Sponsored

ESS not ready...charging

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Thus far, the main battery appears to be fine, and the ESS absence just started a week ago. I talked to the dealership, and they said bring it for a check and possible replacement. I'm still way inside warranty. They say replacing the aux battery is a 4-5 hour job...is that possible?
@Mikeoso

FCA recommends... tells the techs.... the passenger side fender liner is to be peeled back to access the Aux battery. That is the way most techs do the deed.

A few Techs, if the Service Manager does not gripe, will pull the whole fender flare which is easier/faster..

Anyway, either way, it can be done in an hour or so.... accessing the Aux battery and swapping it out. Even this 72 yo fruck, has done it in a bit over an hour and out in the rain to boot. 8-)

Ask that they separate out the batteries and test BOTH and replace as needed... My goal would be for replacement of both.

Regardless, it will be covered under warranty so don't fret the time frame..
Sponsored

OP
OP
Mikeoso

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
I'm listening to Rhinebeck and Jebiruph, and hearing that this is likely normal behaviour exacerbated by my driving habits and low temps. I took the fob out of the jeep, and will get the batteries looked at by the dealer when the weather stops being stupid or if I get any warning messages first. I own a trickle charger/jump starter, but I dont see any need to use it regularly at this point.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I'm listening to Rhinebeck and Jebiruph, and hearing that this is likely normal behaviour exacerbated by my driving habits and low temps. I took the fob out of the jeep, and will get the batteries looked at by the dealer when the weather stops being stupid or if I get any warning messages first. I own a trickle charger/jump starter, but I dont see any need to use it regularly at this point.
Typically scheduling 4 -5 hours to change a battery includes the time needed to make sure it's fully charged before testing. If that's the case, you might be able to reduce that time by charging it at home before the trip to the dealer.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
It isn't normal.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
It isn't normal.
Yup... were it me, I would hook up to a battery tender/maintainer, asap and see if it remedied the problem and if it did not, I'd have it at the dealer..., if still under warranty so they could test and replace battery(s) as needed.

There is a small chance it is driving habits and the cold but with ESS, awol for 3 weeks.... well, battery(s) are probably not healthy.

obrianmcc

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Sport S
2020 with Start Stop Not Ready, battery Charging ....

I opted to install the new batteries this weekend vs play the back and forth dealer game ... and it was very straight forward. Yes the aux battery is buried under the PCM, but it is very easy to get to. Some recommendations are to access through the wheel well, but I've been in both ways and I prefer the top down method.

After install of the new batteries the system did not immediately work, in fact the battery charging message persisted making me think the issue might be elsewhere. However, after driving around for about 30 min the system started to work normally.

Assuming it was the AUX battery giving me grief I pulled out my battery tester. What I found was a starter battery testing at 12.6v, 629 CCA, and 4+ Impedance ... while the AUX battery tested 12.44v, 230 CCA, and 10+ impedance. Also to note that you can check the system if you switch the ignition to Aux (not start) and cycle through your vehicle settings to battery voltage. this will give you a static reading. If done so while the vehicle is running it will give you an active reading as being fed by your alternator.

My conclusion was that it is indeed my Aux battery ... the 12.44v is low as with the impedance being slightly high. Also while checking the system static voltage I was previously at 12.2v and then back up to 12.7v with the installation of new batteries.

While an ESS system can stop working for various reasons ... I was confident that my system was charging. If my system would not have reset ... my next step would have been to look at the power control relay between the two parallel batteries.

Pcljl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Hi: The dealer has already replaced my secondary battery (about 2 years ago), but the message about not charging just came back. I'd like to replace it myself. Where did you buy a secondary battery? Could you post the link? Thanks!

2020 with Start Stop Not Ready, battery Charging ....

I opted to install the new batteries this weekend vs play the back and forth dealer game ... and it was very straight forward. Yes the aux battery is buried under the PCM, but it is very easy to get to. Some recommendations are to access through the wheel well, but I've been in both ways and I prefer the top down method.

After install of the new batteries the system did not immediately work, in fact the battery charging message persisted making me think the issue might be elsewhere. However, after driving around for about 30 min the system started to work normally.

Assuming it was the AUX battery giving me grief I pulled out my battery tester. What I found was a starter battery testing at 12.6v, 629 CCA, and 4+ Impedance ... while the AUX battery tested 12.44v, 230 CCA, and 10+ impedance. Also to note that you can check the system if you switch the ignition to Aux (not start) and cycle through your vehicle settings to battery voltage. this will give you a static reading. If done so while the vehicle is running it will give you an active reading as being fed by your alternator.

My conclusion was that it is indeed my Aux battery ... the 12.44v is low as with the impedance being slightly high. Also while checking the system static voltage I was previously at 12.2v and then back up to 12.7v with the installation of new batteries.

While an ESS system can stop working for various reasons ... I was confident that my system was charging. If my system would not have reset ... my next step would have been to look at the power control relay between the two parallel batteries.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Hi: The dealer has already replaced my secondary battery (about 2 years ago), but the message about not charging just came back. I'd like to replace it myself. Where did you buy a secondary battery? Could you post the link? Thanks!
The battery charging message refers to the main battery. Your batteries may just need charged and I would get them load tested before replacing either one.
Sponsored