Sponsored

Essential road trip charger adaptors for 4xe?

Andric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sahara High Altitude 4xe
Hi all. I am looking to do a few road trips in the spring and was wondering which charger adaptors are the most useful - if any. I liek to take a good break around every 3-4 hours but it seems likethere ar emany diferent charger types.
Sponsored

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
You can only use the J1772 connector, and as far as I know most, if not all public Level 2 chargers are J1772 , or you can use your the level 1 supplied with your Wrangler(3-4 hours might get you 7 miles of charge).

I don't think there are anything like adaptors for the J1772, other than the Tesla to J1772, not exactly sure what that is about, but you would not be able to use that for instance at a Tesla super charger(Level 3).

I have never seen a Tesla specific level 2 charger, maybe that exist, home installations perhaps, where that adaptor can be used to charge a vehicle with a J1772.

For the most part going out of your way to charge for highway driving is not worth the hassle.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
Zero reason to charge on a road trip. First you don’t need to, second since you don’t need to, if you do you could be blocking the charger from somebody in a EV that does NEED to charge. The pure electric part of 4xe is really meant only for daily commuting.

Mowcowbell

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
Can't imagine taking a road trip, stopping for 2 HOURS just to get another 20-25 miles of EV range. Pump in gas in 5 mins, head back on the road is the way a PHEV should be road tripped.

OP
OP

Andric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sahara High Altitude 4xe
I ddin't ask for a critique.
I take a 2 hour break every 4 hours ot most due to various reasons. I may as well charge it if I can & doesnt impact others.

Sponsored

Mowcowbell

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe

Eddies

First Name
Eduardo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe
At most the Tesla adapter but even that may not be necessary. Check on PlugShare what chargers are available on your route and you’ll see.

you cannot use any level 3 charger, and level 2’s are either the J1772 or Tesla. And it seems even level 2 Tesla destination chargers may not work with non-Tesla cars.

you cannot use the Tesla supercharger either.

I would totally charge it for an hour when stopping for lunch specially if it’s a free charger but I wouldn’t get out of my way for that. And I’d leave a note saying how long I plan to be there and my cell if I’m using the only charger available, in case an EV owner needs it more than me.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
FedEx-retired
I take a 2 hour break every 4 hours ot most due to various reasons. I may as well charge it if I can & doesnt impact others.
[/QUO
Granted you didn’t ask for a critique, but with your question you did open the door for an EV charging etiquette lesson. Nothing worse than pulling up to the only charger at 1% and seeing a Prius prime plugged in and they have 3 more hours of shopping to do or worse overnight at a hotel all to save $5.00 worth of gas.

Plug in hybrids are great! Intended use is plug in daily for commuting and gas them up for a road trip.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
There are more "Level 2" chargers out there than anything else. I usually use the ChargePoint app to locate chargers, but sometimes use "abetterrouteplanner.com"

In either case, just filter on level 2 J1772 connectors to locate chargers at or near places that you want to stop.

I don't think spending the coin on a tesla destination charger adapter will appreciably increase your pool of places to stop, and including it in your search criteria on the EV app may misguide you to superchargers you won't be able to use.

As an aside, last time I was road-tripping and needed a CHAdeMO connector, I ran into some poor chap who was charging his Tesla at an EVConnect station that had an embedded TESLA adapter. The display showed it charging at a pathetic 15kw. I pointed out that even though the app said it could charge at 50kw, that was "up to 50kw" and he wasn't getting anywhere near that, and he'd be way ahead of the game to unplug and drive a mile or so to the nearest Tesla supercharger and juice up there.

