ESS system and aftermarket headlights?

Peyton95

First Name
Peyton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I have a 2020 JL WITHOUT the factory LED package, so I purchased the Oracle headlights with the halo. I wired them to the recommended fuse plug. Do any of you guys know if that would affect the auto start/stop (ESS) system or drain the secondary battery. I was thinking maybe it was wearing out the auxiliary battery with extra pull on it all the time, if that is even the battery it pulls from??? I don’t know much about that. It seems I always get “auto start stop not ready battery charging” all the time. It never seems to adequately charge.

edit: I have the 2.0 turbo and to my understanding, that doesn’t have the secondary battery?
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Do any of you guys know if that would affect the auto start/stop (ESS) system or drain the secondary battery.
I have Oracle headlights and have zero issues with ESS. Wiring the halos to the fuse box, should not cause any issues.

The ESS message you're seeing is common, even on brand new Wranglers. It's likely one of 2 things. First it could simply means you're not driving the vehicle enough to keep the battery substantially charged. Second, it could actually mean your battery is going bad. Either way, the suggestion is to have the battery tested.

I have the 2.0 turbo and to my understanding, that doesn’t have the secondary battery?
If it's non e-torque it does. If it is e-torque it does not.

Last edited:

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
edit: I have the 2.0 turbo and to my understanding, that doesn’t have the secondary battery?
It does not.
Yes - mine does have 2 batteries: 2020 2.0 Turbo non e-torque

Be careful what you believe from other people here:

From the manual:
Jeep Wrangler JL ESS system and aftermarket headlights? Screen Shot 2021-05-08 at 12.19.37 PM

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Yes - mine does have 2 batteries: 2020 2.0 Turbo non e-torque
That's true. I should have specified that e-torque doesn't have the 2nd battery. Non e-torque does.
Sponsored

Last edited: