Sponsored

ESS Stopped working - No Fault Light or Anything...

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
So, for the past few weeks, I have noticed that the ESS simply isn't working on my 2018 JL.U. It just not working, I am not getting any warning lights or fault light or anything... It just as if ESS was not there. The battery levels are above 14V, seat belts on, hood closed... What other issues may cause ESS to quietly disable itself?
Thoughts?

Photo of Rhonda for attention!

Jeep Wrangler JL ESS Stopped working - No Fault Light or Anything... IMG_0681
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Are there any stored messages?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase

Bob Burd

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snwburd.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I just hope this is not a symptom of a bigger problem lurking...
Yes, it may be just that, possibly a weak battery. If your voltage is above 14V all the time when the engine is running, it means your alternator is working overtime trying to charge it. Get a load tester and check the batteries separately. You don't have to remove either battery to do so, but you have to disconnect the negative cables to do them independently.

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, it may be just that, possibly a weak battery. If your voltage is above 14V all the time when the engine is running, it means your alternator is working overtime trying to charge it. Get a load tester and check the batteries separately. You don't have to remove either battery to do so, but you have to disconnect the negative cables to do them independently.
I was thinking to do just that. Stay tuned...

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
OP, you don’t get the “ESS not ready - battery charging“ message?

Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Thanks For posting this.

here is my story:

took my Jeep in to dealer about 8 weeks ago.... 14.xV just about always (Dash gauge) asked the techs to check it out. They did and reported no problems with the batteries. Hmmm. Most of the time it stayed at 14.xV.

so I drive my Jeep 1000 miles straight — 16 hours (not kidding, moved to Colorado from Texas) a couple of weeks ago. Arrive at end of trip and battery gauge in dash says 12.xV..... ok, that certa9nly makes sense to me.

a couple of weeks have gone by and I have driven the Jeep around the city a bit every couple of days.... Likely less than 100 miles. battery gauge says 14.xV again.

I’m thinking that I need to have them take a look again. Thoughts?

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks For posting this.

here is my story:

took my Jeep in to dealer about 8 weeks ago.... 14.xV just about always (Dash gauge) asked the techs to check it out. They did and reported no problems with the batteries. Hmmm. Most of the time it stayed at 14.xV.

so I drive my Jeep 1000 miles straight — 16 hours (not kidding, moved to Colorado from Texas) a couple of weeks ago. Arrive at end of trip and battery gauge in dash says 12.xV..... ok, that certa9nly makes sense to me.

a couple of weeks have gone by and I have driven the Jeep around the city a bit every couple of days.... Likely less than 100 miles. battery gauge says 14.xV again.

I’m thinking that I need to have them take a look again. Thoughts?
If that is the issue, then it's not a big deal--IMO.
I have not been driving the Jeep that often since the pandemic and the stay at home order here in Chicago and so it is possible that the batteries aren't getting the charge they need. I am preparing for a long drive to Texas and so that should get the batteries all charged up.

Alternatively, perhaps I should hook the batteries up to something to keep them charged up...?

Jeep142

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL
Hi Chicago

I had a similar issue with my 2019 JLU. It started with the ESS not working, then progressed over the next few weeks to multiple electrical issues. The dealership replaced the main battery and I have had ZERO issues since then. Good luck...

OP
OP
Onward4x4

Onward4x4

First Name
Nima
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.onward4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Occupation
Traveler
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Chicago

I had a similar issue with my 2019 JLU. It started with the ESS not working, then progressed over the next few weeks to multiple electrical issues. The dealership replaced the main battery and I have had ZERO issues since then. Good luck...
Yeah, that happened to me a few months back where I got the light warning in the dash about the ESS not working and the dealer replaced the aux battery... This one is different, No warning light.
Sponsored