Sponsored

ESS Issue or Battery Issue “ UPDATED AFTER SERVICE”

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@WranglerMan

Will, watch this video in it's entirety.. you will see at the end of the video the bottom of the carrier that houses the Aux battery.

Sponsored

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@WranglerMan

Will, watch this video in it's entirety.. you will see at the end of the video the bottom of the carrier that houses the Aux battery.

The liner has those plastic rivers holding it in and the ones that are on the outside edge are not reusable, and kinda pricey they honestly could have made it easier to get to without haveing to remove the fender liner and have to break the rivets, I surly don’t want to have to remove the whole fender flare to keep from breaking those non reusable rivets that hold the fender liner to the fender flare

To me changing a battery is pretty basic and I know it does not come up often but that particular setup could have been made easier and made it accessible from the top, I’m hoping the ESS battery fails just at the end of warranty so they can replace and I will be good for awhile, maybe that battery tender I will be using will keep it going healthy for many years

Last edited:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@WranglerMan

Watch the video, closely. He is removing the fender flare. There is no rivets involved, so no rivet breakage. Yes, if you remove the liner itself the rivets get destroyed and have to be replaced.

The white clips that secure the fender flare, apparently are very durable. They cost $.65 if you were to break one and are easily acquired.

Yup, would be nice if the Aux battery was right in your face so to speak ... easier to access.

jl-wrangler-wheel-flare-clip-2.jpg

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@WranglerMan

Watch the video, closely. He is removing the fender flare. There is no rivets involved, so no rivet breakage. Yes, if you remove the liner itself the rivets get destroyed and have to be replaced.

The white clips that secure the fender flare, apparently are very durable. They cost $.65 if you were to break one and are easily acquired.

Yup, would be nice if the Aux battery was right in your face so to speak ... easier to access.

jl-wrangler-wheel-flare-clip-2.jpg
Bill,
I know you can remove the fender flare to keep from breaking those costly rivets but you have to admit you should not have to remove a fender flare to get to that battery, I am also curious as to see once you get the fender flare off how easily the battery is removed, I see there are only a few bolts holding the box in but I’m sure the terminals are on top of the ESS battery so I wonder how much slack the cables will have, heck it might be easier to go in from the top but I’m sure that fuse block will have to be removed.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@WranglerMan

I hear ya. I'm more concerned on how easy or hard, it is to get the fender flare back on. In the video, re-install of the flare, is conveniently not shown.

I did help a local friend pull a JL flare. It did come off easy. I was taking a dump when he re-installed it. He did not say getting the flare back on, was an issue.

Sponsored

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@Rhinebeck01 knowing my luck I would break every one of those reusable clips, I’m sure somone here is going to tackle that chore soon enough but I won’t attempt it, our warranty’s will have us covered for several years

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
@WranglerMan

I hear ya. I'm more concerned on how easy or hard, it is to get the fender flare back on. In the video, re-install of the flare, is conveniently not shown.

I did help a local friend pull a JL flare. It did come off easy. I was taking a dump when he re-installed it. He did not say getting the flare back on, was an issue.
this post is unnecessarily detailed :)

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Blown7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 Hellcat powered CJ7..... 2007 Jeep SRT8...2018 Trackhawk
Im not sure on the JL but other Jeeps have a fuse (IOD if I remember correctly) you can pull to disable the can bus always awake for extended storage.. my SRT Jeep has it.

Maybe a little detective work on the fuse panels may save all these dead battery stories.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Im not sure on the JL but other Jeeps have a fuse (IOD if I remember correctly) you can pull to disable the can bus always awake for extended storage.. my SRT Jeep has it.

Maybe a little detective work on the fuse panels may save all these dead battery stories.
@Blown7
Unfortunately,

The JL, absolutely does not have an Ignition Off Draw Fuse (aka:IOD) as the JK's have.

The JL does have a Shipping Mode that minimizes parasitic power draw. This Shipping Mode is only allowed to be in use ... to be enabled within the first 200 miles if / I remember right. When the dealer gets the JL, part of PDI is to turn off ship mode. This is done by choreographed dash board button pushes. Ship Mode can be re-enabled or disabled by the vehicle owner but unfortunately, only up to 200 miles on the odometer.

Below is a pic of an IOD Fuse on a JK:

TowingFuses.JPG

Sponsored

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I am sure a few years from now someone will have some type of kit to maybe bypass the ESS battery or relocate it but that may just be wishful thinking on my part

jeepinoutwest

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport, 2017 Yamaha Super Tenere
So here’s an update. The dealer has had my Jeep for 2 days and I’m told their most experienced guy is working on it. So far, they have no idea what caused the Jeep to die in the road and not restart. They said both batteries and the ess control module check out fine. They are stumped and my Jeep won’t run.

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
So here’s an update. The dealer has had my Jeep for 2 days and I’m told their most experienced guy is working on it. So far, they have no idea what caused the Jeep to die in the road and not restart. They said both batteries and the ess control module check out fine. They are stumped and my Jeep won’t run.
That’s not a good thing, on a positive note after they replaced my main battery ESS has been spot on even though I hate but I am letting it do it’s thing, my Deltran battery tender will be here Sunday and when I get off my long rotation of nights I am going to put on the quick connector and let the tender tend :like:

I am curious if it’s going to show a full charge but so far for the past few days voltage has been in the 14’s which I’m told is normal and ESS is working and it does not display BATTERY CHARGING so I am hoping my luck holds up, we honestly should not be having these types of issues with brand new vehicles

W1ck3d

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon
The liner does not have to come off when removing the flare.... Keep it attached to the flare.... There is just the white clips and 1 pushpin

20181130_211026.jpg

W1ck3d

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon
And technically you don't even have to remove the flare and just go from underneath but having the flare off just makes it easier to access with less stuff in the way... They make it easy to remove the flares anyway because its one of the common things people change
Sponsored