First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
I'll change those out, have them painted or wrapped, whatever, but I'm for sure not going to drive around long like this :puke:
Sponsored

OP
OP
taram

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2020 2.2 Diesel Punk'n RHD
I'll change those out, have them painted or wrapped, whatever, but I'm for sure not going to drive around long like this :puke:
Please let me know when you will manage to do it. It was one of my most wanted changes, as many people complained on the “mustard/ketchup” look when red dash panel comes with yellow or orange body... but after I faced a lot of different other challenges the dash color has lost its importance :LOL: but probably your experience could encourage me in some time:giggle:

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
i'll keep you posted :)

chkoh

First Name
Chin Hao
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I was so happy to finally found this! For those RHD JL that wants to add on the auxiliary switches, here you go!

Check out this installation video! Its split into 2 parts but very detailed explanation and showcase of installation!

Part 1:
Part 2:

Hope this helps!

Elementad

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Just reading this thread with interest. OP, you’ve done a great job. Very inspiring.

I’m in UK and close to pushing button on joining the JL Rubicon club. The standard UK bumper is a disgrace and will be the first thing I want to change.
Jeep, Mopar, other independent brands SURELY must read these boards and I cannot believe you can’t yet buy a stock looking steel bumper with parking sensor holes without risking buying the Chinese eBay version (which may well be fine but I prefer dealing with companies or workshops closer to home who I can pick up the phone to if any problems).

I hope someone is developing one.
Did the thread dedicated to UK bumper get started?
Sorry to hijack the thread.

Sponsored

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Just reading this thread with interest. OP, you’ve done a great job. Very inspiring.

I’m in UK and close to pushing button on joining the JL Rubicon club. The standard UK bumper is a disgrace and will be the first thing I want to change.
Jeep, Mopar, other independent brands SURELY must read these boards and I cannot believe you can’t yet buy a stock looking steel bumper with parking sensor holes without risking buying the Chinese eBay version (which may well be fine but I prefer dealing with companies or workshops closer to home who I can pick up the phone to if any problems).

I hope someone is developing one.
Did the thread dedicated to UK bumper get started?
Sorry to hijack the thread.
Hi A, we had a discussion about bumpers here...

https://www.jlwrangler forums.com/forum/threads/steel-bumpers-are-they-legal-in-the-uk-europe.25746/

I started it originally to discuss the legalities of.the aftermarket/steel bumpers here in the U.K.

I ended up buying Smittybilt bumpers, front and back, from Jeepey. At first glance the prices are steep but by the time you get into paying the shipping and VAT there’s not that much difference. Like you I also wanted to be able to pick up the phone if I encountered any problems...as it happens. there weren’t.

Jeep Wrangler JL Euro JLUR 2020 Punk'n - Vehicle / Build journal DA0D29A8-41D1-4C22-AA0C-F468D42BFE9A
Jeep Wrangler JL Euro JLUR 2020 Punk'n - Vehicle / Build journal 46CDB8A7-7002-41C8-9D74-C4A81A0BB7AE

Elementad

First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Hi A, we had a discussion about bumpers here...

https://www.jlwrangler forums.com/forum/threads/steel-bumpers-are-they-legal-in-the-uk-europe.25746/

I started it originally to discuss the legalities of.the aftermarket/steel bumpers here in the U.K.

I ended up buying Smittybilt bumpers, front and back, from Jeepey. At first glance the prices are steep but by the time you get into paying the shipping and VAT there’s not that much difference. Like you I also wanted to be able to pick up the phone if I encountered any problems...as it happens. there weren’t.

