taram

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2020 2.2 Diesel Punk'n RHD
After this I took a couple days off the garage, and then finally started with Rock Slide Engineering power step sliders - the most challenging and interesting install I must admit. The process was quite nervous, to be very honest, especially loosing the body mount bolts, that a lot of people managed to brake which turns out a catastrophe as then you must drill out the broken stud or in the worst case cut the body to get an access to the broken part. I was patient and lucky enough to loose all 6 bolts with hand ratchet, 1/8 of turn each time maximum, forward and backward - a lot of effort and time, but in the end it was OK. On the 2 bolts I had to cut off 2-3 threads to let the washer go up and insert the mounting bracket... OK, I will not post all the details as this is quite a specific install of the not most popular upgrade - if anybody wants to get more details or help - PM me. I can only add that wiring was another huge challenge - especially passing the wires through the firewall , and removing almost all the interior plastic panels - that was something I've never done before. In the end I can say that this is a great product, I managed to install the lights for the steps as well - not the original light kit as I didn't like its blue light, but just a waterproof 12V LED-stripe, and it turned out that I have a faulty circuit board as on the left side the light won't turn off even when the step retracts and doors are closed. I contacted the RSE support, provided a video and they promised to send the new circuit board to me free of charge - if it ends up like this then I must admit they have an excellent customer service.
I will attach just some installation pictures and tomorrow hopefully I will take some good photos and short video with the steps working.
P.S. You can also see the MOPAR door sill protection installed - finally it was warm enough to put them on )

IMG_1283.JPG

IMG_1284.JPG

PTVN6704.JPG
Sponsored

OP
OP
taram

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In the meanwhile I added a poll to the thread - you can see it on top of the page. A forum member from Cyprus showed me today a set of the same rims that I have painted black in the local paint shop. I was thinking of this even before that - as if I'm not mistaken it's an available option now for WILLYS edition - but when I saw the real photos of them - I am seriously thinking of painting them black now. Attached is a configurator picture form the US site of Punk'n orange WILLYS with black rims:
UPD: the trick is that I’m almost sure that I will keep the OEM rims for a long time as I’m not going to DESTROY them actually )... so that means that if I choose the option #2 - then most probably I will have these rims for the lifetime of the Jeep... )
iris.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
taram

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey everyone,
Here's a short video of the RSE steps working:

Tadek6

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2019 4dr Rubicon / 2015 Jeep GC SRT
Hi Marat

Did you ever get your parking sensors working? I have a similar issue having fitted an aftermarket steel bumper, drilled the holes and now none of my sensors work and I am getting a "Park Assist Maintenance" error come up where neither front nor back sensors are working. I originally took two of the sensors off (the outer one on each side). If they are unplugged it will register a fault.
I have now damaged those two outer sensors in an accident and need to replace them but I can not find a part number or parts list for UK or EU models with 6 sensors at the front.
Do you happen to know the part numbers or know where I can get the part numbers?

Thanks (like the side steps btw)

Nick

OP
OP
taram

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Marat

Did you ever get your parking sensors working? I have a similar issue having fitted an aftermarket steel bumper, drilled the holes and now none of my sensors work and I am getting a "Park Assist Maintenance" error come up where neither front nor back sensors are working. I originally took two of the sensors off (the outer one on each side). If they are unplugged it will register a fault.
I have now damaged those two outer sensors in an accident and need to replace them but I can not find a part number or parts list for UK or EU models with 6 sensors at the front.
Do you happen to know the part numbers or know where I can get the part numbers?

Thanks (like the side steps btw)

Nick
Hey Nick!
I have installed the OEM brackets/bezels on the rear bumper as I have purchased the MOPAR steel bumper set and separately a steel bumper shell WITH holes for the parking sensors as this is an available option for the US. Since then I have never experienced any problem with the rear parking sensors. They work just fine - not the best overall performance, compared to BMW parking sensors, for examlpe, but this is the original way they work - nothing to do with their replacement into the steel bumper.
Regarding the front bumper - drilling holes and installing the park sensors' mounts from the plastic bumper didn't work for me - I received the false alarm from the outer ones (most probably they were activated by the wider tire with spacer installed, so the sensor could "see" the edge of the tire), and also I think I used not the best place for the middle sensors (not the center ones, but if we number all the front sensors from 1 to 6 then I'm speaking about #2 and #4 - you can see them here https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/attachments/img_1020-jpg.289160/ ) - I think they were constantly activated by the fog light frame.
So what I did was removing the glued reused original mounts, ordering extra bezels and mounts for the REAR steel bumper and fitting them for the front bumper.
I solved the issue with the sensors #1, #2, #5 and #6, but now I receive (very rear, but still) a false alarm from the center sensors (#3 and #4) - I think this is because the mounts for the rear bumper don't have the flat design initially, and the center sensors are now oriented a bit to the center and they might react to the license plate holder which I have inserted into the winch fairlead adapter - I haven't posted the pictures with the new mounts yet, will do this tomorrow probably.