I don't know why I really bring that up, except that it tends to illustrate the point out that adapters, whether you carry them with you or they're built into the charger, aren't necessarily all they're cracked up to be. 😜

If you really want to increase the pool of places to stop, consider carrying a level 2 charger with you, with plugs that'll fit into 30Amp and 50Amp RV sockets, as folks have been plugging in their RV trailers for far longer than they've been driving EVs. (These won't always be available to use for free, though, so this may not be a cost effective technique unless you're also paying for a place to stop and camp/rest overnight)

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EV charging etiquette lesson. Nothing worse than pulling up to the only charger at 1% and seeing a Prius prime plugged in and they have 3 more hours of shopping to do or worse overnight at a hotel all to save $5.00 worth of gas.
Charging's charging. Level II is always opportunistic, and chargers are first-come-first-served. While some folks do hold your point of view that only "pure EVs" should be using L2 chargers; certainly not everyone agrees.

Sponsored

BXFXJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Sahara
You could get a Tesla to J1772 adapter which would allow you to use Tesla Destination Chargers that have J1772 charging set: https://www.amazon.com/Lectron-Charging-Compatible-Connectors-Destination/dp/B09DCTJCTV/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2PFWY9I13RXLZ&keywords=teslatap&qid=1668784425&sprefix=teslatap,aps,113&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1&smid=A3L9663CMWRIQ2 If I were staying at a vacation cabin that had external power, I'd just bring along the Jeep Level 1 evse.
@ $159 I don't think it's worth the money for the handful of times this may work.

My guess for this to even start paying for itself, I would have to use it over 1000x at a free Tesla charger, doubt I could ever come close to that.

Currently I balance between charging and driving on gas, most times mid spring to mid fall I get the best usage from pure electric driving 9/10, during winter I tend to do 2/3 electric.

Many times in the winter I just charge to keep it charged, but use eSave when the battery reaches 75%. 10km or less round trips I'll use electric for sure, over that I start considering if I wanna walk in snow or ice rain to charge.

I don't have a charger at home, so if I had one I would probably do more winter electric, but since my free public chargers involves riding or walking 5-10 minutes in the cold and or snow, I just run mostly gas, since electric benefits aren't that much in the winter for me.

Theeulogy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4xe, 2015 Chevy SS, DF Goblin
I have an EV as well as a 4xe, so I have a Tesla tap for travel. I probably will not take it when traveling with the Jeep, I don't depend on battery when driving it. When I travel in my VW Id4, I take it with me as my backup plan, if the charger at the hotel is only a Tesla one, or the J1772 is broke.

Even with a dedicated EV, adapters aren't to save money with free charging, they are to keep from not having a place to charge. It is mildly frustrating to go somewhere that has a free J1772, and see Pacifica Hybrid plugged in to it that will be done charging in 2 hours and sitting charging all day keeping me from getting charge I need to drive home 200 miles.

Theeulogy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4xe, 2015 Chevy SS, DF Goblin
You could get a Tesla to J1772 adapter which would allow you to use Tesla Destination Chargers that have J1772 charging set: https://www.amazon.com/Lectron-Charging-Compatible-Connectors-Destination/dp/B09DCTJCTV/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2PFWY9I13RXLZ&keywords=teslatap&qid=1668784425&sprefix=teslatap,aps,113&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1&smid=A3L9663CMWRIQ2 If I were staying at a vacation cabin that had external power, I'd just bring along the Jeep Level 1 evse.
Definitely shy away from these cheap adapters, spend the extra few bucks and get a Tesla tap. Too many horror stories on the Lectron units, limited compatibility, and even worse damaging charge ports. I don't believe this unit works with the 4xe at all anyway.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
FedEx-retired
Charging's charging. Level II is always opportunistic, and chargers are first-come-first-served. While some folks do hold your point of view that only "pure EVs" should be using L2 chargers; certainly not everyone agrees.
Some people chew with their mouth open….not appealing to others and poor etiquette. It’s definitely a choice.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Some people chew with their mouth open….not appealing to others and poor etiquette. It’s definitely a choice.
I think we can all agree that no one should remain plugged in on a charger for more than a trivial amount of time after their vehicle is charged.
Sponsored