pantheman75

pantheman75

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Cherokee Limited, 2023 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
In a statement, FCA spokesman Eric Mayne said that the new Jeep Wrangler "meets or exceeds federal safety requirements in every market in which it is sold. Further, the Jeep Wrangler is engineered to deliver superior performance and unique driving experiences under the most demanding conditions. Testing protocols that apply exclusively to urban scenarios may not align with such a vehicle."

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Its the lack of an automatic braking system that really hurt the score. The 2019's score should be better with the inclusion of that in the advanced safety package.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
Wow, good thing they are not testing drivers!

Can't wait til folks get all that "safety" stuff and vehicles that drive themselves!!!

Go Jeep!!!

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
I believe it scored 3 stars on actual impact testing. The 1 star is because it lacks active safety features like auto braking and lane keep assist.

It's fine. Europeans are just delicate flowers that don't know how to stop cars or stay in their lanes without computers telling them to.

Sponsored

Rubi-Zero

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon , Audi S5
Vehicle Showcase
I believe it scored 3 stars on actual impact testing. The 1 star is because it lacks active safety features like auto braking and lane keep assist.

It's fine. Europeans are just delicate flowers that don't know how to stop cars or stay in their lanes without computers telling them to.
Well I think actually our freeway system is one of the more dangerous ones. From my experience, while I was in Germany and Austria, it felt very safe to drive, even on stretches of the Autobahn where I was driving 160mph for miles at a time. You wouldn’t have some idiot pull out in front of you going 50mph because he felt like it. Everyone knows to pass on the left side. If you approach someone in the far left lane because you are moving faster then they are, they get over so you can pass. I wish our interstates were more like theirs, or really, I just wish people would use more common sense and highway courtesy.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation

Kent5

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 TJ Sport
Occupation
Tech
For a 1-star result, the driver/passenger space looks to be pretty intact, and with (apparently) little intrusion.

However, *if* Jeep is being dinged for lack of safety options, I say 'bravo' -- bash away. I hate it when manufacturers pat themselves on the back for offering "safety" equipment, but ONLY on their most-expensive trim packages of a model. If the online configurator and available option worksheets are accurate, Automatic Braking and ACC are NOT even available as options on the 2019 Sport/Sport S.

Thanks, Jeep! :mad: I guess only those who buy the most expensive trim levels are worthy of safety options in your eyes.

Last edited:

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Well I think actually our freeway system is one of the more dangerous ones. From my experience, while I was in Germany and Austria, it felt very safe to drive, even on stretches of the Autobahn where I was driving 160mph for miles at a time. You wouldn’t have some idiot pull out in front of you going 50mph because he felt like it. Everyone knows to pass on the left side. If you approach someone in the far left lane because you are moving faster then they are, they get over so you can pass. I wish our interstates were more like theirs, or really, I just wish people would use more common sense and highway courtesy.
I agree. Driving in Germany the drivers are much more attentive and take driving seriously. The traffic rules and signage alone are about twice as complex as in the US.

Sponsored

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
I call shenanigans on all this. The Jeep Wrangler is a safer choice BECAUSE it doesn't have as many bells, whistles, and nannies.
I have to agree. My 14 Accord had collision warning, lane departure warning, and the automatic camera on the right mirror (came on when turning on the signal or pushing a button at any time just to see what's coming up on ramps and the such. I learned that I didn't have to pay as close attention to going forward because the car would tell me something was slowing in front of me, I often found myself looking at scenery out the side windows because the lane departure would tell me I was drifting, I never looked over my right shoulder to merge right because the camera would show me what was on the side of me and back there in that lane.

I relearned how to drive properly promptly in my Jeep. And you know what? I'm driving 100% better/safer now. Good riddance.

For those that would say it's because I was lazy - get those features and you'll begin to rely on them unconsciously. You'll know this the first time you borrow/rent a car without those features. It will feel OLD/strange. Sure - there are some that don't rely or even look at the backup camera. Good for them. I find myself only using it to ensure I'm not about to back over a small child or dog or hit something low like a pole when backing now. But I do now look back, left and right more than I ever did in that Honda.
Sponsored