Since I don't want to remove my front bumper anymore (I managed to tighten all 8 bolts connecting the bumper to the frame with prescribed 100 Nm torque!) I will try to remove just the plastic caps from outside and somehow play with the mounts of the center sensors. Your post stimulates me to try this tomorrow as it wasn't bothering me that much, but I kept it in my mind like "something to do after everything else is done" ))).
If I succeed to reach the sensors from outside - I will tell you the part number of the sensor and will take more closeup pictures with my setup.
Regarding your problem I didn't understand quite well - you didn't install the outer sensors or removed them? Do you have drilled the holes for all 6 sensors? It's very strange that your rear sensors don't work - maybe post a picture of your setup to get a better understanding what could be wrong with that?
Cheers!

Sponsored

Tadek6

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Nick!
I have installed the OEM brackets/bezels on the rear bumper as I have purchased the MOPAR steel bumper set and separately a steel bumper shell WITH holes for the parking sensors as this is an available option for the US. Since then I have never experienced any problem with the rear parking sensors. They work just fine - not the best overall performance, compared to BMW parking sensors, for examlpe, but this is the original way they work - nothing to do with their replacement into the steel bumper.
Regarding the front bumper - drilling holes and installing the park sensors' mounts from the plastic bumper didn't work for me - I received the false alarm from the outer ones (most probably they were activated by the wider tire with spacer installed, so the sensor could "see" the edge of the tire), and also I think I used not the best place for the middle sensors (not the center ones, but if we number all the front sensors from 1 to 6 then I'm speaking about #2 and #4 - you can see them here https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/attachments/img_1020-jpg.289160/ ) - I think they were constantly activated by the fog light frame.
So what I did was removing the glued reused original mounts, ordering extra bezels and mounts for the REAR steel bumper and fitting them for the front bumper.
I solved the issue with the sensors #1, #2, #5 and #6, but now I receive (very rear, but still) a false alarm from the center sensors (#3 and #4) - I think this is because the mounts for the rear bumper don't have the flat design initially, and the center sensors are now oriented a bit to the center and they might react to the license plate holder which I have inserted into the winch fairlead adapter - I haven't posted the pictures with the new mounts yet, will do this tomorrow probably.

Since I don't want to remove my front bumper anymore (I managed to tighten all 8 bolts connecting the bumper to the frame with prescribed 100 Nm torque!) I will try to remove just the plastic caps from outside and somehow play with the mounts of the center sensors. Your post stimulates me to try this tomorrow as it wasn't bothering me that much, but I kept it in my mind like "something to do after everything else is done" ))).
If I succeed to reach the sensors from outside - I will tell you the part number of the sensor and will take more closeup pictures with my setup.
Regarding your problem I didn't understand quite well - you didn't install the outer sensors or removed them? Do you have drilled the holes for all 6 sensors? It's very strange that your rear sensors don't work - maybe post a picture of your setup to get a better understanding what could be wrong with that?
Cheers!
Wow! You have really been through it so far! But that is the beauty of these vehicles right? Got to love the challenge.

Thanks for your reply.
My situation is that I bought a steel bumper and from the pictures online it showed 4 parking sensors had been drilled into it.
I liked the look of the bumper and bought it thinking I could fit four of the sensors and leave the two most outer ones off.

upload_2020-4-29_13-44-43.png

When I fitted the bumper without the two outer ones, nothing worked. I then thought that perhaps the circuit needs the 6 sensors to function completely.
I went to go and attach the two outer sensors to see if this would remedy the situation but we have just moved house and my wife admitted to throwing a box out which had my sensors and clips in!!!!!!!
So now I have to try and find replacements to match the old ones. In the picture above, you will see I have removed two more sensors to see if I could find a part number or anything to help and this is what I found:

upload_2020-4-29_13-54-42.png

upload_2020-4-29_13-55-14.png

upload_2020-4-29_13-55-51.png

And this is my rig so far.........

upload_2020-4-29_13-56-26.png

So I have entered those codes into the internet and searched for days but to no avail. For the US cars there are build sheets and parts list but I cannot find that for the European spec cars and it is driving me mad.

Even when I do finally locate the sensors and clips, drill the final two holes, it probably still won't work as I don't think I have installed the other four exactly as they were before. The sensors are in the correct order but two may be rotated 90 degrees and I did not think that mattered?

