Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
OK last time to bring up this issue. My ESS does not work, as posted before and the dash readout says "Engine too cold" I assume it means that when the engine is cold, ESS does not work. I commute about 2 miles daily and do not go much farther that that daily, just some city driving. I haven't been on a trip in a while. So my questions is, does the ESS not work when the engine is cold, but when the engine warms up, say 30 minutes of driving in a cold environment, it will begin to work?? Just trying to get some info before I take my JL in for its first oil change and check of systems.
ESS will not function until the engine is at normal operating temperature.
Sponsored

Johnhinesaz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Mine stopped working. Always read battery charging. I started checking voltage in the morning before i started it (with multimeter on battery posts). Each morning was around 12.1-12.2v. Not good. Took it to dealer and found both batteries were bad. They replaced both and now ESS is working again. Voltage while running is now around 13v instead of 14+ all the time.

Hope it was just bad luck on those batteries and not an every 6 month routine.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Mine stopped working. Always read battery charging. I started checking voltage in the morning before i started it (with multimeter on battery posts). Each morning was around 12.1-12.2v. Not good. Took it to dealer and found both batteries were bad. They replaced both and now ESS is working again. Voltage while running is now around 13v instead of 14+ all the time.

It seems there are more and more reporting on bad batteries, my main crapped out after 7 months, it always started the Jeep but ESS stopped working and like you it said battery charging in the ESS window but now it all works when I choose to engage ESS

My voltage while running has been as low as 12.7 at idle but if it sits parked for several days it has been as high as 14.4 but within about 15 mins of driving it slowly drops into the 13’s then if I still am driving say a few hours it drops into the high 12’s

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase

I replaced them on my own with an AUX14 and an optima yellow top. All was fine for a few weeks and now I’m back to “not ready charging” even after an hour of the engine running and me driving. Pretty annoyed at this point after spending $400 on fancy batteries to run into the same issue.

I replaced the aux because Napa told me it was dead.

the entire hour I was running the engine today it sat at 14.7 on the voltage page.
Sponsored