ESS opinion

• Total voters

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Love our new JL except for the ESS function, really noticeable, not needed on a vehicle of this type and seems to involve many components that could effect their long term reliability. Cost savings vs. potential problems seem to be minimal at best and horrific if things go awry.
Sponsored

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
Like so many other things, I use the Tazer to turn it off! Well worth the money especially if you want to adjust for different size tires, and TPMS.

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Get used to it, boys and girls. It's becoming standard on most vehicles, not just Jeep.
Would be interesting to see what the long term savings would be in emissions & mpg vs. the cost of the extra parts for the system, extra parts needing to be replaced over time, extra costs for diagnostics/repair. Not to mention any serious accidents caused by a stalled vehicle in busy traffic.

I have serious doubts anything is being reduced as I'm sure manufacturing the extra battery packs isn't something "green friendly" but ???

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Would be interesting to see what the long term savings would be in emissions & mpg vs. the cost of the extra parts for the system, extra parts needing to be replaced over time, extra costs for diagnostics/repair. Not to mention any serious accidents caused by a stalled vehicle in busy traffic.

I have serious doubts anything is being reduced as I'm sure manufacturing the extra battery packs isn't something "green friendly" but ???
Seems to make a decent enough difference in fuel used if you have a lot of city driving to do. If not then those people really won't see much of a difference.

Have there been any actual instances where ESS was the actual cause of an accident? Seems like there would be a whole lot of that in the news if it was an actual problem. There are a whole lot more people out there stalling their manual transmissions than ESS failing to restart the engine I believe.

Sponsored

OP
OP
blnewt

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
This stuff is all new to me, just throwing that scenario out there. Being a mechanical system controlled by various ECU parameters I'm sure there's potential for things to go awry.

And yeah, I could see being in log jam traffic on a regular basis that that would show some savings, just wondering what the net gains would be over possible long term issues??

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
This stuff is all new to me, just throwing that scenario out there. Being a mechanical system controlled by various ECU parameters I'm sure there's potential for things to go awry.

And yeah, I could see being in log jam traffic on a regular basis that that would show some savings, just wondering what the net gains would be over possible long term issues??
This is my first Vehicle with ESS so Its all new to me as well. I learned to use it effectively so its a help to me, but its only maybe 2-3 times a day that I'm actually at a stop that long though.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I don't have to worry about traffic, or gas mileage--so

Every time I "PUSH THE START BUTTON, I ALSO PUSH THE ESS BUTTON"--same hand, same time-

W.E.

JIMBO

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
What I’d like to see is the design parameters for the parts that are involved in the stop/start system. Provided that the starter and batteries are designed for such an application, it’s a great system. Then, even if you turn it off, you’re getting the benefit of having a more durable starter.

However, I would not doubt that it’s life expectancy is somewhere just barely outside of warranty coverage.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What I’d like to see is the design parameters for the parts that are involved in the stop/start system. Provided that the starter and batteries are designed for such an application, it’s a great system. Then, even if you turn it off, you’re getting the benefit of having a more durable starter.

However, I would not doubt that it’s life expectancy is somewhere just barely outside of warranty coverage.
heh, All we've been told is its a heavy duty starter. It certainly starts the engine faster than my previous V6 vehicles, but that's all I can observe.

Sponsored

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
I see no issue with it. If it saves me a gallon of fuel a year is a gallon saved. Less smog no matter how little is good.
And this is old Tech stop using the starter and battery as a reason to dislike it. My Range Rover has it 5 years no issue BMW 1 year old no issues. That is just a cop-out.

Joeymon1

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
So far, no problems. Try not to think about it.
I live in the country and it really doesn't doesn't activate much. If I think about it I worry.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
My favorite part of the ESS is when I pull up to a taco bell drive through, the engine cuts off so I can hear. Very convenient.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
According to the poll, half of the responders hate the ESS. Guess that puts me in the minority of people who like it. I love the fact that my Rubi will get 22 mpg CITY. The ESS contributes to that as well as the 2.0 mild hybrid system. To me the ESS & e-torque assist are one and the same, though arguably different systems. I got the lifetime warranty with this one so I think most major troubles will be covered. In other vehicles I would watch in despair as the MPG's dropped at long stop lights. Ok, maybe despair might be too strong a word, but in any event now I don't care. Every now and then I deactivate the ESS, only to find myself turning it back on. Plus like what mwilk012 said it's really nice at the drive through :)

JeepDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2D Sport, V6, Manual Transmission
Doesn’t bother me at all. With a manual transmission you get to decide if you want to use it or not by what you do with the clutch pedal.
Sponsored