First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Metal Fabricator & Stuff
Thanks for the info. Got me thinking now maybe just make the bumper out of stainless and not paint it, just leave it satin finish. Maybe have the center section plain steel for strength and ease of fabrication/drilling but plate the exterior in stainless.
Absolutely! I liked the way my bumpers and sliders looked without paint. At some point maybe I’ll go back and build it all again out of stainless. Aside from the DOM tubing I used whatever material I had laying around. I also thought it might be cool to have everything hot dip galvanized.

Good luck on your build!
Sponsored

Mud2Sno

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Rubicon
Oh yeah, I have tested them and they work like a charm! I've done the old drop onto a rock ledge thing a few times and used them to pivot around countless obstacles. They have been on the Rubicon Trail, Barrett Lake Trail, Sierra Buttes and down through the Gold Lake OHV area.... I wouldn't change a thing about them. We're hitting Dusy Ershim Trail next Wednesday.
Thanks for the feedback and have fun on the Dusy!

Jeepin_Donnie

First Name
Donnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR, 23 Wildtrak Bronco w/Sasquatch package
Occupation
Benefits Manager
Awesome build!

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
I haven't had much time for wrenching lately and my date with Dusy Ershim Trail is coming up

That's all for now. We'll be hitting the Dusy from October 10-15. There are two Jeeps going. If you want to come, let me know.
Awesome build! Did you ever do the dusy? I plan to do it next summer.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ethan

Ethan

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Metal Fabricator & Stuff
Awesome build! Did you ever do the dusy? I plan to do it next summer.

Wow, just catching up here. Sorry for the slow reply.

Yes, Dusy was a dusy! We went with one other Jeep ('15 JK 2 door with 35's, 3-1/2" JCR lift, Fox shox, and lots of other goodies) and took two days to go through. Our only issue was that we didn't bring enough warm clothing or winter sleeping bags! Being that high up makes for some freezing nights. Thompson Hill is the only real serious obstacle and if you choose good lines, like we did, it's challenging but not crazy. It's a beautiful area and the trail is mostly easy. We will be returning this summer to explore some other trails around the area.

We didn't suffer any damage other than a scuff on the hard top (narrow passages between trees) and some paint removal on the sliders, bumpers, and belly pans. Our friends JK took the worst of it with a pretty banged up AEV rear bumper. When we got back I was able to straighten it out and reweld some cracked factory weld joints, joints that should not have broken. It's totally on AEV. Had I welded the bumper up to start with it would not have broken--definite QC issue for AEV. In the end AEV would not lift a finger to replace or warranty the bumper in any way. All I can say is that AEV products are not for rock crawling and will never appear on any of my rigs-- thin material, oversized welds with crappy penetration, overcomplicated designs, and crappy customer service... I'm not a fan. AEV is for overlanding at Walmart.

Dusy is awesome! Bring a chainsaw if you go early or late in the season. We had no saw and had to drag a few trees out of the way and chop one in half with an axe....

OP
OP
Ethan

Ethan

First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Metal Fabricator & Stuff