Sponsored

European JK Diesel

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
I am in Germany and most automobiles are diesels. The family we are seeing has a 2017 or 2018 JKUR in Diesel. Remind me, what is the issue with us having the diesel in the US? I thought European emissions were more strict than the US.
Sponsored

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
Back in the late 70s and early 80s, Cadillac offered a diesel engine in some of their premium sedans. It was basically a gasoline engine reworked to run on diesel - but not reworked enough. It was terribly unreliable. This extremely known reliability problem is often blamed as to one reason why the US market never really welcomed diesel engines for mainstream automobiles. VWs and Mercedes back in that time were well known to be gutless and the badly smoked. Sure they may have had great fuel economy. Yes, there have been some success in more recent years with Mercedes and VW, as well as a few other brands, but as you've noticed in recent news, even they've struggled - particularly VW - meeting emissions requirements legitimately.

OP
OP
Geos7812

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
So do you really think it is just a market thing? I walked miles around Munich and Salzburg and heard thousands of different diesels. I never saw smoke nor even smelled Diesel. All of these can’t be in the shop over and over and having huge reliability issues, can they?

Stampede.Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
beat up old VW Passat
...I thought European emissions were more strict than the US.
US vs EU focus on different emissions. A vehicle that passes one set of tests might fail the other one miserably regardless of where it came from. It would require more R&D to develop either a version that passes both, or a second version to pass the other set of tests.

OP
OP
Geos7812

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
US vs EU focus on different emissions. A vehicle that passes one set of tests might fail the other one miserably regardless of where it came from. It would require more R&D to develop either a version that passes both, or a second version to pass the other set of tests.
Got it. I had no idea. Thanks for the clarification.

bruno747

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Rubicon Recon 2dr 6spd
This is EXACTLY why we need a global standard. But it needs to be reasonable. This way manufactures can certify the car in each country but as long as it was designed properly they shouldn't have to single out the US anymore. I'd love to have a genuine diesel manual Hilux. Of course the EPA can't have that.
Sponsored