Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Ok, It's likely been done to death, but my search (yes, I did) didnt quite find this specific case. My '19 Sport 3.6 gets driven maybe once a week. 18 months old, has 5300 miles on the clock. It always starts, but lately, last 2 or 3 weeks, no ESS. Says "not ready, battery charging". Today, I had it on the highway for three hours, and it was still charging. Main batt readout hangs right around 14.6 or 14.8, has since I bought it in July of 2019. Temps have been frigid here, if that matters. I've done no mods at all. I do leave the fob in it all the time.

So...is this A. normal, B. my fault for leaving the fob, or C. a bad aux battery?
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Seems like a common issue.

From what I recall, causes ranged from a defective auxiliary battery, to a faulty wiring harness, to a faulty auxiliary battery charging system.

OP
OP
Mikeoso

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Oh, also....If I dont care about ESS, can I just forget about it?

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Ok, It's likely been done to death, but my search (yes, I did) didnt quite find this specific case. My '19 Sport 3.6 gets driven maybe once a week. 18 months old, has 5300 miles on the clock. It always starts, but lately, last 2 or 3 weeks, no ESS. Says "not ready, battery charging". Today, I had it on the highway for three hours, and it was still charging. Main batt readout hangs right around 14.6 or 14.8, has since I bought it in July of 2019. Temps have been frigid here, if that matters. I've done no mods at all. I do leave the fob in it all the time.

So...is this A. normal, B. my fault for leaving the fob, or C. a bad aux battery?
Big thread on this topic.
ESS Stopped Working. "Now fixed. Not expected cause." IBS(Intelligent Battery Sensor)

Have the dealer check the Intelligent Battery Sensor. It fixed my issue.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
This has been discussed over and over but to be to the point you have an issue, lots have dealt with the ESS battery dyeing and some have had issues with the IBS and even some wiring but the most common issues seem to be connected to the little battery, if it’s under warranty take it in and have it checked out if it’s not under warranty buy a good battery tender lot a NOCO 10 or similar and charge the batteries separately and see what happens but your lack of driving has a big effect on the batteries state of health

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
This has been discussed over and over but to be to the point you have an issue, lots have dealt with the ESS battery dyeing and some have had issues with the IBS and even some wiring but the most common issues seem to be connected to the little battery, if it’s under warranty take it in and have it checked out if it’s not under warranty buy a good battery tender lot a NOCO 10 or similar and charge the batteries separately and see what happens but your lack of driving has a big effect on the batteries state of health
For a JL/JLU/JT and it's stock batteries, I do not/ would not suggest, using a Noco 10 on it.... not with that little 12 Ah, 200CCA, Aux battery in the mix.

I know I trickle the Aux with a 1.25 amp battery tender and not a trickle charger that throws out...could throw out 10 amp. ... That would be nonsensical... Noco would not recommend use of a Noco 10 on the 12 Ah 200 CCA Aux battery but probably their 1 amp charger.

Now with the stock Main battery, a Noco 5 is more then adequate and Noco, undoubtedly would recommend it for the stock battery.

You guys running these aftermarket dual battery set-ups have to be careful what you spew. You either confuse these ESS related posts or tender up info that can be lets say unhealthy for the little Aux battery...

dave12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK, JL
Interesting information in here! Watching this thread because I have the same issue and it's not yet resolved! :movember: 😁

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh, also....If I dont care about ESS, can I just forget about it?
@Mikeoso

No, don't just "forget about it"..... unless you will be happy/pleased with a possible, no start situation in the fairly soon future....a situation, that will require you to have the vehicle flat bedded to the dealership.

You need to ascertain, soon, if your issue is related to a bad battery(s) or rather just to your driving / use habits, etc.. Also, yes, cold weather affects the battery(s) and could be contributing to your issue..

Don't leave the fob in the JL/JLU all the time. IF you need to leave it in there, place it in a Faraday Bag and take it out of the bag when you need to start/run the vehicle..

