Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Hi,

There's me riding around in my awesome JLUR for the past 2 months thinking everyone is marveling at the LED halo daytime running lights when I catch sight of the front of the Jeep in a window's reflection this morning and they're not there! :surprised:A quick search on the forum and sure enough it seems it's a European specification.

Anyone know why only the US gets the halo lights around the OEM LED headlights? Is it a Euro legal/safety thing? I have factory LED's and the only DRL's are in the front fenders :(. Jeep are very careful not to show them on their UK website so I guess it's intentional.

I was already cut up about not getting 285/70 tires and high clearance fenders (I got 255/75 and standard fenders as factory fit on the Rubi for some reason), but now I'm really feeling short-changed. I think I should get some extra feature as compensation - other than a steering wheel on the right that is ;)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jlmoe

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JL Rubicon
Hi,

There's me riding around in my awesome JLUR for the past 2 months thinking everyone is marveling at the LED halo daytime running lights when I catch sight of the front of the Jeep in a window's reflection this morning and they're not there! :surprised:A quick search on the forum and sure enough it seems it's a European specification.

Anyone know why only the US gets the halo lights around the OEM LED headlights? Is it a Euro legal safety/thing? I have factory LED's and the only DRL's are in the front fenders :(. Jeep are very careful not to show them on their UK website so I guess it's intentional.

I was already cut up about not getting 285/70 tires and high clearance fenders (I got 255/75 and standard fenders as factory fit on the Rubi for some reason), but now I'm really feeling short-changed. I feel I should get some extra feature as compensation - other than a steering wheel on the right that is ;)
Rubicon has an extra feature

4WD Auto

Which I never use lol

garkoi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL Unlimited
Hi,

Anyone know why only the US gets the halo lights around the OEM LED headlights? Is it a Euro legal/safety thing? I have factory LED's and the only DRL's are in the front fenders :(. Jeep are very careful not to show them on their UK website so I guess it's intentional.

I was already cut up about not getting 285/70 tires and high clearance fenders (I got 255/75 and standard fenders as factory fit on the Rubi for some reason), but now I'm really feeling short-changed. I think I should get some extra feature as compensation - other than a steering wheel on the right that is ;)
middle east spec is the same, we also get the standard axles instead of the wide axles, ugly rear bumper (departure angle), cv joints not u joints and different rear tail lights but we have 4wd auto, which everyone in the US buys the sahara for instead of a rubicon so it evens out.

garkoi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon has an extra feature

4WD Auto

Which I never use lol
why not ? i kept in in 4wd auto ever since i got it never really used 2hi except on my trip to oman to see if it effects how much gas im using.

OP
OP
GeeBee

GeeBee

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager
we also get the standard axles instead of the wide axles
UK spec is Dana M186/M200 for Sahara/Overland or Dana M210/M220 for Rubicon which is same as US?

Sponsored

Jlmoe

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JL Rubicon
why not ? i kept in in 4wd auto ever since i got it never really used 2hi except on my trip to oman to see if it effects how much gas im using.
Since its not full time and also clutch operated I've never seen it necessary on dry pavement

May add extra wear and tear somewhere..

When it rains, will definitely have it in use

Jlmoe

First Name
Moe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' JL Rubicon
UK spec is Dana M186/M200 for Sahara/Overland or Dana M210/M220 for Rubicon which is same as US?
Yeah have that on my build sheet

Definitely same axles M210/M220

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Since its not full time and also clutch operated I've never seen it necessary on dry pavement

May add extra wear and tear somewhere..

When it rains, will definitely have it in use
If I had 4WD Auto I would do the same thing. Wet conditions only. I don’t really care if it’s supposed to be useable on dry pavement, 24/7, 365.

garkoi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yes, but i have been told the US M210/M220 is slightly wider. do you have the red tow hooks on your front bumper ?

Sponsored

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
yes, but i have been told the US M210/M220 is slightly wider. do you have the red tow hooks on your front bumper ?
That’s right the Euro axles are narrower, one of the many reasons I decided not to add bigger tyres until I’m convinced I actually need them.

No we don’t get the red tow hooks with the massive plastic bumper!

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
I like mine very much, I don’t fret about what we don’t get compared to the O.E. US Rubicon, it’s just different. It’s proved, so far, in stock form to be capable of anything I’ve asked of it.

I have a winch ready to go on, just to give me a bit more confidence in the wilds. I’ve also, after a long wait, got a Smittybilt (quiet at the back!) steel front bumper. This and the matching rear bumper (not yet delivered) I’m hoping will go on in the next few weeks.

I have an ARB dual compressor to install, although we haven’t quite figured out where yet.

That’s about it for now.

Whilst the steel bumpers aren’t illegal in the UK and my insurers are quite happy to cover me, including extra personal liability/injury cover, they don’t have a European kite mark, I’m prepared to wing this.

I’m aware of one UK JLUR with 35” tyres fitted. He’s had to add spacers, something I’m not prepared to do, he’s still got rubbing problems and the tyres stick out wider than the fender flares...this is definitely illegal in the UK.

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

I’m aware of one UK JLUR with 35” tyres fitted. He’s had to add spacers, something I’m not prepared to do, he’s still got rubbing problems and the tyres stick out wider than the fender flares...this is definitely illegal in the UK.
is he running stock wheels on the 35s? if he runs aftermarket wheels with the proper offset he wont have to. im pretty sure its a ticketable offense here in the states (many at least) to have uncovered tires sticking out past the fenders but the odds of actually getting a ticket for it are pretty much nil. i saw a NO fendered JK on the freeway yesterday lol

and it sucks you guys pay so much more for a wrangler and get short changed on options.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
is he running stock wheels on the 35s? if he runs aftermarket wheels with the proper offset he wont have to. im pretty sure its a ticketable offense here in the states (many at least) to have uncovered tires sticking out past the fenders but the odds of actually getting a ticket for it are pretty much nil. i saw a NO fendered JK on the freeway yesterday lol

and it sucks you guys pay so much more for a wrangler and get short changed on options.
Yes he has the stock wheels.

You’re right about the prices, I paid the equivalent of around $63k for mine (JLUR). That was for a dealer demonstrator with 600 miles on the clock, so I’m it’s second registered owner already! I do plan on keeping it a long time though so that doesn’t really matter so much.

I bought it unseen on the phone, never travelled to the dealers, they delivered it to me. It’s the colour I’d settled on and WANTED (Mojito!), I didn’t have the patience to wait 6/9 months for a factory order.

It has some niggly faults to sort out, but I expected that and it does have a five year warranty.

I’ve had it 4 months/3k miles and overall I’m very happy with it.
Sponsored