OP

JohnnyB

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Firecracker Red,
I am skeptical that a low charge on the auxillary battery would cause the ESS page to not display in the center dash cluster.

and cheers to you too!

I always wanted to say that but, in the states, people look at you a little funny when you do :)

edit: I just checked my users manual (the 600+ page manual), while some of the menus in the instrument cluster can be hidden (I didn't know that), the Stop/Start menu is not one of them. the manual also states the "StopStart" menu is only shown "if equipped".
Thanks for the info! I agree with you regarding the aux battery having any effect on the menu option - there are no tell-tale lights to indicate anything about ESS. I’ve got a trip planned Saturday which should put around 300 miles on it so we shall see if that makes any difference?!

BTW, it’s the same over here if you say ‘have a nice day’!
Sponsored

dajuicejml

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLRU
I am actually having the same issue. I've got an 18 JLRU and have been getting a message at startup for the past several months that my AUX switches were unavailable because the batteries were charging. Didn't really think much about it until one day last week I realized my ESS also hasn't caught my attention in quite some time. I thought I might have just gotten use to it, but sure enough, on the instrument cluster info screen, I'm getting the message "Start/Stop not ready-Battery Charging" I drive my Jeep daily and have about 21k miles on it now, so I'm not sure if I've got an issue with my battery or what? There is a section in my menu options on my instrument cluster for Start Stop specifically, so not sure why the OP would not have one as well. Any help appreciated.

OP
OP

JohnnyB

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am actually having the same issue. I've got an 18 JLRU and have been getting a message at startup for the past several months that my AUX switches were unavailable because the batteries were charging. Didn't really think much about it until one day last week I realized my ESS also hasn't caught my attention in quite some time. I thought I might have just gotten use to it, but sure enough, on the instrument cluster info screen, I'm getting the message "Start/Stop not ready-Battery Charging" I drive my Jeep daily and have about 21k miles on it now, so I'm not sure if I've got an issue with my battery or what? There is a section in my menu options on my instrument cluster for Start Stop specifically, so not sure why the OP would not have one as well. Any help appreciated.
Hello, I'm not sure that I'm going to be able to help with this :-( My JLUR doesn't appear to have the menu option regarding ESS, unlike yours? A few members on this side of the pond seem to have experienced issues with the AUX battery which causes issues with the ESS - maybe this could be the cause of your ESS problem? I'm a complete newbie with regard to jeeps! Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Cheers

Vermillion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Also have an 18 JLRU and I had the same issue where I noticed ESS stopped working and then going through the console noticed I was permanently getting a "Charging" message as the reason why.

I took it to the dealership and they said the Aux battery was low in December. They asked how I drove it and I explained to them I put decent mileage on it, not enough for the alt battery to never charge. So they did a trickle charge (they did it overnight, so another day in the shop) and they said that fixed it. As I drove it off the lot I noticed that the charge message was already back. So I gave it a day or two and then called up and got another appointment. This time they did a more thorough test of the battery and found that it had gone bad (less than 2 years in). They replaced it and everything has been working fine for the last month or so... Until this week when I noticed it wasn't working again for the same reason. I'll see what they say this time. Luckily its still under basic warranty...

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.2 MultiJet Diesel
It seems as though the error message configuration differs between countries or perhaps between vehicles/engines.

My UK 18MY Rubicon 2.2 diesel has had a long standing fault on the ESS system. If trickle charged, it will work for a few days then stops.

I have only seen the AUX Switch not working message on a handful of times and I've never seen a message about the Stop/Start not being ready. I have checked all the console screens and I have all console display panel options set.

After numerous visits to dealers to get it fixed, they have finally agreed to replace the Aux battery after it packed up again less than a week after the last visit. The dealer ordered the battery mid December. Latest delivery estimate is 1st week February. Completely unacceptable in my opinion that it takes nearly 2 months to get a battery. Perhaps so many are failing that they had underestimated the stock holding level.

This weekend the engine warning light came on. My diagnostic tool says P2471. This relates to the exhaust gas temperature sensor.
So back to the dealers again.

Last year I had the alarm sensors replaced twice due to false alarming. And the parking sensor module replaced because the wrong one had been fitted in the factory.

