Sponsored

ESS - The data behind fuel consumption (really interesting video)

Outwest970

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
So, this video explains a study that was done to compare how much fuel is used by idling your car (say at a stoplight or train track) vs. shutting off and restarting the engine (for example, using an ESS system). It turns out that there is some pretty good evidence to suggest that using an ESS does save quite a bit of gas. Check it out:

http://digg.com/video/idling-waste-fuel

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
makes sense.

McBeeve

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2-door Rubicon
Occupation
Facilities Administrator

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I like ESS. I have a manual so i have control over when it comes on.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
This should be stickied at the top of the page, with the title corrected to say "fuel" instead of "full". Great video.

There is way too much fuss over ESS. It saves money. It helps the environment. And it can be shut off with a single button press. There shouldn't even be a debate over this system.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
I don't mind the ESS, but here's a glitch... I do a lot of city driving. Enough that my average economy over the last 5000 km is only 16 l/100km (that's 14.7 mpg). I have the 8-speed auto, but I like to drive it in manual mode for better gear prediction and proper down-shifting.

Here's the glitch: if I DO find myself stuck at a light where I think the ESS would be worth-while and move the lever back to D from M, the ESS system is "not ready" and won't stop the engine. What? Huh? My A/C is off, in fact the whole climate system is off because I like to open the windows, the radio is not loud, my lights are off, been driving for 20 minutes (so not a charge issue) and ESS is not ready? Don't get it. Happens every day.

OP
OP
Outwest970

Outwest970

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
This should be stickied at the top of the page, with the title corrected to say "fuel" instead of "full". Great video.

There is way too much fuss over ESS. It saves money. It helps the environment. And it can be shut off with a single button press. There shouldn't even be a debate over this system.

Sorry, title fixed! Not sure how it gets stickied :)

Sponsored

Tommy T

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70 Hemi Cuda Covertible
Occupation
Engineering/Construction
That is fine and dandy. Lets go one more step. Question is, how much savings in money for that gas, shutting down idling at a stop light, etc.
Boils down to how much city traffic, how big of city, vs living in the country.

How often is the starter going to be replaced? More wear and tear of on/off cycling, compared to saving on gas
(money for gas) (expense for changing out starters more often)

Every action has an equally opposite re-action.

Shoot the seals, we'll save the whales.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I like ESS. I have a manual so i have control over when it comes on.
Yeah, when I hit the clutch feathering the throttle really isn't a problem. Plus driving around with top or windows down and it shuts off at a long light it is nice. Then I look around and see everyone windows up, engines idling. It's even more ridiculous at a drive through or RX drive running the engine for 5 minutes when it is a nice day out.

I also enjoy playing how far I can roll to a light with the engine off!

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
That is fine and dandy. Lets go one more step. Question is, how much savings in money for that gas, shutting down idling at a stop light, etc.
Boils down to how much city traffic, how big of city, vs living in the country.

How often is the starter going to be replaced? More wear and tear of on/off cycling, compared to saving on gas
(money for gas) (expense for changing out starters more often)

Every action has an equally opposite re-action.

Shoot the seals, we'll save the whales.
These are great questions. The starters "should" last the same. It's heavy duty and made for it. Outside of that, what else gets taxed more when doing an ESS restart?

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
The title of that video should be called "Americans Have No Idea About Anything, Really."

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Without taking sides of the ESS debate, without doing anything but admit that yes, on average ESS systems do save gas money, it's also true that some of this savings is eaten away by the engine shutoff that occurs only to find that the traffic light turns green in under the magic amount of time (say 7 seconds) that turning off the engine for makes sense.

Does that somehow through a monkey wrench into the ESS advocate's argument. No, it doesn't. But it is a factor that contributes to the ESS system only approaching, not realizing an ideal state....not until at least traffic lights and vehicles communicate, yes.;)
Sponsored