Were I you, I would immediately try using a battery tender to see if it changed the picture so to speak. No harm, no foul, little effort trying this now.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT

From my experience it's normal, but I wouldn't leave the fob in it as the may prevent some of the electronics from going to sleep. My voltage almost always reads as high as yours, even for long trips. Except that after a long trip, it will read lower for subsequent trips for a few days, then it's back to the mid 14s. Next time after a longish trip, turn it off and back on and see it it reads lower.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
For a JL/JLU/JT and it's stock batteries, I do not/ would not suggest, using a Noco 10 on it.... not with that little 12 Ah, 200CCA, Aux battery in the mix.

I know I trickle the Aux with a 1.25 amp battery tender and not a trickle charger that throws out...could throw out 10 amp. ... That would be nonsensical... Noco would not recommend use of a Noco 10 on the 12 Ah 200 CCA Aux battery but probably their 1 amp charger.

Now with the stock Main battery, a Noco 5 is more then adequate and Noco, undoubtedly would recommend it for the stock battery.

You guys running these aftermarket dual battery set-ups have to be careful what you spew. You either confuse these ESS related posts or tender up info that can be lets say unhealthy for the little Aux battery...

I have the BMK 12v 5amp smart charger. I couldnt be more happy with this one, and it cost $36, on Amazon. I plug it in, and forget about it. It's great when I leave town, or am on vacation, for weeks at a time.
I have had two "Battery Tenders" in the past. One designed for my truck, and one for my motorcycle. That was many years ago. They both overcharged, and "Boiled" the batteries. I sent one back because of it, and the replacement did the same thing. They cost me 3-4 batteries. After that, I would never trust another one of their products.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@Rhinebeck01 I will likely stay clear from this point forward of ESS battery related issues and let those more experienced like @Jebiruph run with it since he has been point on in regard to this subject matter since way back.

You are correct I run with a dual setup that is still partially stock in regard to using the IBS and voltage relay that dictates what the alternator does in regard to my two full size 64ah batteries along with some hardware that is related to my dual system that’s not stock , if someone were to choose to run any type of charger on the JL whether stock on not you best do your homework, yes all battery tenders/chargers do the same thing but they don’t all work correctly with the batteries one tends to use or what the factory uses.

After chatting on the phone with several battery makers like Full River, Odyssey, Northstar and a few others they all advised that before one buys a charger you need to match the battery size and charging curve and this gets overlooked by almost everyone I guarantee it, most like me just go on the advice of a personal friends suggestion or what the guy at the local Autozone or similar recommends and never give thought to taking to the battery maker to see what they recommend.

Case in point after talking with several battery makers along with several battery charger makers they all kinda chuckled when I said I was using a Deltran 1.25 amp charger they advised I was better to use that on a motorcycle on lawnmower and not a car as I would likely cause harm in the long run due to the batteries being undercharged as the batteries I currently run need to be on a conditional charge that keeps the voltage charge going to them at 14.5-14.7 for 5-7 hrs and the Deltran falls way short of that so with the money I invested on my dual setup I stopped using the Deltran on my new setup and purchased what the battery maker I went with recommended and have never looked back and so far I have zero issues.

One also has to understand that batteries start to degrade from the day they are made then we subject them to heavy demand along with huge temperature swings from heat to extreme cold and back again so yes I originally used a Deltran but not anymore so in closing and this will be my last bit of advice on this subject I suggest ANYONE WHO WANTS TO CHARGE BATTERIES TALK TO THE BATTERY MAKER AND NOT BUY JUST ANY CHARGER THAT SAYS IT CHARGES......

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the BMK 12v 5amp smart charger. I couldnt be more happy with this one, and it cost $36, on Amazon. I plug it in, and forget about it. It's great when I leave town, or am on vacation, for weeks at a time.
I have had two "Battery Tenders" in the past. One designed for my truck, and one for my motorcycle. That was many years ago. They both overcharged, and "Boiled" the batteries. I sent one back because of it, and the replacement did the same thing. They cost me 3-4 batteries. After that, I would never trust another one of their products.
@DaltonGang

I was using "battery tender" in a generic manner .... in reference to any battery tender, maintainer. I have no allegiance to any specific brand.

