Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Via: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/hybrids-lead-jeeps-green-future-first-evs-follow

Christian Meunier, president of the Jeep brand, recently spoke with Autocar regarding the electrification of Jeeps. In the interview he revealed what he expects the Wrangler EV's acceleration figure will be.

"Think about a Wrangler Rubicon, full electric or PHEV," he said. “This is a car that’s going to do 0-60mph in six seconds, potentially, so you’re going to get acceleration you’re never going to get with an engine. You’re going to get the most capable Jeep ever.
That's about a second faster than the 3.6L JL Wrangler's factory quoted 0-60 of 6.9 seconds.

Full Article:

Hybrids lead Jeep's green future, with first EVs to follow

Plug-in hybrids of core 4x4s will be joined by electric models to make Jeep “the world’s most sustainable SUV company”

March 31, 2020

Jeep is fully ready to embrace electrification and wants to become “the greenest, most sustainable SUV company in the world”, its boss has said.

A number of electric Jeeps are potentially on the cards, including an ‘adventure’ model making full use of the benefits of EVs for off-roading: namely instant torque to the individual wheel that needs it, reduced nature-disrupting noise and the ability to provide high-voltage power for camping.

“There are so many things we need to bring together to make Jeep a modern, contemporary brand that will break through and sustain for the next 80 years,” Christian Meunier told Autocar. “That’s a big transition in our world.

“There was a little evolution every year, but there’s a big revolution happening now. To make Jeep the greenest, most sustainable SUV company is a little bit of a challenge, but it’s the most exciting one.”

Meunier added that we’ll soon see a “lot of things we are working on, like BEV”. In Europe, the focus is on three core models: the Renegade, Compass and Wrangler. Jeep showcased plug-in hybrid versions of all three, badged 4xe, at CES in January, and is now subjecting them to cold weather testing in Sweden.

Meunier continued: “PHEV has a very strong role to play for us, we believe, because it gives a lot of advantages: a 50-kilometre [31-mile] range, zero emissions and then removes the [range] anxiety.

“So I think for markets like Europe and China, it’s critical.”

Former Jeep CEO and now Fiat Chrysler Automobiles chief Mike Manley said in 2018 that there would be four EVs in Jeep’s portfolio by 2022. It’s not clear if this plan has been altered or wound back following the substantial executive reshuffling since that statement, but Meunier’s comments suggest launching EVs is still a priority for Jeep.

Meunier was quick to point out that electrification brings just as much in performance as it does ecological credentials.

“Think about a Wrangler Rubicon, full electric or PHEV,” he said. “This is a car that’s going to do 0-60mph in six seconds, potentially, so you’re going to get acceleration you’re never going to get with an engine. You’re going to get the most capable Jeep ever.

“The opportunity is two-fold, with the compliance and the ecology and sustainability, but in my mind, it’s also an opportunity to improve the capabilities of our trucks and SUVs and make it even more exciting off road and on road.”

The high-voltage batteries of EVs would also allow them to serve as external power sources – a trait Jeep reckons will appeal greatly to hardcore off-roaders, adventurers and campers alike. It would enable the car to power a variety of electrical equipment, including compressor kits, welders, lights and camping gear.

Meunier is convinced the US – Jeep’s home market and overwhelmingly its biggest – will move to electrification faster than most people predict, giving his brand the volume necessary for an extensive roll-out of electrified models and variants.

“Either you try to be compliant and do the bare minimum or you embrace it and go full speed on it,” said Meunier. “The latter is the way we should go, because we have the opportunity to make some really, really exciting products, and I think the company is convinced of that. You’ll see a lot of electrified products in the next few years. It’s not about having small cars to offset big cars; every car will have a role to play.”
Sponsored

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
Exciting stuff to be sure!!! We saw some of what can be done with electric motors on each wheel with the Rivian tease. You can power each wheel independently, think about the potential offroad.

-Steven

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Another drive-train for haters to hate. The 2.0T ESS, 2.0T eTorque, and 3.6 eTorque and Diesel will get some breathing room now there is a new whipping boy to hate. Lol.

A lot of people will refuse to embrace a EV Wrangler but I am excited to see it as a option. Looking forward to this.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I was deciding between a Tesla Model 3 and an unlimited Rubicon. I know this is a bizarre duo to be comparing. My reasoning was that with the Wrangler being arguably the most modified vehicle in the world, I figured there would be an aftermarket solution by 2022 or 2023 to convert Wranglers to a Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV). The Jeep better fit my families outdoor lifestyle and weather in Southern Arizona with the ability to remove the top and doors. The Jeep can also explore areas that would destroy the Model 3.

I personally see no point in the hybrid solution as it is just a transition and are the worst of both worlds (underpowered gasoline/Diesel engine and underpowered electric motor combined with a very limited range battery). I would welcome a BEV Wrangler and it will be interesting to see what they do, since they won't need axles if they have four motors.

Sponsored

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Another drive-train for haters to hate. The 2.0T ESS, 2.0T eTorque, and 3.6 eTorque and Diesel will get some breathing room now there is a new whipping boy to hate. Lol.

A lot of people will refuse to embrace a EV Wrangler but I am excited to see it as a option. Looking forward to this.
I was deciding between a Tesla Model 3 and an unlimited Rubicon. I know this is a bizarre duo to be comparing. My reasoning was that with the Wrangler being arguably the most modified vehicle in the world, I figured there would be an aftermarket solution by 2022 or 2023 to convert Wranglers to a Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV). The Jeep better fit my families outdoor lifestyle and weather in Southern Arizona with the ability to remove the top and doors. The Jeep can also explore areas that would destroy the Model 3.

I personally see no point in the hybrid solution as it is just a transition and are the worst of both worlds (underpowered gasoline/Diesel engine and underpowered electric motor combined with a very limited range battery). I would welcome a BEV Wrangler and it will be interesting to see what they do, since they won't need axles if they have four motors.

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Good point, and agree about the niche that the Wrangler currently owns.

I think the new Bronco and to a certain extent, Rivian is taking a few pages out the Wranglers play book, things like offroadability, wash out interior etc.. But alas, competition makes the breed better!

Lastly, maybe we do need solid axles, just with a DC motor at each end:like: Keep that JK(U) articulation!

-Steven

islandjeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'85 Cherokee, '91 Jeep YJ
Vehicle Showcase

With you 100%. I would love to see a third party BEV conversion kit. I was also deciding between a manual transmission and the automatic and besides a whole bunch of other issues, I was trying to understand if there's any difference in ease of doing an after market conversion to BEV with the automatic.

Sponsored

scgmc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 GMC 2500HD Duramax, 72 Formula 400, Yamaha WR250R, Dozens of Kayaks and Canoes, Future Jeep Wrangler JL Owner
"...This is a car that’s going to do 0-60mph in six seconds,..."

In what direction though, is anybody's guess...
:CWL: Hilarious!!!

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
With you 100%. I would love to see a third party BEV conversion kit. I was also deciding between a manual transmission and the automatic and besides a whole bunch of other issues, I was trying to understand if there's any difference in ease of doing an after market conversion to BEV with the automatic.
I wanted a manual and that would be awesome to use with an electric conversion, but I don't know the torque limits of the transmission. The conversion may involve modified axles that include a motor on each. In that case the engine and transmission would become unneeded. The engine compartment could be split for dual purposes, with a battery down low and storage up high.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)

i think the hybrid is mostly to penetrate the Chinese market. I thought I read a large percentage of cars in China have to be hybrid or EV by a certain year? China has a minium hybrid electric range of 29 miles or something? The JL PHEV has a 31 mile range.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order

I own a Tesla Model3 AWD...and absolutely love it - smooth and incredibly quick. I also own a Jeep JK that I will soon trade for a JL Recon that has been on order for several months. An electric JL would be incredible though it’s brick like aerodynamics are a huge barrier to being battery only. I’m not sure how the wrangler could have sufficient range unless it towed an extra battery pack. Even my Tesla losses 25% range on the highway driving against a 25mph wind. Can’t really compare a Tesla to a hybrid.
Sponsored