Oh well. Any help would be greatly appreciated if you can find the part numbers or any OEM equivalent (I have even contacted Jeep but no answer yet).

Best

Nick

upload_2020-4-29_13-49-36.png

OP
OP
taram

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Nick,

Today I have checked my setup and replaced the center sensors mounts (actually, I switched left to right/right to left and trimmed the bezels a bit so that they don't point too low) and the system seems to work without errors so far even with the license plate installed - I had tested it in many ways and didn't receive any false alarm as I used to have before. Let's go through you questions one by one:
1. You're absolutely right - you cannot use just 4 sensors out of 6 - this will immediately bring on the "Front park sense maintenance" message.
2. VERY IMPORTANT: you should never turn the sensors 90 degrees! The only possible option is to turn them 180 degrees only. The reason for that is that the ultrasound signal that the sensors emit has a "flattened" profile if you understand what I mean. By this the sensor can detect more horizontal range without the ground being detected - that's why park sense doesn't detect low pavement border stones and etc. If you turn it 90 degrees - you change the profile to the "vertical", so your sensors start to detect the ground as an obstacle permanently. I think this is the reason why you have the error message - the park sense may be considered faulty by the car computer if it permanently receives an alarm from sensors. I have drawn the diagram of the ultrasound radiation very simplified, and of course the true picture is more complicated, but you will get the general idea:

312892-22fa99b01955216935b69d25f2872ae4.jpg

This is also supported by the fact that the OEM sensors mounts can be inserted into the bumper holes only in a very specific position when the sensors are strictly horizontal. SO make sure all your sensors are oriented with the wire plug facing left or right, but not up or down. For the same reason rotating the sensors even for 10-15 degrees is unwanted (but still possible though from my experience) - the OEM mounts even compensate the bumper surface curves. In your case I'd suggest placing the outer sensors on the side surfaces (I circled the possible positions with red) - they might be useless, but at least you won't have any problems with them. In the end of the days we're mostly using the center ones to approach the wall or next car.
312893-9651f9f694ee6813c083207b0c96ef86.png

3. Regarding the SENSOR part number - I have exactly the same part number of the front sensors as you do: 6YD83TRMAA. Surprisingly it's impossible to find them by this part number, BUT - check the Quadtratec shop - they have the OEM rear parking sensors for sale and luckily you can choose in the upper right corner "REAR" or "FRONT" bumper! And if I choose the FRONT bumper I get the following MOPAR number: 6MQ01RXFAA - https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/park-assist-sensor-wrangler-jl/front-bumper-sensor. Quadtratec says they must be pre-ordered, but I strongly recommend you to contact Benny - @AllMoparParts.com - they have the item shown on-stock and a better price - https://parts.allmoparparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-sensor-park-assist-6mq01rxfaa . Also you can PM him to confirm that this will fit your vehicle. My personal opinion is that most probably the front and rear sensors do not differ much, BUT if they show different part numbers - better to get the front ones. We all know that the US Jeeps never had front parking sensors on any trim so far, so this must be a part exactly for our EMEA-market Jeeps, I guess. The only difference I see is that our rear parking sensors have the wires plugs coming out backwards, and the front sensors have their plugs going aside. But they both fir perfectly in the standard sensor mount.
Another option is to contact your dealership as they must have these spareparts on stock in case they must be replaced for warranty or in case of accident repair, but that could take you months...
4. Regarding the mounts and bezels I strongly recommend you to order them together with the park sensors and fit them to your front bumper.
Here are the part numbers:
Bezels:
6MH82RXFAB - right inner x1
6MH83RXFAB - left inner x1
6MH84RXFAB - right outer x2
6MH85RXFAB - left outer x2

Brackets:
68295600AC - right inner x1
68295601AC - left inner x1
68295602AC - right outer x2
68295603AC - left outer x2

Ring-decoupler - needed for the new 2 park sensors as they come without them. Your existing sensors have them - it's a small rubber ring around the sensors head.
68289851AA x 2 pieces?

My selection was based on my test-fitting of the sensor mounts before I installed them in the rear bumper, so probably you will need other selection as the outer bezels are quite inclined.
Hope this helps and here are some photos of my setup - the bumper is a bit dirty, but still )

ultrasound.jpg

upload_2020-4-29_13-44-43.png

IMG_1446.JPG

IMG_1447.JPG

IMG_1450.JPG

IMG_1451.JPG

IMG_1452.JPG

IMG_1453.JPG

IMG_1454.JPG

IMG_1455.JPG

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
Marat, one question from my side (me digging in to a bumper change as well...).

