SnoWhite

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Did you have any issue with TÜV?
Well, me personally, I did not, but I know that this can be an issue.

I had new wheels and tires (and a 2,5" lift) fitted at the "Allrad Pauli" garage in Oy-Mittelberg and they also took care of the TÜV-examination - without any troubles. The wheels and tires are in my papers now and totally street legal. The guy from Allrad Pauli explained to me that it is sufficient that the tire tread is covered, not the flank (which is indeed sticking out passed my fenders a little). He is a real expert and I believe that he knows what he is doing.

I know, however, that other Jeep garages (and perhaps other TÜV-experts, too, for that matter) are of the opinion that the whole tire (including the tire flank and not just the tread) needs to be covered.

However, I know that with my setup (BFG KO2, Bawarrion wheels with +18mm offset and no spacers), I am very much at the limit. If I was going to mount spacers (which I do not need because of the lift), wheels with less offset or perhaps even different tires, I would certainly need flare extensions.

I hope that helps!
Sponsored

Aage

First Name
Aki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2020, 2.2L diesel
Did you have any issue with TÜV?
No problem with the TUV. The only thing I have to do to be legal is . Total lift no more then 10% of the standard height ( body lift plus tire difference ) . Standard tires 32.6 inch *1.1 = 35,86 inch ( would be the biggest tires I could have without thinking about TUV. I´m within limits.

SnoWhite

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Thanks a lot :).
Have you been successful? I just saw that another German manufacturer (ASP Eberle) came up with some flare extensions, too:

Personnally, I like the ORZ one better, though (at least jugging from the pictures). It seems to integrate more natural and does not stick out so much...

OP
OP
taram

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2020 2.2 Diesel Punk'n RHD
I really like the idea, but 500-700 eur just for 4 pieces of plastic... :movember:
P.S. An ORZ website says their fender flares are not suitable for US rubicon, so it’s not an option for those who have installed US high line fenders like me?

Giersz

First Name
Wojciech
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep WJ 1999 4.7 V8
315/70r17 tires are a very popular setup on Jeep JL. Together with aftermarket rims ET10 or ET18 or 30-35mm wheel spacers those wheels will stick out about 30-40 mm out of fenders.

Has anyone ever faced a real problem having such wheels travelling around Europe?
Any problem while traveling on a ferry?

I know that you can use fender extensionsbut they are too short (22mm) or ugly😋

Sponsored

SnoWhite

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I really like the idea, but 500-700 eur just for 4 pieces of plastic... :movember:
P.S. An ORZ website says their fender flares are not suitable for US rubicon, so it’s not an option for those who have installed US high line fenders like me?
Marat,

It is my understanding that the Rubicon high fender flares are already covering more of the tire tread than the standard fender flares, so the extensions would not be needed. I think that the Rubicon fender flares are not really wider, but as they are mounted further up where the front-/side-part of the JL goes outwards, they cover more than the standard flares.

That said, I do think that you are right and the extensions offered by ORZ only fit the standard flares. For the Rubicon flares, they would have to have a different shape around the indicator light in front and towards the rear bumper in the back. There would have to be a second, Rubicon specific model (which I am pretty sure there is not...).

OP
OP
taram

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Marat,

It is my understanding that the Rubicon high fender flares are already covering more of the tire tread than the standard fender flares, so the extensions would not be needed. I think that the Rubicon fender flares are not really wider, but as they are mounted further up where the front-/side-part of the JL goes outwards, they cover more than the standard flares.

That said, I do think that you are right and the extensions offered by ORZ only fit the standard flares. For the Rubicon flares, they would have to have a different shape around the indicator light in front and towards the rear bumper in the back. There would have to be a second, Rubicon specific model (which I am pretty sure there is not...).
Hey Michael,

Yes, they definitely should be different for US high fender flares, but I'd say that it makes no sense installing them except for TUV/MOT homologation. I will explain myself - the lower/side parts of the fenders are much narrower than the top, so even if the upper part covers the tire - the dirt/water still will be thrown on the side of the vehicle from the dirty road by tire perfectly. I'd consider removing wheel spacers to pass the MOT inspection in my case - they are 38 mm, and the tire sticks out from the upper (widest part) of the fenders around 20 mm.

SnoWhite

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Hey Michael,

Yes, they definitely should be different for US high fender flares, but I'd say that it makes no sense installing them except for TUV/MOT homologation. I will explain myself - the lower/side parts of the fenders are much narrower than the top, so even if the upper part covers the tire - the dirt/water still will be thrown on the side of the vehicle from the dirty road by tire perfectly. I'd consider removing wheel spacers to pass the MOT inspection in my case - they are 38 mm, and the tire sticks out from the upper (widest part) of the fenders around 20 mm.
I agree on all points. Luckily, I don't need to perform any tricks regarding TÜV as my setting has been accepted as it is... ;)

Regarding the dirt/water part, I am actually thinking about giving the "Rokblokz"-mud flaps a go (just for the front wheels). I am not sure yet if I like the looks, but I am also kind of sick to always grab a wet and dirty door handle in winter, especially when I am dressed up for work (the JLU is my daily driver and I usually wear a business suit...).

I ordered the regular size Rokblokz. They have arrived pretty fast (within one week from ordering), but I have not had the time to install them yet. If I do not like the looks, I might only put them on in winter.

Might also be something for you, @Aage - they also have a XL-version.

OP
OP
taram

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree on all points. Luckily, I don't need to perform any tricks regarding TÜV as my setting has been accepted as it is... ;)

Regarding the dirt/water part, I am actually thinking about giving the "Rokblokz"-mud flaps a go (just for the front wheels). I am not sure yet if I like the looks, but I am also kind of sick to always grab a wet and dirty door handle in winter, especially when I am dressed up for work (the JLU is my daily driver and I usually wear a business suit...).