I do know though, that the Battery Tender brand is considered a very good offering by many.. I hear you had a bad experience with same but....

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
Mine does this all the time. The charging system is fine, the batteries are fine (although starting show some age). I just don't put a lot of miles on it, especially given current circumstances, and what miles I do put on it tend to be quick in-town trips to grab groceries or takeout. I do a lot of ESS cycles and not much highway time to get a good charge from the alternator.

I try to remember to keep it on a battery tender if it's going to sit for more than a couple of days, and that has worked fine for me so far. I suspect if I didn't keep it on the tender, the batteries would have run themselves dead by now.

OP
OP
Mikeoso

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Thus far, the main battery appears to be fine, and the ESS absence just started a week ago. I talked to the dealership, and they said bring it for a check and possible replacement. I'm still way inside warranty. They say replacing the aux battery is a 4-5 hour job...is that possible?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Rhinebeck01 I will likely stay clear from this point forward of ESS battery related issues and let those more experienced like @Jebiruph run with it since he has been point on in regard to this subject matter since way back.

You are correct I run with a dual setup that is still partially stock in regard to using the IBS and voltage relay that dictates what the alternator does in regard to my two full size 64ah batteries along with some hardware that is related to my dual system that’s not stock , if someone were to choose to run any type of charger on the JL whether stock on not you best do your homework, yes all battery tenders/chargers do the same thing but they don’t all work correctly with the batteries one tends to use or what the factory uses.

After chatting on the phone with several battery makers like Full River, Odyssey, Northstar and a few others they all advised that before one buys a charger you need to match the battery size and charging curve and this gets overlooked by almost everyone I guarantee it, most like me just go on the advice of a personal friends suggestion or what the guy at the local Autozone or similar recommends and never give thought to taking to the battery maker to see what they recommend.

Case in point after talking with several battery makers along with several battery charger makers they all kinda chuckled when I said I was using a Deltran 1.25 amp charger they advised I was better to use that on a motorcycle on lawnmower and not a car as I would likely cause harm in the long run due to the batteries being undercharged as the batteries I currently run need to be on a conditional charge that keeps the voltage charge going to them at 14.5-14.7 for 5-7 hrs and the Deltran falls way short of that so with the money I invested on my dual setup I stopped using the Deltran on my new setup and purchased what the battery maker I went with recommended and have never looked back and so far I have zero issues.

One also has to understand that batteries start to degrade from the day they are made then we subject them to heavy demand along with huge temperature swings from heat to extreme cold and back again so yes I originally used a Deltran but not anymore so in closing and this will be my last bit of advice on this subject I suggest ANYONE WHO WANTS TO CHARGE BATTERIES TALK TO THE BATTERY MAKER AND NOT BUY JUST ANY CHARGER THAT SAYS IT CHARGES......

Well, once again a long drawn out, confusing to most, post, from a guy with an aftermarket dual battery set-up.

YES, the aftermarket dual battery guy, with the beefy batteries, can/will benefit from a high end, high amp output battery tender, maintainer... this is a given... daaaah......

MOST.... the majority here, are talking the stock dual battery set-up.

Most here would not even consider dropping $2000+ for an aftermarket dual battery set-up.

Unfortunately, you don't clearly point out in your posts, that, the same high amp output battery tender , that shines for you lets say, can raise utter havoc with the little 12 Ah 200 CCA. You don't point that but go on and on about ....

In closing guys/gals need to know what is best in regard to charging maintaining their stock dual battery set-up. Reality is, for that, they will do just fine with a little 1.25 amp battery tender, maintainer.. (most any decent brand battery tender, maintainer..

Enough said on this.

Sponsored