Sponsored

EV Noises - Power Steering Pump? Help please...

greensprit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, 4xe on order
I'm trying to diagnose whether the noises from my 4xe are "normal". My other EV and PHEV are absolutely silent when parked in EV mode when the HVAC is off; but my 4xe makes this consistent whine. I think it's the power steering pump. Curious if this is normal or something I need to take in to get looked at (dealer is not close, so don't want to take it in if I don't need to).

Can someone else try the following:
1) Ensure jeep has been sitting at normal temp (between 65-75 degrees) to ensure battery heater/cooler isn't activated.
2) Turn on jeep, put it in EV mode, then turn HVAC off, lights off, radio off, roll down windows.
3) Put jeep into reverse and then forward, confirm the pedestrian alert system activates. Then back into park.
4) Do you hear anything whining? Try turning the wheel, you'll hear the power steering pump spin up, and then after releasing the wheel, you should hear the power steering pump spin down - does it go all the way off or do you still hear it running? Mine still makes a whining noise, not sure why. On my hybrid power meeting on the uconnect it also shows a battery drain of 1KW. Where is that power going?
5) Turn vehicle off, sound will disappear and then you'll hear a few clicks.

Video enclosed. Is this "normal" for the 4xe - i'd say it's NOT normal for EVs in general.
Sponsored

Attachments

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Unfortunately the video will not play. However, yes, it is more than likely the power steering pump is the culprit as my new 2021 JLUR makes the same whine, especially when turning the wheel, and I’ve also heard it from many many other JL wranglers, but not all of them curiously. There are posts of people visiting dealerships and hearing the pump sound on brand new Wranglers (mine made the noice from day one as well) and being told by the dealerships that all of them make the whine and that it is “normal.”

Once you stop turning the steering wheel, the pump will spin down but will not deactivate for another few seconds. If you completely let go of the steering wheel and there is no force on the wheel at all, the pump should turn off in a few seconds. That is unless they changed something for the 4xe.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Here’s how my pump sounds before it shuts off:

Hopefully the video plays

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
There is a video review thread and the video specifically mentions the sounds I think your talking about.
Sponsored