Sponsored

ESS Stopped working - No Fault Light or Anything...

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
If that is the issue, then it's not a big deal--IMO.
I have not been driving the Jeep that often since the pandemic and the stay at home order here in Chicago and so it is possible that the batteries aren't getting the charge they need. I am preparing for a long drive to Texas and so that should get the batteries all charged up.

Alternatively, perhaps I should hook the batteries up to something to keep them charged up...?
Many folks suggest a trickle charger/maintainer. If you have a garage (I don’t.... high rise resident) many folks recommend NOCO products.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
Many folks suggest a trickle charger/maintainer. If you have a garage (I don’t.... high rise resident) many folks recommend NOCO products.
I have seen that recommendation. I also leave in a condo building and my spot isn't near an outlet...

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Thanks For posting this.

here is my story:

took my Jeep in to dealer about 8 weeks ago.... 14.xV just about always (Dash gauge) asked the techs to check it out. They did and reported no problems with the batteries. Hmmm. Most of the time it stayed at 14.xV.

so I drive my Jeep 1000 miles straight — 16 hours (not kidding, moved to Colorado from Texas) a couple of weeks ago. Arrive at end of trip and battery gauge in dash says 12.xV..... ok, that certa9nly makes sense to me.

a couple of weeks have gone by and I have driven the Jeep around the city a bit every couple of days.... Likely less than 100 miles. battery gauge says 14.xV again.

I’m thinking that I need to have them take a look again. Thoughts?
I have a short daily commute and mine has been reading 14.5+ V except after long trips since I started monitoring the voltage over 18 months ago.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I have a short daily commute and mine has been reading 14.5+ V except after long trips since I started monitoring the voltage over 18 months ago.
THANK YOU for this Info. Sounds like it might be normal for a JL? I REALLY appreciate you providing this info!

Gillytickle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2.0 Turbo, 2" MOPAR lift
I haven't had any issues on my 2020 with 2.0 T ess with 3500 miles, I check the voltage periodically and it says 14-14.3. I turn off ess half the time.

Sponsored

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
How do I check the voltage while the engine is running?
Via the gauge cluster in the Jeep. If you have your digital display showing the M.P.H., arrow down one level, then left or right until you find the battery voltage reading.

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
Via the gauge cluster in the Jeep.
Thank you, followed by Doh! I already knew that! :facepalm:

My Jeep is almost 2 years old. It is winter here and I was parked in the mountains overnight. I got to about 0 degrees C overnight. In the morning the Auto Stop Start was not working. It has been fine since then.

If it happens again I will check the voltage thank you.

wolfdog

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Yamaha FJR1300, 2021 JTO, 2018 JLU Sahara
Occupation
Maritime Artisan, Mayflower II
The ESS died on our 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk over a year ago after warranty still out don't miss it and the big advantage is two MPG better gas mileage!! Our 2018 JLU works fine if one likes ESS!

Go Jeep!!!

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
So, for the past few weeks, I have noticed that the ESS simply isn't working on my 2018 JL.U. It just not working, I am not getting any warning lights or fault light or anything... It just as if ESS was not there. The battery levels are above 14V, seat belts on, hood closed... What other issues may cause ESS to quietly disable itself?
Thoughts?

Photo of Rhonda for attention!

IMG_0681.jpg
Battery is going out. It will take a little bit of time but my 2018 Sahara did this right before I traded it in. Using a multimeter, I checked the leads on the battery and they were siting at 11.5V. It barely would crank without using a booster. I bit the bullet and bought a new battery and traded it a week later. My ESS stopped working about a month before my battery went dead - FYI.

Sponsored

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
If that is the issue, then it's not a big deal--IMO.
I have not been driving the Jeep that often since the pandemic and the stay at home order here in Chicago and so it is possible that the batteries aren't getting the charge they need. I am preparing for a long drive to Texas and so that should get the batteries all charged up.

Alternatively, perhaps I should hook the batteries up to something to keep them charged up...?
I carry one of these in the back storage bin:

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-GB70-Ul...7136&keywords=noco+gb70&qid=1624581103&sr=8-3

This little thing is a life saver.

Sierra Nevada

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red Rubi JL Unlimited
Jeep dealer has replaced both batteries in my 2018 JLUR 2 times so far. First time, had problems starting the engine. Jeep replaced both batteries when I could no longer start the engine without a jump. Second time, I read this thread and check to see if ESS was working ... it was not ... so both batteries were replaced, again.

BTW, ESS was not working for about a year (guess) the first time I had the batteries replaced. ESS was not working for about 6 months or so the second time. It's difficult to remember when ESS was not working. Dealer said there was no software or hardware solution so far, other than replacing both batteries. Both replacements were covered under warranty.

If ESS is not working, you may eventually end up having to jump your Jeep to get it to the dealer. lol.

YenBoon

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I wish my ESS would stop working without any dash lights coming on or anything...
Sponsored