ESS when parking

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
For those of you that hate how the ESS shuts off the engine when you are parking only to start it again when you put it in park I have discovered a workaround for you.

Stop.. engine shuts off
Do not put in park but open the drivers door.
Put jeep in park. The engine will not restart.
Of course you will need to hit the start button twice because it is in accessory now. But you will not have people looking at you strange for starting your Jeep just to park it. :)

Discovered this by accident the other day and thought I would share.
Sponsored

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
For those of you that hate how the ESS shuts off the engine when you are parking only to start it again when you put it in park I have discovered a workaround for you.

Stop.. engine shuts off
Of course you will need to hit the start button twice because it is in accessory now. But you will not have people looking at you strange for starting your Jeep just to park it. :)

By far, that is the most annoying thing the ESS does. I've gotten use to the stoplight stuff and it doesn't bother me anymore. But with a manual transmission, I don't have a park option...

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase

Stop.. engine shuts off

Interesting work around! My solution is to back in when parking... ESS won't engage in reverse :like:
Plus that makes for quick getaways :bandit:

Vegvisir66

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU

Stop.. engine shuts off

Unclicking the seatbelt does the same thing.

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
Interesting work around! My solution is to back in when parking... ESS won't engage in reverse :like:
Plus that makes for quick getaways :bandit:
same here.

I have found that light pressure on the brake keeps the engine from turning off when parking. Thankfully. That quirk was quite annoying.
mastering the brake is the easiest thing for me.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
at first, i figured that the ess was going to be a pain. but i've gotten used to it and its second nature to me. thats until someone else drives it.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler

Stop.. engine shuts off

Cute trick: it reminds me of helicopter safety training and how to open the cockpit doors during an, echem, "uncontrolled landing" (i.e crash landing) just before hitting land or water, so as to increase chances of the doors not jaming from, echem, "structural changes to the cabin" that deform the doors from opening do to said "uncontrolled landing.";)

Sponsored

SABLE RHINO

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT S 3.6L
Or just press the button when you want to disable it?.. Not sure why people have so much trouble with that.
First thing I do after I start it, every time. Eventually when I change the tires from stock ill buy the programmer and be done with it.

OP
OP
Snayte

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
Yep, just don't use as much pressure on the brake so that the ESS doesn't engage. :like:
Yeah, I actually never have this problem. Less to do with brake pressure and more to do with it not taking me more than a second to put the gear shift into park.

Where I will actually use this trick is when I am picking my wife up from work. I usually just stop the ESS kick in until she comes out, typically a minute or two. If it gets longer I will open the door put it in park and continue to wait and the radio even stays on since the ignition switch is in accessory.

TEOTWAWKI Rubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Jeep JLU Rubicon, 1955 Ford Thunderbird
I can't believe you guys change your driving habits like that to accommodate that stupid "feature." Just turn that shit off! It's crazy that people add unnecessary actions to their parking sequence just so Jeep can get their extra .001% mpg boost.

Aranimus

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
I posted a question about this here awhile ago when I first got our Jeep --- I was just getting used to the ESS (which doesn't bug me except for this very issue!) and thought it was crazy that it would shut down then restart when you put it in park (though I suppose it depends on your timing, brake pressure etc)!

Anyway, over time, I've gotten used to it....sometimes adjusting my brake pressure works, sometimes I remember to disable the ESS before parking (to Teo's point above), sometimes my wife and I just laugh.

First world problems, no doubt! But cool idea Snayte, and I'll try it as I'm curious what order-of-operation things affects the ESS!
Sponsored