ESS question

devicemanager

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR
I am new to ESS. A couple of times while at a light ESS kicked in, but it acted like the engine was completely off and was starting from a powered off state as if I was pressing the start button. Is that normal behavior?
Sponsored

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
I am new to ESS. A couple of times while at a light ESS kicked in, but it acted like the engine was completely off and was starting from a powered off state as if I was pressing the start button. Is that normal behavior?
Yes ESS shuts off the engine. Your accessories (heat/air, radoi etc) should stay on.

OP
OP
devicemanager

devicemanager

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR
Yes, I realize it shuts off the engine. However ESS doesn't crank the starter each time like it does when you are in an OFF state. That's what my question is based on since it has only happened a few times. Honestly it acted the same as if the ignition was on Accessory and then you pressed Start so that it cranked the starter a couple of times.

crashclay

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon
Yes, I realize it shuts off the engine. However ESS doesn't crank the starter each time like it does when you are in an OFF state. That's what my question is based on since it has only happened a few times. Honestly it acted the same as if the ignition was on Accessory and then you pressed Start so that it cranked the starter a couple of times.
I think that's probably the best description of the behavior (at least as I've experienced) of ESS. If it's not disabled, it'll kill the engine and leave everything else running (like in ACC). Then when you let off the brake, or engage the clutch, it'll turn over the engine.

crbrenny

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Sting Grey; 2021 JLR Gecko
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I think its supposed to trigger the starter when you resume driving. I have disabled mine though so I may be mis-remembering.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
ESS does in fact crank the starter on every stop/start event, same exact as cold starts. It's only on the BSG/e-torque eqipted engines that only use the starter motor for cold starts. The Belt Start Generator handles stop/start events.