I ordered the regular size Rokblokz. They have arrived pretty fast (within one week from ordering), but I have not had the time to install them yet. If I do not like the looks, I might only put them on in winter.

Might also be something for you, @Aage - they also have a XL-version.
Please do share the photos of the mud flaps once you've installed them - my opinion it's the most practical solution, but for the look I'm not sure as well )

Sponsored

Dinks66

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
offshore oil worker
For anyone looking to go completely stock (no US fenders, no lift, stock wheels) with with true 35s on their Rubicons you need to know its possible but see a few remarks below.

A lot of people think they actually need a lift for bigger tires which is not the case. A friend of mine went with no lift and US fenders + bump stops with 38.5 inch tires - he's doing a lot of difficult off-road like recoveries etc.

Remarks:
- you will need wheel spacers with stock wheels, otherwise you will rub on lower control arms - alternative is to use a aftermarket wheel with around 14 - 24 offset
- after a few tries, 50mm spacers are very nice looking but not practical
- ideally it should be 30mm spacers (but you will have to grind the wheel studs) so I will change my 50mm with 35mm, which fit without any issue (only on the stock wheel !!! may not fit with other wheels)
- will need bump stops - there is an easy hack without throwing money - 2 hockey pucks for each front and for the rear you can use 50mm rectangular pipes from your DYI shop.
- luckily the JL has already holes where the front and rear bump stops are to be added, so no drilling is required.

Will post a review soon with this setup at work, on some trails.

Finally got my new wheels fitted. They do stick out a bit (0 offset) but look pretty good I think. The main problem was getting the wheel balance weights to stick on. They are almost like a teflon finish and the sticky backing on the balance weights just won’t hold the weights in place??? After finding half the weights on my drive I have switched to balance beads inside the tyres which I must admit makes them look much neater. The third photo is of my Eibach 20mm hubcentric spacers which allowed me to fit the 315 tyres on the stock rims without any rubbing. These spacers are currently for sale if anyone is interested
Jeep Wrangler JL EURO-spec Rubicons owners - share your wheels/tires mods please 6463352E-D0BC-485C-AF1C-C915D4FB5DD2
Jeep Wrangler JL EURO-spec Rubicons owners - share your wheels/tires mods please 6463352E-D0BC-485C-AF1C-C915D4FB5DD2
Jeep Wrangler JL EURO-spec Rubicons owners - share your wheels/tires mods please 132A6351-4BEB-4245-8635-8263DD45B56F

Dinks66

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Occupation
offshore oil worker
Finally got my new wheels fitted. They do stick out a bit (0 offset) but look pretty good I think. The main problem was getting the wheel balance weights to stick on. They are almost like a teflon finish and the sticky backing on the balance weights just won’t hold the weights in place??? After finding half the weights on my drive I have switched to balance beads inside the tyres which I must admit makes them look much neater. The third photo is of my Eibach 20mm hubcentric spacers which allowed me to fit the 315 tyres on the stock rims without any rubbing. These spacers are currently for sale if anyone is interested
Jeep Wrangler JL EURO-spec Rubicons owners - share your wheels/tires mods please 132A6351-4BEB-4245-8635-8263DD45B56F
Jeep Wrangler JL EURO-spec Rubicons owners - share your wheels/tires mods please 46E3B89E-107C-4656-8447-CC69EFC796CA

EU_Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY20 JLUR 2.2 EcoDiesel
Jeep Wrangler JL EURO-spec Rubicons owners - share your wheels/tires mods please 46E3B89E-107C-4656-8447-CC69EFC796CA

US Rubicon wheel arches, 35/1250R 17. AEV Pintler wheels, sumo spring bumpstops from my JK front and rear plus 30 mm block on the rear as much to protect the longer rear shocks as anything. No rubbing.
Hey!
May I ask what winch plate did you use to mount that warn with the stock plastic bumper? Was is too difficult to install / cut the original bumper?

Faresalsal

First Name
Fares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL / 2012 Mustang Boss302 / 1998 Cherokee Sport
Perhaps someone has mor info on axles differences.
I was looking to replace my diff cover with light aluminium aFe Powrer diff cover.
https://www.quadratec.com/p/afe-power/afe-pro-fr-diff-cover-dana-m2-19-jeep-wrangler-jl

Raised a question to Quadratec and they responded that it will not fit my axles - i suppose the only difference is axles in EU version. Puzzled.
The Difference between the axle from US-Spec to EU-Spec According to Build sheets from Mopar:

US-Spec:
Rear M220-Wide
Front M210-Wide

EU-Spec:
Rear M220
Front M210

The Transfer Case is also different, ((maybe the driveshafts are also different -not sure-))

Also, i have tried to install the RCV Axles but turned out that they are about an inch longer (US-Spec) and will not work on EU-Spec Rubicons
RCV Axles have released an "International Rubicon" Set.. but i have not tried them, and i dont plan to until someone else tries them in my area.

Elementad

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Bumping this thread to see if any new additions.

considering changing my Rubicon wheels but don’t want to lift at this stage.

Considering alloys with an offset which provides a slightly wider stance(fitted with my standard 32” M/T
OR
Fitting 33” tyres.

Anyone tried different wheels with same tyres but with wider stance (without spacers)?
Same articulation archived or less because of fender edges?

also looking at Fuel or Method wheels. The weight of them does put me off though as the rubicon alloys appear to be very light weight in comparison.

Interested in all options.
Thanks
Sponsored