Sponsored

ESS Stopped Working. "Now fixed. Not expected cause." IBS(Intelligent Battery Sensor)

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
Two things:

1. Effect on the starter, should ESS engage 5-6 times a drive? At 5-times a drive, to and from work 5 days a week, essentially 50 starts. 25 in the AM, 25 in the PM, plus any additional driving after work or on the weekends. (5-times a drive is a bit high for some)
Disregard #1 Answer here, post 71 if you're interested: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/ess-start-stop-not-working-properly.54359/page-5
2. It would be nice to have a battery voltage indicator on the Aux, similar to the main. At least we would know the Aux battery either took a dump or there's an issue with the Jeep/system.
Sponsored

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
Good luck. Let us know how it goes. G
Welp, dropped off an hour ago - was told they can't get to it until Monday at the earliest, most likely Tuesday.

Including Start/Stop Service Soon - First, I was told this occurred because of the Check Engine Light. I explained that every time I drive 20+ minutes this happens, including at night with the temps cooler and without the AC on full blast.
Check Engine Indicator - Code showed Camshaft Sensor Failure - I am waiting for the actual code number
Loose steering - I didn't need to explain much, he was aware of this issue
and 6qts of oil - I was told the tech's are 'very careful', but it shows 6qts because they don't have a partial amount in the system.

Another fault popped - had to do with the brake light - I have aftermarket lights all the way around the Jeep. No issue there.

** I will update next week**

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
Good luck. Let us know how it goes. G
Ready for Pick-up
I have a hard time believing the story I am being told.
6-qts of oil, removed 1-qt ... because of this, the CEL came on, also affecting my Start/Stop
I am waiting for a call back before I drive to the dealership to pick it up. The voicemail left didn't mention the P0390 fault that popped when pulling codes. Interested to see today's completed work.

Laundry list of items to be checked into Friday morning.
Including Start/Stop Service Soon (being told this was because of the CEL, via too much oil?)
Check Engine Indicator (P0390 - Camshaft Sensor - no mention of this over the phone)
Loose steering (Ordered parts for the TSB - few weeks out)
and 6qts of oil (removed 1qt - explained to me that is the reason for the check engine light)
Also updated my radio to the latest software (this was one of my minor complaints - Volume would continue to climb or drop to 0 after you released the knob)

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Ready for Pick-up
I have a hard time believing the story I am being told.
6-qts of oil, removed 1-qt ... because of this, the CEL came on, also affecting my Start/Stop
I am waiting for a call back before I drive to the dealership to pick it up. The voicemail left didn't mention the P0390 fault that popped when pulling codes. Interested to see today's completed work.

Laundry list of items to be checked into Friday morning.
Including Start/Stop Service Soon (being told this was because of the CEL, via too much oil?)
Check Engine Indicator (P0390 - Camshaft Sensor - no mention of this over the phone)
Loose steering (Ordered parts for the TSB - few weeks out)
and 6qts of oil (removed 1qt - explained to me that is the reason for the check engine light)
Also updated my radio to the latest software (this was one of my minor complaints - Volume would continue to climb or drop to 0 after you released the knob)
its a Jeep Thang??

Sponsored

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update: I have been putting a Trickle Charger to the batteries, over the weekends, every once in a while, and that seemed to take care of the issue. Now, it doesnt help at all. I can charge it fully, and drive long distances, without the ESS Disabled Charging Battery message staying on. I dont want to roll the dice and get stranded, so, in to the dealership it goes. Along with a few more warranty issues.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Especially since COVID, my 3.6L JL Sahara has gotten little mileage.

The mileage it does get is in short trips.

I have, very early in its ownership, plugged it into a trickle charger when parked at home and have no problem with ESS engaging if I want it to--like/dislike of ESS being a separate issue.

If I don't trickle charge, in a day or two ESS won't engage.

This said, is what I am experiencing more likely indicative of the 3.6L JL's behavior for short trip infrequent use owners or because of an underlying problem a dealer should investigate?

Thanks.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Especially since COVID, my 3.6L JL Sahara has gotten little mileage.