This picture was your initial sensor set-up, and I'd try to make things work like this first, I.e. completely flush.
Are the part numbers for the brackets you mention, the part numbers for the brackets as shown in this picture?
Marat 1 (Klein).JPG

IMG_0994 (Klein).JPG

Last edited:

Tadek6

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Marat,

You have been sooooo helpful. I can't thank you enough. I did try the dealership and I've written to Jeep UK but alas no response.

I will let you how I get on.....eventually!

Best

Nick

OP
OP
taram

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

This picture was your initial sensor set-up, and I'd try to make things work like this first, I.e. completely flush.
Are the part numbers for the brackets you mention, the part numbers for the brackets as shown in this picture?
Marat 1 (Klein).JPG

IMG_0994 (Klein).JPG
Hey Kid (sorry if it's not the real name, but it says in your profile )),

No, this is what I did initially - I used a hairdryer as @Rudolph Hart advised me to remove the original sensor mounts from the plastic bumper - they are heat-sealed in it. Take your time, heat them up well - and you will easily detach them with a plastic trim tool nice and slow. Later I cleaned them, used some sand paper and alcohol, and glued them to the inner side of the steel bumper and plastic caps with a good bitumen glue. That was a nice and clean job, but for some reason that didn't work for me - I received the false alarms all way long... I was really pissed off as I was 99% sure that should work fine, but well...
That's why I decided to order additional REAR bumper mounts (there are no front bumper sensor mounts on sale, AFAIK) and fit them in the drilled 29 mm holes of the front bumper - so you can see them on my last photos, and the part numbers I provided are for these mounts... Maybe if you find some better positions for the sensors you'll be lucky to leave the original plastic mounts with a completely flush surface...

Sponsored

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
Thank you Marat :like:

(and yes, it is Kid in real life as well ;) )

OP
OP
taram

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Marat 1 (Klein).JPG

IMG_0994 (Klein).JPG
Kid, probably you should try to put the sensors #2 and #5 not where I drilled the holes - I think that was my mistake - but closer to the middle ones (#3 and #4) - maybe that will allow you to avoid the problem that the sensors detected the frame of the fog light as an obstacle in my case:

Marat 1 (Klein).JPG

OP
OP
taram

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Marat,

You have been sooooo helpful. I can't thank you enough. I did try the dealership and I've written to Jeep UK but alas no response.

I will let you how I get on.....eventually!

Best

Nick
Nick, you're more than welcome - I'm glad to share my experience and I know how confusing this stuff might be after I have gone through all of this ;)
Yes, please do let us know on your progress, especially if you order the sensors - that's important to understand as they can be easily damaged even in a very light accident or on the trail. Good luck!

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
Marat, if I'm allowed... because it might help Nick out as well.

Some research...
The 2019-2020 Dodge Ram appears to use FCA sensors as well, being the 5YV68TRMAA which do share one reference number with the original ones, and looks identical (as far as I can tell). The Ram does use mounts you can click in from the outside. That way they will not be 100% flush, but they are quite low in appearance. The part number is 5LS52TZZAA. The thickness of the material they need to go through - steel vs plastic bumper - might be a restricting factor, but these bezels can't be expensive, and worth checking out.

Dodge sensor.JPG

Dodge RAM sensor Bezel 5LS52TZZAA small.jpg

A Youtube vid which shows them:

Last edited:
OP
OP
taram

taram

First Name
Marat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi, Kid!

Very nice comment, thank you, certainly you're allowed - this is what this forum is needed for!
I will just put my 2 cents - I think you're right, and you can use the sensors and flat mounts from RAM - but my problem was EXACTLY with the flat mounts of the sensors! The outer sensors were detecting the edge of the larger tire sticking out and if you look a the surface of the plastic bumper, where the outer sensors are installed - it's almost vertical. And the steel bumper has an incline around 20-30 degrees I guess in the same area...
Actually the video you attached shows that clearly - RAM has a very narrow and straight rear bumper where you can use just a flat design mounts, though they look almost the same as Jeep's do. So to make everything clear I must have probably told form the very beginning that I really NEEDED the inclined design of the sensors' mounts to compensate the curves of the bumper, so that the sensor working surface is as vertical and perpendicular to the vehicle body as possible.
So if you manage to find some installation positions for the sensors where you don't need any special mounts and still don't receive any false alarms - that'd be great, and you can use just the OEM mounts removed from the original plastic bumper as on my initial setup - that's the best look IMO. My problem was that you can't check it unless you drill the holes, install the sensors, assemble everything back... and realize nothing's working fine :facepalm::CWL:
Sponsored