission. I can't seem to find any solid source.

I found it. https://www.aisin-aw.co.jp/en/products/drivetrain/lineup/mt.html is this the one you found as well?
In another thread a forum member wrote "The JL manual is an Aisin D478. This may have a special build just for the JL application. One web site I found showed a non-JL Aisin D478 with a torque spec of around 345 ft-lb." I tried to find corroborating data on this, but haven't had any luck yet.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/manual-vs-automatic.2101/#post-29080

Update: Found this searching for Aisin D487 - "The AY-6 is a 6-speed manual transmission manufactured by Aisin. It is designed for longitudinal engine applications and can handle up to 345 ft·lbf (468 N·m) of torque."
Sponsored

Last edited:

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
I've already done 6.5 runs 0-60 going up an incline last year on a 98 degree day. Stock tires and 100lb bumper and 115 lbs wife in the passenger seat of my 2.0 Sport. I'd only care if I could get off-road performance and street cornering performance. With that said I've been eyeing a new little Miata RF as a weekend car

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
I've already done 6.5 runs 0-60 going up an incline last year on a 98 degree day. Stock tires and 100lb bumper and 115 lbs wife in the passenger seat of my 2.0 Sport. I'd only care if I could get off-road performance and street cornering performance. With that said I've been eyeing a new little Miata RF as a weekend car
Do it! Miatas are wonderful little cars and so fun to drive. I had an ND GT and put the Eibach Prokit springs and Legamax Premium exhaust on and they transformed the car. Perfect three-pedal therapy.

070809C7-0108-4F6E-BF5D-603675ADB7AF-X3.jpg

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
In another thread a forum member wrote "The JL manual is an Aisin D478. This may have a special build just for the JL application. One web site I found showed a non-JL Aisin D478 with a torque spec of around 345 ft-lb." I tried to find corroborating data on this, but haven't had any luck yet.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/manual-vs-automatic.2101/#post-29080

Update: Found this searching for Aisin D487 - "The AY-6 is a 6-speed manual transmission manufactured by Aisin. It is designed for longitudinal engine applications and can handle up to 345 ft·lbf (468 N·m) of torque."
Yeah I have seen it called D48 and AL6. Quadratec has it listed as AL6 for their factory replacement clutch parts. It’d be nice to get some solid info lol

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep

AY6 is not AL6

The AY6 was also labeled the RA60 in the 2WD Tacoma. I believe the 2015 V6 Camaro was the last vehicle to use it before Aisin discountinued it.

Lots of complaints, not a popular tranny.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I'd like to see the charging port moved to any area not likely to interfere with a roof rack: many more substantial ones occupying cowl real estate to attach.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
AY6 is not AL6

The AY6 was also labeled the RA60 in the 2WD Tacoma. I believe the 2015 V6 Camaro was the last vehicle to use it before Aisin discountinued it.

Lots of complaints, not a popular tranny.
Thanks for the correction. I found this on Extreme Terrain:

2007-2017 Jeep Wranglers did away with the Aisin transmission and instead were offered with a newly designed by Chrysler NSG370 transmission. This is a 6-speed transmission that also uses a 12-1/2" organic clutch to transfer the power from the engine to the wheels. The new 2018 Wrangler JL switches back to an Aisin built manual transmission - the AL6. Clutch size has been upgraded to an 11-1/8" unit.

That being said the AL6 has 370 Nm (272 ft-lb) of torque, which is barely above the max torque of the V6. I am surprised that they have so little margin.

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Thanks for the correction. I found this on Extreme Terrain:

2007-2017 Jeep Wranglers did away with the Aisin transmission and instead were offered with a newly designed by Chrysler NSG370 transmission. This is a 6-speed transmission that also uses a 12-1/2" organic clutch to transfer the power from the engine to the wheels. The new 2018 Wrangler JL switches back to an Aisin built manual transmission - the AL6. Clutch size has been upgraded to an 11-1/8" unit.

That being said the AL6 has 370 Nm (272 ft-lb) of torque, which is barely above the max torque of the V6. I am surprised that they have so little margin.
That’s not exactly accurate.

Jeep first introduced the NSG370 in the 2005-06 Wrangler. But even before that it was New Venture’s NV3550 in 2000-2004.

You have to go back to 1999 when they used Aisin’s AX-15

Also worth noting that the NSG370 also had a 272 lb-ft max torque input

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
K5 Blazer, Jeep
Anyone else notice the president of the Jeep brand just call the wrangler a "car"? What is happening to the world? :(

Sponsored

scgmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 GMC 2500HD Duramax, 72 Formula 400, Yamaha WR250R, Dozens of Kayaks and Canoes, Future Jeep Wrangler JL Owner
Anyone else notice the president of the Jeep brand just call the wrangler a "car"? What is happening to the world? :(
He must have been talking about the Unlimited. :CWL::CWL:

xjgary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Cherokee XJ
I own a Tesla Model3 AWD...and absolutely love it - smooth and incredibly quick. I also own a Jeep JK that I will soon trade for a JL Recon that has been on order for several months. An electric JL would be incredible though it’s brick like aerodynamics are a huge barrier to being battery only. I’m not sure how the wrangler could have sufficient range unless it towed an extra battery pack. Even my Tesla losses 25% range on the highway driving against a 25mph wind. Can’t really compare a Tesla to a hybrid.
It will have the range of a gasoline engine PLUS 31 miles on electric power.

xjgary

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Cherokee XJ
It will have the range of a gasoline engine PLUS 31 miles on electric power.
The range, with one gallon of fuel left in the tank of current Wranglers is 400 miles for V6 auto/380 miles for V6 manual, and 440 for the2.0L turbo ESS or E-torque. Assuming it uses the 2.0L that would give it 471 miles, a lot more than a Tesla. Originally they said a BEV (full electric) would be out a year later, but we've not heard any noises about that in a long time

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
The PHEV uses the 2.0T engine minus eTorque.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
China is trying to clean up it's enviorment by eliminating internal combustion engines. China wants a huge percentage of cars to be hybrid, PHEV or EV in a few years. They are supposed to have 500,000 public electric charging stations this year. I believe a lot of there busses and commercial vehicles are full electric already.

China makes the most electric cars in the world. The Wrangler 31 mile electric range is the same as other PHEVs sold in China. Here is a link to electric car ranges. I was surprised at how many there are.

https://wattev2buy.com/china-ev-price-list-rank-chinese-electric-cars-by-range-and-price/
Sponsored

Last edited: