ESS issue

abecker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I have been having an issue where the car will be off due to ESS and then turn on while my foot is on the brake and give an error on the screen that there was a stop/start issue and that it needs service. When you turn the car off and back on ESS will start working again and then within about 10-15 stop/starts will have the issue again. Took it in to the dealer for the day and they said they cleared the codes and nothing required repair. Had the Jeep for about 15 minutes of driving and I got the error again so it is back in for service. The only good thing about it is I got a 2 door JK rubicon to drive while it is being serviced. This is the first time I have received anything other than a base model sedan to drive as a rental.
Sponsored

tCub

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S JL, 2018 Renegade Latitude 4x4
Same exact issue for me.. although my dealership told me slightly different. There’s another similar discussion about this, so I’ll post my original message from there....

I’ve been getting Service Stop Start on my JL... bought it two weeks ago tomorrow.. it was at the dealer last Friday and they said “the battery was low” so they “charged it” (I was only there for an hour two though.. hmmm). The service guy told me that if it comes back on again, they’ll just replace the battery(s) as they weren’t sure if it was just low or bad cells or what. It worked fine that day but came back on the next day. I have another appointment on Saturday so I’m expecting them to just replace the battery...

Seems to work okay in normal around town driving but if I’m in a drive-thru or highway stop-and-go (i.e. several stop / starts within a short period of time) it pretty consistently displays the service message.

Fortunately, the dealership seems solid and I’ve been working with the Jeep Wave folks who said they’d work with the dealer to find out how they’ll fix this permanently so I’m not back and forth...... fingers crossed for Saturday! I’ll report back what they tell me.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Same exact issue for me.. although my dealership told me slightly different. There’s another similar discussion about this, so I’ll post my original message from there....

I’ve been getting Service Stop Start on my JL... bought it two weeks ago tomorrow.. it was at the dealer last Friday and they said “the battery was low” so they “charged it” (I was only there for an hour two though.. hmmm). The service guy told me that if it comes back on again, they’ll just replace the battery(s) as they weren’t sure if it was just low or bad cells or what. It worked fine that day but came back on the next day. I have another appointment on Saturday so I’m expecting them to just replace the battery...

My question to you is, are they even checking the correct battery?

OP
OP
abecker

abecker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Just got mine back, ended up being a relay which was disconnected. Drove it home tonight and didn’t have any issues after 5-6 start/stops so hopefully the issue is resolved.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Network Architect & Engineer
Same problem - diagnosed to be the relay, and waiting for the part to arrive to replace it.

Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
There's another great post on loose fuses. Check your fuse box (under the hood) and make sure you push each fuse AND relay completely in. 95%, if not more, of mine were not seated fully. There's a ton of folks who've checked and found the same thing. The off/on/off/on effect of loose connections on your vehicle's electrical system could possibly cause similar issues to what you're dealing with. Worth a shot...

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
There's another great post on loose fuses. Check your fuse box (under the hood) and make sure you push each fuse AND relay completely in. 95%, if not more, of mine were not seated fully. There's a ton of folks who've checked and found the same thing. The off/on/off/on effect of loose connections on your vehicle's electrical system could possibly cause similar issues to what you're dealing with. Worth a shot...
Yep, that is the first thing I did before taking it to the dealer. Mine were all snapped in properly.

tCub

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A little late posting my follow up since my appointment....

They replaced the battery (the secondary one, btw) and took it for a spin to see if the issue was corrected. Apparently the light came back on while they tested it... they gave me the Jeep back and said “just drive it for about two months - the computer needs a couple months to recognize the battery and then it should stay off.”

Ummmm...

I said okay sure and left, taking their word for it, despite suspecting that’s totallly wrong... the light is coming on still of course. I checked the relays myself. Surprised to see some not fully seated. Even with everything seated, still coming on after a few stops per trip.

At this point I suspect either a bad relay (as some have mentioned) or “the computer needs a couple months of driving to recognize the battery”. Either way, I’ve got about 1,100 miles on it now and I’ll be back at 5k for my first service. If it’s not working by 5k or two months, I’ll simply bring it back.

They’re now my sole dealership (actually bought a Renegade 4x4 while I had the Wrangler up there) and I have an extended warranty. And my experience with my first Jeep - a 2015 Renegade - it’s good to have some patience when resolving small issues like this.

Looking forward to seeing more feeeback from the forums though. I will be taking this info back to the dealership if the light continues coming on! Thanks!

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
A little late posting my follow up since my appointment....

They replaced the battery (the secondary one, btw) and took it for a spin to see if the issue was corrected. Apparently the light came back on while they tested it... they gave me the Jeep back and said “just drive it for about two months - the computer needs a couple months to recognize the battery and then it should stay off.”

Ummmm...

I said okay sure and left, taking their word for it, despite suspecting that’s totallly wrong... the light is coming on still of course. I checked the relays myself. Surprised to see some not fully seated. Even with everything seated, still coming on after a few stops per trip.

At this point I suspect either a bad relay (as some have mentioned) or “the computer needs a couple months of driving to recognize the battery”. Either way, I’ve got about 1,100 miles on it now and I’ll be back at 5k for my first service. If it’s not working by 5k or two months, I’ll simply bring it back.

They’re now my sole dealership (actually bought a Renegade 4x4 while I had the Wrangler up there) and I have an extended warranty. And my experience with my first Jeep - a 2015 Renegade - it’s good to have some patience when resolving small issues like this.

Looking forward to seeing more feeeback from the forums though. I will be taking this info back to the dealership if the light continues coming on! Thanks!
It is pointing to the relay.
I am still waiting for the part to arrive;
Part number:
68383602AA

https://www.moparpartsstore.com/oem-parts/mopar-relay-micro-68383602aa

I don't know where it goes however. There is at least another relay which matches the same part number I believe which is used by the A/C.

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
According to the owners manual, page 393, F42 maybe it.

Sponsored

tCub

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the part number! I was also considering looking into just buying the part myself. I recalled seeing it in another thread. May just go this route.

Also, FYI, when you pop the lid off the fuse box, there’s a diagram on the inside that includes a drawing of the relays, the name of the relay and what it does. That should help determine which one to replace.

Thanks for your help!

Capricorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JL Willys XR V6
Occupation
Thanks for the part number! I was also considering looking into just buying the part myself. I recalled seeing it in another thread. May just go this route.

Also, FYI, when you pop the lid off the fuse box, there’s a diagram on the inside that includes a drawing of the relays, the name of the relay and what it does. That should help determine which one to replace.

Thanks for your help!
Okay, thanks.
I previously owned Toyotas and Nissans and never had to even open the hood. :)
But to replace it, do I just pull out the relay with my fingers and insert the new one or is there any technique to it?

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Just checked my fuses. I would say more than 50% of them were not fully seated. Slight pressure and felt a gentle snap. I have not had any problems thus far, but perhaps I prevented one.

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
I've had this warning come up twice now. Both times after I suddenly accelerated. Actually, I've only accelerated twice like that, to pass someone. Was reading about checking the fuses, and found all sorts of them not seated properly.

I'll give it the beans tomorrow and see if it comes on again, now that the fuses seem seated
Sponsored