On one occasion I asked them a week in advance to do the annual service whilst they had the vehicle for other work.
Half way through the day they called me to say they couldn't do the service as they hadn't got an oil filter. The filters were also on back order with a 2 week leadtime. Again, unacceptable that service parts aren't readily available.

In a 12 month period it has been in the dealers for over 5 weeks on 6 or 7 occasions to get these issues fixed. Or not.
It actually makes my previous vehicle, a Land Rover Defender, seem positively reliable.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JohnnyB

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It seems as though the error message configuration differs between countries or perhaps between vehicles/engines.

My UK 18MY Rubicon 2.2 diesel has had a long standing fault on the ESS system. If trickle charged, it will work for a few days then stops.

I have only seen the AUX Switch not working message on a handful of times and I've never seen a message about the Stop/Start not being ready. I have checked all the console screens and I have all console display panel options set.

After numerous visits to dealers to get it fixed, they have finally agreed to replace the Aux battery after it packed up again less than a week after the last visit. The dealer ordered the battery mid December. Latest delivery estimate is 1st week February. Completely unacceptable in my opinion that it takes nearly 2 months to get a battery. Perhaps so many are failing that they had underestimated the stock holding level.

This weekend the engine warning light came on. My diagnostic tool says P2471. This relates to the exhaust gas temperature sensor.
So back to the dealers again.

Last year I had the alarm sensors replaced twice due to false alarming. And the parking sensor module replaced because the wrong one had been fitted in the factory.

On one occasion I asked them a week in advance to do the annual service whilst they had the vehicle for other work.
Half way through the day they called me to say they couldn't do the service as they hadn't got an oil filter. The filters were also on back order with a 2 week leadtime. Again, unacceptable that service parts aren't readily available.

In a 12 month period it has been in the dealers for over 5 weeks on 6 or 7 occasions to get these issues fixed. Or not.
It actually makes my previous vehicle, a Land Rover Defender, seem positively reliable.

Evening,

I've just seen your latest post regarding ESS, so fingers crossed it's all sorted now!

I agree with you regarding the fantastic information sharing on this forum, from all corners of the globe!

It helped me convince dealership that my MY20 did have ESS and that my problems were as a result of a 'duff' AUX battery. In fact, since taking delivery of it December 2019, I've had to jump start it 3 times cos of a flat battery, and it's only February!! To cut a long and annoying story short, I had to show them my build sheet which clearly states ESS is fitted. They then booked it in to inspect, only to declare that both batteries have failed 'load' test! The main battery should be delivered tomorrow, and the AUX Thursday 20th February?! I'll keep you posted!

rant over!! :)

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lets hope they get it sorted quickly for you JohnnyB. Please let us know how you get on.

If things don't improve, we may end up having to form a convoy and drive en mass to Jeep's UK HQ to protest !!!

OP
OP

JohnnyB

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lets hope they get it sorted quickly for you JohnnyB. Please let us know how you get on.

If things don't improve, we may end up having to form a convoy and drive en mass to Jeep's UK HQ to protest !!!

:rock::like: "We got ourselves a convoy"!!
I'll defo be up for that! Break a break good buddy!

UKJeep2018

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Wrangler Sahara
I never get any messages on my dashboard regarding ESS as to whether it’s ready or not. I always thought that was a thing exclusive to those with the 48v mild hybrid system.

Only had the occasional “Service Stop/start System” where it doesn’t work and that’s it. other times it works perfectly.

OP
OP

JohnnyB

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I never get any messages on my dashboard regarding ESS as to whether it’s ready or not. I always thought that was a thing exclusive to those with the 48v mild hybrid system.

Only had the occasional “Service Stop/start System” where it doesn’t work and that’s it. other times it works perfectly.

Thanks for the information. I assumed (incorrectly)that the ESS disable/enable switch would present a message in the cluster like the parking sensors do? But apparently not!

I have just picked up my JLUR from the dealership with two new batteries installed and I'm happy to report that ESS is now functioning! I am a 'happy chappy' again!!

PS I checked on my temperature sensor, and it was displaying 7 deg C

PPS Thanks again to everyone who helped by sharing information. As it is my first JEEP, it helped me get the message across to the dealership without appearing clueless - well, less so!!

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hopefully yours will continue working. A week into my replacement aux battery and mine has stopped working again ☹
Sponsored