Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Well I am thinking I need to take my Jeep in for a battery issue, I have made a few posts about my battery voltage reading high all the time but several said you can’t go by the reading on the EVIC and the battery system have a IBS ( Itelligent battery sensor) that senses when the battery needs charging and then allows the alternator to charge accordingly, well when I first got my Jeep the voltage use to jump up and down and I found out that this is normal but now it’s a steady 14.1-14.3 all the time but always has started and it’s been this way for months

Well after seeing lots of posts on ESS issues and then hearing about bad IBS sensors and bad ESS batteries I did a test, I went into my Tazer and turned the ESS function back on and after doing so I now get a message that says ESS not ready battery is charging and I’m guessing since it’s showing 14+ volts all the time that something is wrong like maybe the battery sensor is bad or the battery itself is bad but it’s never not started and the voltage showing 14+ has been like that for several months so what say the battery ESS experts out there
Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Interesting. I do wonder if having ESS disabled via Tazer has any impact on how the Jeep charges the aux battery.

You can isolate the aux battery from the main battery and check voltages independently. Maybe your aux battery is going bad. If so, it might be draining your main battery causing it to constantly charge.

Check out this thread.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-aux-battery-bypass.17293/

Last edited:
OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. I do wonder if having ESS disabled via Tazer has any impact on how the Jeep charges the aux battery.

You can isolate the aux battery from the main battery and check voltages independently. Maybe your aux battery is going bad. Is so, it might be draining your main battery causing it to constantly charge.

Check out this thread.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-aux-battery-bypass.17293/
I actually never really gave any thought into having the ESS system disabled via the Tazer and it having an effect on how it charges the batteries, like I have stated in past posts on my battery voltage, it’s been reading 14+ volts for several months and used to run 12.7-13.9 depending if I was driving steady or accelerating or decelerating but now it’s a constant 14.2 +/- .2

I have had ESS disabled with my Tazer since the day I got the Tazer and I honestly can’t remember what the voltages were reading but I am thinking they were going up/down like there supposed to and the thing the throws me off is I had no messages with the Tazer installed and no issues either like not starting for example, it’s always started and all things work as designed except I had the ESS disabled via the Tazer so currently I have turned the ESS back on thru the Tazer and will leave it that way for a few days to see what happens but if it still throws the battery charging message off to the dealer it goes and while they have it they can do another oil change and address a few TSB’s like the loud fan while AC is on high

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Now you guys have me worried. I've been monitoring my voltage for several weeks. It goes as high as 14.7 and as low as 14.3, but most of the time it's around 14.5. No Tazer, but I usually remember to push the button to disable ESS. I never get any ESS warning messages whether I push the button or not.

The alternator output is the same for both batteries, so both batteries will charge the same regardless of whether ESS is disabled or not. I found some information about the IBS needing to monitor the battery over time to determine the health of the battery and the IBS will have to relearn the battery if the IBS loses power. Maybe the Tazer resets the IBS and any battery warnings are just indicating the IBS is in the process of relearning the battery.

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Now you guys have me worried. I've been monitoring my voltage for several weeks. It goes as high as 14.7 and as low as 14.3, but most of the time it's around 14.5. No Tazer, but I usually remember to push the button to disable ESS. I never get any ESS warning messages whether I push the button or not.

The alternator output is the same for both batteries, so both batteries will charge the same regardless of whether ESS is disabled or not. I found some information about the IBS needing to monitor the battery over time to determine the health of the battery and the IBS will have to relearn the battery if the IBS loses power. Maybe the Tazer resets the IBS and any battery warnings are just indicating the IBS is in the process of relearning the battery.
My ESS system has been bypassed for months using the Tazer and like I said my Jeep has never not started or generated any error messages but then when I go thru the menu system it says ESS is off as it should due to it being bypassed using the Tazer so when I enabled it just to do some checking the message changed from ESS off to ESS not ready battery charging so my thinking is since the voltage has pretty much read 14.2 +/- .2 that it’s been charging all the time but I have not seen the message due to the ESS being turned off.

I did not have a digital meter to check voltages on the battery but I do have a 48/60 mile warranty so my plan is to have ESS enabled for several days and possibly unmarry the Tazer and run with that to see if the issue resolves it self, I don’t not have any items added other than the Tazer so everything is stock except for wheels and tires so it’s not something I done or added that would put a load on the battery.

