IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’m sorry, but if it is an “option” it shouldn’t be rated in crash testing. Plenty of people opt to save $$ by not adding on active safety features. So even if a fully loaded model had every active safety measure available installed, but it added thousands to the sticker, and it got a high rating, it is not worth the paper it is written on. IMPO, only standard features should be judged for ratings. If you have to pay extra to get others, they don’t count
Sponsored

eugene

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Where is the pdf?
ere

phcn

First Name
Philippe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2002 KJ liberty/cherokee 2.5 crd sport+ (sold) - Jeep 2015 BU Renegade 1.4 multiair2 longitude - Jeep 2018 BU Renegade 1.6 Etorque South Beach
I have to agree. My 14 Accord had collision warning, lane departure warning, and the automatic camera on the right mirror (came on when turning on the signal or pushing a button at any time just to see what's coming up on ramps and the such. I learned that I didn't have to pay as close attention to going forward because the car would tell me something was slowing in front of me, I often found myself looking at scenery out the side windows because the lane departure would tell me I was drifting, I never looked over my right shoulder to merge right because the camera would show me what was on the side of me and back there in that lane.

I relearned how to drive properly promptly in my Jeep. And you know what? I'm driving 100% better/safer now. Good riddance.

For those that would say it's because I was lazy - get those features and you'll begin to rely on them unconsciously. You'll know this the first time you borrow/rent a car without those features. It will feel OLD/strange. Sure - there are some that don't rely or even look at the backup camera. Good for them. I find myself only using it to ensure I'm not about to back over a small child or dog or hit something low like a pole when backing now. But I do now look back, left and right more than I ever did in that Honda.
This is the same here in Europe (Belgium), drivers are to confident in there electronic safety systems to drive correctly. They drive to fast, don't look to other users (pedestrians, cyclists,...) "No problems, my car will stop for me" they think...

Sponsored

TXJeepScientist

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 Nissan Pathfinder, 08 Honda Civic, 07 Toyota Avalon, 94 Jeep Cherokee, 10 Saab 9.3T
Thank God for all the "Active" Safety Systems, because they buy me more time to text behind the wheel!

Badweissenbier

First Name
Bad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR
"Similarly, deformation of the footwell showed that the structure had reached the limit of its integrity.

Although dummy readings indicated good protection of the knees and femurs of the driver and passenger dummy, structures in the dashboard were thought to present a risk to occupants of different sizes and to those sitting in different positions, and protection of this body area was rated as marginal."

So much for scientific results- Facts not thoughts!

As for star removal do to a lack of assists, that is crap. If you want to add in extra stars when new safety features arrive that would be fine but I look at the 5 star system as impact survival not impact avoidance. Besides they only rate impact not coulda shoulda woulda.
They mislead and detract from what could be a very safe ride in the impact performance area vs other cars(with avoidance features) that perform worse in impact testing.

If one goes only by star ratings they are hoodwinked by this. ie Looking at side impact and the wrangler smoked it.

I call BS on their rating system

Rhinozeroone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0
I find it interesting that the windshield did not break on impact. Airbags are known to blow out the windshield and as close at the windshield is to the airbags, this is amazing.

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ
I find it interesting that the windshield did not break on impact. Airbags are known to blow out the windshield and as close at the windshield is to the airbags, this is amazing.
LOL - that's the first thing I noticed! So a crash like those and the windshield is fine. Some Camry in front of me kicks up a tiny pebble and smacks my windshield on the freeway and crack - time to replace the windshield.

Ruby Jack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
In a statement, FCA spokesman Eric Mayne said that the new Jeep Wrangler "meets or exceeds federal safety requirements in every market in which it is sold. Further, the Jeep Wrangler is engineered to deliver superior performance and unique driving experiences under the most demanding conditions. Testing protocols that apply exclusively to urban scenarios may not align with such a vehicle."
Also, those tests involve hitting steel barriers. Let's be real, which vehicle would you rather be in during a head on collision, a 5k lb, body on frame with steel bumpers or a 3k lb aluminum unibody marshmallow that got a 5 star rating? Don't know about you, but I'd rather be in the former.
Sponsored