First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Firecracker Red,
Hello Ladies & Gents,

Just an update on my MY20 Rubicon!

What with man-flu and work, I've not accrued many miles yet (350) and its nearly been a month since taking ownership of it - excuses, excuses I know!
I'm still 'over the moon' with my purchase, although the one thing that I haven't been able to figure out up and 'til now is the Electronic Start/Stop system? To cut a long story short, there is no menu option for the ESS on the dashboard cluster, and I haven't seen it work at all, even though there is an enable/disable button that illuminates when pressed! I contacted my dealership about two weeks ago regarding this matter and have just received an email stating that according to Jeep Technical' and a Master Tech, they believe that it has been dropped from the options on the vehicle. I know a lot of people stateside would be grateful of this, and if their experiences are anything to go by, I might be too! Just thought I'd share this with the forum, particularly UK customers waiting for a MY20! If anyone does know any different, then please feel free to correct me.

PS I can't seem to stop buying accessories from Quadratec now!!
Cheers
Sponsored

Plasmadaddy

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Overland. 2019 Harley Davidson CVO Road Glide.
As far as I'm aware there was never a menu option for the start stop system.
The only way of disabling is physically using the button or using a programmer.
Mine works every time I drive even in the really cold temps we've had the past couple of days so not sure why you've never experienced it?

UK Overland btw!

Howi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2019
Strange! Option wouldnā€™t be dropped yet leave the button.

mine took a few miles to start working, decent trips and now itā€™s fine

OP
OP

JohnnyB

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Strange! Option wouldnā€™t be dropped yet leave the button.

mine took a few miles to start working, decent trips and now itā€™s fine

Thanks for the information! I suppose it could be that I've just not done a long enough trip yet for it to kick in? I thought it strange to keep the button if the option had been removed.

OP
OP

JohnnyB

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As far as I'm aware there was never a menu option for the start stop system.
The only way of disabling is physically using the button or using a programmer.
Mine works every time I drive even in the really cold temps we've had the past couple of days so not sure why you've never experienced it?

UK Overland btw!

Thanks for the reply.

This is my first jeep, so only going by the user manual regarding the menu option! It might be that I've not covered enough miles yet, so will get driving and see what happens!
Cheers

Sponsored

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
I doubt the ESS has been dropped. Itā€™s more likely that there isnā€™t enough charge in your auxiliary battery due to your relatively low mileage. In these circumstances the ESS wonā€™t operate.

The auxiliary batteries have been known to fail and one of the indicators is the ESS failing to function...if this happens the ESS light is permanently displayed on the dash and at start up you get a message saying ā€˜service stop/startā€™ or something similar. I presume youā€™re not seeing these?

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
When I scroll through the console screens on my sport, one of the screens shows ESS status and what, if anything, is preventing ESS from functioning. "heating vehicle", "charging battery", etc.

OP
OP

JohnnyB

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I doubt the ESS has been dropped. Itā€™s more likely that there isnā€™t enough charge in your auxiliary battery due to your relatively low mileage. In these circumstances the ESS wonā€™t operate.

The auxiliary batteries have been known to fail and one of the indicators is the ESS failing to function...if this happens the ESS light is permanently displayed on the dash and at start up you get a message saying ā€˜service stop/startā€™ or something similar. I presume youā€™re not seeing these?
Evening,

Thanks for the information. I'm not seeing anything relating to ESS(lights, messages etc). The only message that I've occasionally seen on the dash is 'AUX switches not available - battery charging'? I'm going to give it a good run out on Saturday and see if that kicks it into life!
Cheers

OP
OP

JohnnyB

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I scroll through the console screens on my sport, one of the screens shows ESS status and what, if anything, is preventing ESS from functioning. "heating vehicle", "charging battery", etc.
Hello, I do not seem to have that option on my Rubicon. According to the user manual the ESS menu option should be the one after 'Trip info' but mine isn't there? A few forum members have mentioned that it might be due to my low mileage and the AUX battery not having enough charge, so a drive out will be on the cards Saturday!
Cheers

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Evening,

Thanks for the information. I'm not seeing anything relating to ESS(lights, messages etc). The only message that I've occasionally seen on the dash is 'AUX switches not available - battery charging'? I'm going to give it a good run out on Saturday and see if that kicks it into life!
Cheers
Yes I suspect the other ā€™battery chargingā€™ message is confirming our suspicions so hopefully a bit of use will bring the ESS back to life and all will be good. Let us know how you get on.

Sponsored

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Hello, I do not seem to have that option on my Rubicon. According to the user manual the ESS menu option should be the one after 'Trip info' but mine isn't there? A few forum members have mentioned that it might be due to my low mileage and the AUX battery not having enough charge, so a drive out will be on the cards Saturday!
Cheers
If your cluster behaves anything like the sport, you may have to enable the ESS page as one of your favorites in the screen setup menu.

OP
OP

JohnnyB

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If your cluster behaves anything like the sport, you may have to enable the ESS page as one of your favorites in the screen setup menu.
Iā€™ve had a quick look at the screen setup options but I canā€™t see anything relating to ESS? Iā€™ll have another look in the morning just in case ā€˜I canā€™t see for lookingā€™ so to speak!
Cheers again.

OP
OP

JohnnyB

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
what engine do you have? 2.0L Turbo petrol, 3.6L petrol or 3.0L diesel?
I have the 2.0L Turbo petrol engine. Itā€™s quite possible that it just hasnā€™t been used enough to charge the AUX battery. Quite a few members have suggested this as a possible cause so Iā€™ll get some more miles on it and report back!
Cheers for the reply

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
I am skeptical that a low charge on the auxillary battery would cause the ESS page to not display in the center dash cluster.

and cheers to you too!

I always wanted to say that but, in the states, people look at you a little funny when you do :)

edit: I just checked my users manual (the 600+ page manual), while some of the menus in the instrument cluster can be hidden (I didn't know that), the Stop/Start menu is not one of them. the manual also states the "StopStart" menu is only shown "if equipped".
Sponsored

Last edited: