Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
I'd like to offer the problem and solution; you the diagnosis. Thanks.

Problem
(and I use the term loosely)

ESS won't engage. Rule out all the obvious reasons. ESS disable button not pressed, no CANbus technology turning it off, and engine is warm. It use to engage.

Light errands driver--admittingly little highway to charge batteries. Dual dash cam runs 24X7 but will cut out if battery drops below 12.X volts.

Solution

Trickle charge the rig.

Diagnosis Guess

Replace ESS battery?

Replace main battery?

Don't expect ESS to engage without trickle charging if a light use driver, with a dash cam on when then rig isn't no less?

Something else?

========

I have an appointment with the dealer in a week.

Thanks.

P.S. I would find it ironic to spend money on electric to charge the rig, to engage ESS, to save on gasoline.

Dual battery system, with two batteries, North of $1K and I'm not a camper/overlander: thanks but no thanks.
Sponsored

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
Probably something else. Switch your center gauge to show Start/Stop messages. There it will say why it's not coming on; Steep incline, warming up, cabin warming, seatbelt not on, etc.. If no message then are you pushing the brake hard enough at a stop. If you are only applying real light pressure to keep the jeep from moving on flat ground then it's not going to shut the engine off. Quick stops never shut the engine off. If the engine shuts off and you barely take your foot off the brake for a quick pull up closer as the cars in front of you magically moved another 10 ft forward it's going to turn on and never turn off again. Same thing if going from medium pressure to light pressure to where the Jeep doesn't move but the brake push is too light. Past x amounts of seconds it will turn back on no matter (I think 90?). Gear selector isn't in Drive. You're in 4 wheel drive.

All that and probably a ton more can cause it to not come on. Bad ESS battery? Possible. But less likely. Or it's just a faulty switch somewhere. The main one I think is under the hood on the right above the radiator next to another one that I don't know what it does. Saw that on the Jeep Informant on YouTube. He must be like the manager of the service department.

Anyhow - just some ideas to try!

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Are you using a Tazer JL? If so, ditch the 11.0,6 firmware.

My ESS issue required the dealership to "relearn" the system which took several hours to do.

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
Are you using a Tazer JL? If so, ditch the 11.0,6 firmware.

My ESS issue required the dealership to "relearn" the system which took several hours to do.
No sir, no Tazer JL, i.e. CANbus technology device, as cited above, aboard.

Yeah, "relearn"...funny. Sorta of reminds me of when my cousin says he needs to get back in shape, which of course would be predicated on his once being in shape.

Sponsored

OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned
OP
OP

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
  • Banned

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Go to menu choice #6 on the EVIC which is the start/stop screen, it should display what condition ESS is in, examples can be “ battery charging, engine not up to temp, cabin heating/cooling, seatbelt not fastened etc...

In may case my battery voltage had been reading 14+ volts for months and ESS was disabled thru my Tazer so it just advised off but when I removed the Tazer it gave me the battery charging message and the dealer found the main battery had failed a GR8 test so it was replaced and works perfectly now with no issues at all, there have been reports of ppl haveing supposed issues with the Tazer and also main battery’s failing, I currently am not using my Tazer for test purposes and come the first of the year will start using it again to do further testing
Sponsored