Sponsored

ESS Not Ready/Cabin Heating or Cooling

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Gator Gladiator Sport S, '22 Gobi JLR
Hey guys.

I've not really had my ESS kick in yet except twice 1 day since I've owned it (10 days now). In my JT as long as the battery has a decent charge it will always stop when I want it to. Now my JLR seems to never want to because it says I'm heating/cooling the cabin. My blower is on (LO) but I don't really use AC. Even my JT would shut off with AC on until it felt the cabin was warming too much them the engine would kick back on for the compressor.

Is there any way to set this to where it will come more? It should have a good charge on it as I drove ~300+ miles from Gupton back to my house 10 days ago. I've got ~ 450 miles on it now and even today driving it about 30 miles in warm weather each way at work it still hasn't kicked on. I think the only time it shut off at a light was when the temp outside was ~60* (LO setting).
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

You may have bad main and aux batteries. Have both load tested and replaced if need be.

OP
OP
Sazabi19

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You may have bad main and aux batteries. Have both load tested and replaced if need be.
I had the aux replaced in my JT because it never would, but that 1 only ever said Not Ready. This 1 keeps saying cabin heating/cooling.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I had the aux replaced in my JT because it never would, but that 1 only ever said Not Ready. This 1 keeps saying cabin heating/cooling.
Bad/failing batteries cause all types of weird issues. Have them both checked.

shindleria235

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
I'm not sure what counts as 'Low,' but I rarely run the actual A/C unless going 45+ MPH. That said, I do almost always have the air/blowers on between '10 o'clock' and 'noon' on the physical dial, so probably in the Low-Med range. Temp still set at the 'coldest' it'll go without automatically gaining A/C.
Which is all to say, ESS engages most of the time for me, as long as I'm not past noon or 1 o'clock on the blowers. A/C definitely pulls the engine on until temp is reached, which this time of year means almost always on. The algorithm also seems to favor leaving the engine on v. returning to ESS if the demand triggered the engine coming back on. So, I tend to leave the blowers at the 'max' level that still allows for ESS versus me being uncomfortably sweaty while I sit at the stoplight. ;)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sazabi19

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure what counts as 'Low,' but I rarely run the actual A/C unless going 45+ MPH. That said, I do almost always have the air/blowers on between '10 o'clock' and 'noon' on the physical dial, so probably in the Low-Med range. Temp still set at the 'coldest' it'll go without automatically gaining A/C.
Which is all to say, ESS engages most of the time for me, as long as I'm not past noon or 1 o'clock on the blowers. A/C definitely pulls the engine on until temp is reached, which this time of year means almost always on. The algorithm also seems to favor leaving the engine on v. returning to ESS if the demand triggered the engine coming back on. So, I tend to leave the blowers at the 'max' level that still allows for ESS versus me being uncomfortably sweaty while I sit at the stoplight. ;)
Thanks for the info. My blower is usually set to 2 or 3, no auto temp.

Apexcars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500
Most everyone is reporting that the ESS doesn't come on anytime you are running the cooling or heating. I've only had it use ESS once and that was in the evening and only after I installed my HotHeads liner. I haven't had the Jeep very long yet and it has been hot as hell here ever since I got it so the A/C has been going full blast most of the time.

OP
OP
Sazabi19

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Most everyone is reporting that the ESS doesn't come on anytime you are running the cooling or heating. I've only had it use ESS once and that was in the evening and only after I installed my HotHeads liner. I haven't had the Jeep very long yet and it has been hot as hell here ever since I got it so the A/C has been going full blast most of the time.
I'm not using it though is the thing, blower only. It's the exact same way on my JT but it works there. I was wondering if there was something specific to the JL that was different or that could be changed. Like the door unlock mechanism.

Apexcars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500
There isn't any way to change/adjust it that I am aware of. I have the 3.6 eTorque, which engine do you have? Have you tried it with the A/C completely off?

OP
OP
Sazabi19

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just drove for a little bit and turned off the blower. ESS now works at every stop. Turning blower back on (still no AC, but set to LO) immediately starts the engine again...

Sponsored

SnowyJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Sport S
Try turning ESS off for a week and avoid short trips. You mention that you logged enough miles that the batteries should be fully charged, but you never know. My hunch is they're still a bit stale.

For the record, my ESS will usually come on with AC + 50% blower speed, as well as with heating + heated seats. If I create a power draw while in a stopped state (i.e. by rolling down the windows, or increasing the blower speed) it will often kick the motor back on.

EDIT: Just an additional thought, seeing how it's so hot out, could it be your Jeep's fan (as in the one behind the rad) is causing enough of a draw to prevent ESS? 🤔

OP
OP
Sazabi19

Sazabi19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Try turning ESS off for a week and avoid short trips. You mention that you logged enough miles that the batteries should be fully charged, but you never know. My hunch is they're still a bit stale.

For the record, my ESS will usually come on with AC + 50% blower speed, as well as with heating + heated seats. If I create a power draw while in a stopped state (i.e. by rolling down the windows, or increasing the blower speed) it will often kick the motor back on.

EDIT: Just an additional thought, seeing how it's so hot out, could it be your Jeep's fan (as in the one behind the rad) is causing enough of a draw to prevent ESS? 🤔
Don't think so, it's only ~80*f here. Temps seem to be fine and didn't hear rad fans on. first stop light it said not ready. next stop (at parking lot maybe ~1/4 mile down the road, all temps still reached normal operating temps) with blower off it stopped just fine. Same with the rest of the return trip home. It's just annoying :( It is a 2.0L.
Sponsored