The mileage it does get is in short trips.

I have, very early in its ownership, plugged it into a trickle charger when parked at home and have no problem with ESS engaging if I want it to--like/dislike of ESS being a separate issue.

If I don't trickle charge, in a day or two ESS won't engage.

This said, is what I am experiencing more likely indicative of the 3.6L JL's behavior for short trip infrequent use owners or because of an underlying problem a dealer should investigate?

Thanks.

I thought this too, but, with the latest round of Trickle Charging, this didn't even help. So, into the dealership it went, and hopefully the issue gets fixed. I will see tomorrow, hopefully.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I'd also be curious to know if owners with the optional Trailer-Tow and Heavy-Duty Electrical group, featuring among other things most notable to the discussion here, a 240 amp alternator and 700 amp battery, also find such trickle charging a necessary step to ensure that ESS can engage (i.e. give the driver the choice to engage it or not,) or if such owners must also routinely trickle charge to preserve ESS functionality.

Yes--I get that for many owners ESS not engaging is more seen as a feature than liability. My issue is one of such failure to for ESS to engage possibly reflecting broader problems in design of the vehicle and/or the failure of components within it, whose failure ultimately manifests itself as a failure for ESS to engage without the added trickle charging.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd also be curious to know if owners with the optional Trailer-Tow and Heavy-Duty Electrical group, featuring among other things most notable to the discussion here, a 240 amp alternator and 700 amp battery, also find such trickle charging a necessary step to ensure that ESS can engage (i.e. give the driver the choice to engage it or not,) or if such owners must also routinely trickle charge to preserve ESS functionality.

Yes--I get that for many owners ESS not engaging is more seen as a feature than liability. My issue is one of such failure to for ESS to engage possibly reflecting broader problems in design of the vehicle and/or the failure of components within it, whose failure ultimately manifests itself as a failure for ESS to engage without the added trickle charging.
I would be happy if the failure to engage with the ESS was the only issue, but apparently it leads to many other issues, like being stranded. The failure to fully charge, with a trickle charger meant the little battery was getting worse.
SO, my truck is now my daily driver, until a few issues are fixed, at the dealership. I kind of miss driving it every day. Diesel Trucks are just fun to drive.

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Just food for thought- bent pins on the wiring harness that connects the doors to the jeep can cause the ESS error, among other things seemingly unrelated to doors. You can see the pins bent out of shape on the jeep (male) side of the harness. You can fix them with tweezers or a small screwdriver. If youā€™ve taken your doors off lately itā€™s worth looking at.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just food for thought- bent pins on the wiring harness that connects the doors to the jeep can cause the ESS error, among other things seemingly unrelated to doors. You can see the pins bent out of shape on the jeep (male) side of the harness. You can fix them with tweezers or a small screwdriver. If youā€™ve taken your doors off lately itā€™s worth looking at.
Thanks, but the doors never came off.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Update: I have been putting a Trickle Charger to the batteries, over the weekends, every once in a while, and that seemed to take care of the issue. Now, it doesnt help at all. I can charge it fully, and drive long distances, without the ESS Disabled Charging Battery message staying on. I dont want to roll the dice and get stranded, so, in to the dealership it goes. Along with a few more warranty issues.
We're sorry to hear about this. If you need any additional assistance while working with your dealer, please send our team a private message.
Alex
Jeep Cares

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, good news. It seems the dealership might know what they are doing.
The ESS stopped working completely, even after lengthy trickle charging. I had been told by many it was probably the smaller battery going bad.
After being in the dealershil, having a few things done, I got it back, they said it was fixed.
They replaced the "Intelligent Battery Sensor(IBS)" # Sensor BA 0 8037155.
It still didnt work, after a couple of long drives. SO, I trickle charged the batteries overnight. . For 5 days, the system has now been working perfectly.
So far, so good. I hope this might help a few.

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update: 1 1/2 months later. All things are going well. Once and a while, I put the trickle charger on the batteries, because I mainly do short drives. ESS seems to be working fine, annoyingly so.
Sponsored