Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
ESS Issue: I seem to be having the opposite ESS issue (or should I say ASS???). I got my 2018 JLU Sahara in October 2018, and the ESS was working fine, but now it seems to not work. I came to a stop (gas tank was full), and no engine shut off. Most people would think this may not be a problem, but I got to thinking, could this be a start of a new problem with the electrical system of the jeep?

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
ESS Issue: I seem to be having the opposite ESS issue (or should I say ASS???). I got my 2018 JLU Sahara in October 2018, and the ESS was working fine, but now it seems to not work. I came to a stop (gas tank was full), and no engine shut off. Most people would think this may not be a problem, but I got to thinking, could this be a start of a new problem with the electrical system of the jeep?
There's an ESS information display that will tell you the reason ESS is not functioning. Its usually Battery Protection mode when mine isn't activating.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
If you go to screen #6 in the EVIC display it should give you the reason ESS is not working

Sponsored

hanschien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I'm not sure when mine stopped working but it's always saying that it's charging, even with 40+ minutes of driving. I guess that's a "feature" and not a bug as I used to always disable it every time I start the Jeep.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not sure when mine stopped working but it's always saying that it's charging, even with 40+ minutes of driving. I guess that's a "feature" and not a bug as I used to always disable it every time I start the Jeep.
Mine said charging all the time as well and after the dealer checked it they found the main battery bad, also do you have a programmer installed

hanschien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Mine said charging all the time as well and after the dealer checked it they found the main battery bad, also do you have a programmer installed
No programmer installed and also checked all the fuses, some were a little loose.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
No programmer installed and also checked all the fuses, some were a little loose.
I would have your batteries tested, several here have had batteries replaced, they found mine bad even though it started everyday

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
There's an ESS information display that will tell you the reason ESS is not functioning. Its usually Battery Protection mode when mine isn't activating.
My ESS display said "Engine too cold" Does the ESS not function when its cold??

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
My ESS display said "Engine too cold" Does the ESS not function when its cold??
To add on to @Rhinebeck01 reply, There is another condition where the outside temperature is too cold and ESS will not function as well. I've only seen "Battery Protection Mode" in below freezing temperatures so I think that's what it displays when the outside temp is too low for ESS.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Here are some things that will prevent ESS from working:

Seat belt, driver door not closed, battery to cold or hot, battery charge is low, steep grade, cabin is heating or cooling, HVAC at max, tranny is not in a forward gear, hood is open, your in 4lo, light pressure on break pedal.

And here are a few that MAY cause it not to work;

Engine temp to high, low fuel , system fault

Tritonman

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Occupation
ITS Duty Manager
I'll add to the list of ESS issues. Mine stopped working and my Auto Park ended up being disabled as well. Turns out it was a bad sensor in the door latch so the jeep thinks the door is open and shuts those 2 features down.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
OK last time to bring up this issue. My ESS does not work, as posted before and the dash readout says "Engine too cold" I assume it means that when the engine is cold, ESS does not work. I commute about 2 miles daily and do not go much farther that that daily, just some city driving. I haven't been on a trip in a while. So my questions is, does the ESS not work when the engine is cold, but when the engine warms up, say 30 minutes of driving in a cold environment, it will begin to work?? Just trying to get some info before I take my JL in for its first oil change and check of systems.
Sponsored