My voltage when first getting my Jeep as I said would go as low as 12.7 and as high as 13.9 and jumped around depending on what driving conditions were but that from my understanding is normal but then one day I was going thru the menu system to reset mileage or something and saw it reading 14.2 so I was thinking dam that’s pretty high but never paid much mind to it since it’s been staring and running fine but after reading some of you have had batteries die and IBS sensors and fuses blowing I turned ESS back on to see and that’s when I saw the message Start/Stop not ready battery charging

B6C38AAB-4EE7-4B16-B1B5-B7A80AF157F1.jpeg
7996EAA8-44A1-44C0-B231-6C7744BE39F6.jpeg

Last edited:

Sponsored

W1ck3d

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jl rubicon
14v are what the agm batteries charge at.... Take a multimeter and check the batteries at the sources. .... Should read 12.5+

Blown7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 Hellcat powered CJ7..... 2007 Jeep SRT8...2018 Trackhawk
Usually when you see voltage around 12.5 volts your reading battery only. To charge a battery properly the voltage needs to be at least 1.5 volts above the battery stated voltage to charge. So 14 volts would indicate the battery is being charged by the alternator, Now I'm not sure how Joe disables the ESS (I initially showed Joe how to manipulate the FCA Can Bus over 12 years ago before an FCA tool ever existed). But if Joe sends a "ESS not equipped" command that may screw up the charging strategy. If he duplicated the every cycle button push "ESS Off" that may not screw up the system. You need to chat with Joe from Tazer to determine whats happening. Tell Him "Blown7" sent ya,

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
14v are what the agm batteries charge at.... Take a multimeter and check the batteries at the sources. .... Should read 12.5+
I would have to buy one to check the voltage and I know how to check the main battery voltage but how do you check the ESS battery, I’m sure it has to be isolated from the main one before checking

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Usually when you see voltage around 12.5 volts your reading battery only. To charge a battery properly the voltage needs to be at least 1.5 volts above the battery stated voltage to charge. So 14 volts would indicate the battery is being charged by the alternator, Now I'm not sure how Joe disables the ESS (I initially showed Joe how to manipulate the FCA Can Bus over 12 years ago before an FCA tool ever existed). But if Joe sends a "ESS not equipped" command that may screw up the charging strategy. If he duplicated the every cycle button push "ESS Off" that may not screw up the system. You need to chat with Joe from Tazer to determine whats happening. Tell Him "Blown7" sent ya,
I really wish i could remember if this issue was present before the Tazer but like I said the Tazer has been running for along time.

@joe@zauto can you advise on how ESS is handled, I will also send you a txt

joe@zauto

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler rubicon unlimited
Blown7! What’s up buddy?!

I’m just sending the button push message, effectively the same as if you got in the Jeep, started it up, and pressed the button. There was no need to make it any more complicated than that for this feature.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I would have to buy one to check the voltage and I know how to check the main battery voltage but how do you check the ESS battery, I’m sure it has to be isolated from the main one before checking
@Jebiruph can definitely help you with how to check voltage of the aux battery. You have to disconnect the aux from the main, otherwise your reading will show the voltage of both batteries wired in parallel.

Looks like the easy way is to remove the positive clamp from the main battery. Check voltage from the removed clamp and the negative lead.
This allows you to check voltage of both batteries individually.

See post #70 here

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/3-6l-ess-battery-diagram.14401/page-5

Last edited:

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
You can separate the batteries to check the voltages by removing the positive terminal from the main battery. Check the main battery from the battery and the aux battery from the removed positive terminal.

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase

I’m just sending the button push message, effectively the same as if you got in the Jeep, started it up, and pressed the button. There was no need to make it any more complicated than that for this feature.
Joe thanks for taking the time to answer this, so with that said I am thinking I have an issue with one or both batteries or the battery sensor or fuse/relay but then I have not checked the voltage of either battery and may get an inexpensive digital meter to test but in the end it more than likely is going to come down to a service visit

Blown7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 Hellcat powered CJ7..... 2007 Jeep SRT8...2018 Trackhawk

Nice to see your expanding everyday!!!

Yep that shouldn't do anything bad.

I still laugh that FCA "stole our idea of line lock to use for the Demon...

I got a couple other ideas Ill shoot by ya when I have some time..Take care

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Just a quick thanks to all for all the great info either posted on here or thru PM’s my plan it to raise all my tire pressures so I don’t get any TPMS alarms and unmarry the Tazer and roll with it unmarried until my service appt, I called today and told them what was going on and going to drop it off and let them figure it out, hopefully it’s an easy fix, the part that boggles my mind is with ESS disabled using the Tazer I had no issues what so ever and no error messages, I was told by the service advisor that the voltage should not run 14 volts all the time so they apparently have heard of issues with this.
Sponsored