Jeep Wrangler JL Euro JLUR 2020 Punk'n - Vehicle / Build journal 46CDB8A7-7002-41C8-9D74-C4A81A0BB7AE
Looks good! Thanks

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
Please let me know when you will manage to do it. It was one of my most wanted changes, as many people complained on the “mustard/ketchup” look when red dash panel comes with yellow or orange body... but after I faced a lot of different other challenges the dash color has lost its importance :LOL: but probably your experience could encourage me in some time:giggle:
Done ;)

I'm not going in to details, as there are quite some instructive video's to find on YouTube showing how to disassemble everything. The one thing I'd not do, is remove or disconnect the multimedia screen, as imo an unnecessary step. The panels themselves are the easiest to remove, the top part of the dash which goes over the full width of the interior the hardest to remove. I removed the passenger grab handle to get easier access to the little cover under the passenger side panel. Disassemble everything without damaging any of the clips would be a small wonder. Took me about a 2hrs, but took my time to do it slow and carefully.

I like the grey MUCH more than the red - which imo does not combine at all with orange -, the one thing though is depending on the angle you look at the panels, and the exterior light, the grey turns out a bit greenish.

Should you go for it, and have questions, then shoot ;)

Oh yeah, the spare carrier - I'm waiting on a tire on backorder to come in :)
Jeep Wrangler JL Euro JLUR 2020 Punk'n - Vehicle / Build journal M panel (1).JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Euro JLUR 2020 Punk'n - Vehicle / Build journal M panel (2).JPG

OP
OP
taram

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey, Kid! Nice and clean job. Did you have to remove the passenger airbag? This step bothers me the most.

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
Yep, the airbag comes with - is held within - the cover.
There is an easy to access connector - I.e. easy to access once you removed the glovebox, which you have to remove anyway to reach the two bolts that do hold the airbag attached to the dashboard frame. For safety reasons it is recommended to disconnect (both!) batteries, this to prevent the airbag to accidentally get fired (though for that, the shock sensor needs to be triggered). There is little to worry about - I've been worrying more about damaging any parts during disassembly :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
taram

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great, I see. I'd probably take a brake with mods - surprisingly the red dash panel doesn't bother me much - probably got used to it?... I have installed front camera finally on this weekend - will post some photos soon, and still receive some false alarms from the front corners' parking sensors - a mystery to me, actually. Also will write a long post on it - probably someone could have an idea what's the reason.

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
still receive some false alarms from the front corners' parking sensors - a mystery to me, actually. Also will write a long post on it - probably someone could have an idea what's the reason.
Marat, I doubt it are false alarms - my guess you just don't know how to park a car despite driver licence and parking sensors :LOL: ;)

OP
OP
taram

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
... you don't need to know how to park your car with steel bumpers installed, actually :LOL:

Seriously - if I remove the metal back covers of the front bumper end caps - all is good. But when I install them - it might show the red zone spontaneously. Either the sensor gets some resonance from these covers - but they are from the back of the sensors, where no ultrasound should be present :headbang:
I will post later some pictures for better understanding.

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
I'd probably take a brake with mods.
I keep on going for a while still. Have to replace taillights (halogens to convert to LED), install the LCA's (if they arrive), shocks are on their way, a bumper, hmmm, what else do I forget here...

OP
OP
taram

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi everybody!
Uff, it's been a month since my last post! Looks like the cancelled quarantine measures have cancelled my Jeep activity, but this is not true ))) As planned I have finally installed the front camera. Some of you might remember that I have passed the cable for the front camera together with the power cables for the RSE power sliding step. I will attach quite a lot of photos, so will separate them in several messages for better look. After the photos I will write my personal opinion on that.

First things first - let's try to understand WHAT you can see from the driver's seat, and whu you could possibly need the front camera. The first broom that can be at least seen from the driver's seat is about 5.2 m from the front bumper
Jeep Wrangler JL Euro JLUR 2020 Punk'n - Vehicle / Build journal IMG_1856.JPG

And this is how it looks from the driver seat:
Jeep Wrangler JL Euro JLUR 2020 Punk'n - Vehicle / Build journal IMG_1842.JPG

Now, the other one is about 65 cm from the front bumper, and voila - this is something I can see now thanks to the front camera:
Jeep Wrangler JL Euro JLUR 2020 Punk'n - Vehicle / Build journal IMG_1846.JPG
Sponsored