ESS Issue or Battery Issue “ UPDATED AFTER SERVICE”

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I unmarried my tazer and ess is still not working properly. I'm not getting any messages at all in my evic saying there is a problem either. I'll try unplugging my batteries tomorrow and see if that will reset things

Edit: I forgot to mention that I was using tazer 11.0.3 if anyone cares.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Well my luck was short lived, as I said in an earlier post I completely removed the Tazer and bypass module after doing an unmarry and two full reboots and then disconnected both batteries for approx 20 mins and hooked it all back out and after a short ride ESS returned a ready message in the ESS menu ( choice #6 ) in the EVIC and the voltage even dropped slightly but today the voltage jumped back up and the ESS is again non operational and in menu choice #6 in the EVIC it displays “ Stop/Stop not ready battery charging” which is the same exact message displayed with the Tazer installed so I am doubful the Tazer did this unless somehow it pulled the voltage down but I am thinking that’s doubful as well as the Tazer by design goes into a “Sleep Mode” after like a minute and I have verified this by looking at the indicator light on the Tazer unit so unless some small miracle occurs and the alternator magically runs the voltage back up to normal so ESS works as designed I am thinking I have some issue that’s related to a bad ESS battery or main battery or possibly a bad IBS relay that is constantly throwing a charge to the battery, I will post a update after my service visit and hope it gets resolved.

If there is a bright side to this it’s the fact that ESS is disabled without pushing any buttons but I’m sure the constant charge being sent to the batteries can’t be good but then I’m guessing it’s been like this for awhile as my voltage has been high for months but I did not see the battery charging message as ESS was disabled with the Tazer and it has always started and never displayed any error message or lights indicating there was a problem

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Well I looked at page 6 on my evic and it does say “start/stop not ready. Battery charging”

Has anyone figured this out yet?

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Well I looked at page 6 on my evic and it does say “start/stop not ready. Battery charging”

Has anyone figured this out yet?
I surly can’t help,my voltage reading has been reading 14+ volts for several months as I stated I unmarried and removed my Tazer this past Monday and then disconnected both negative battery terminals for approx 20 mins then reconnected and the charging message went away for a very short period of time and ESS worked as designed but then the charging message returned and it’s back to not working, mind you I am perfectly ok with that as I don’t care for ESS at all but my major concern is the batteries being constantly charged as this will more than likely shorten there life.

I have not put a voltage meter on the batteries disconnected in a resting state so I have no idea what the voltage is but with the Jeep not running the EVIC displays 12+ volts and my Jeep starts and runs fine with no issues other than the charging message in the ESS message screen.

I have my dealer service appt on the 26th so we will see what they tell me, I am hoping it’s a relay or popped fuse, heck I have even read some have had batteries replaced so not sure.

If the issue was caused by the Tazer I would think that it being out of the picture for almost a week the batteries would at least be charged back up enough to remove the message but so far it’s not, I would go out and buy a trickle charger but I want to get to the bottom of the problem and find out what drained them to begin with if they are in fact drained so we will see what the service folks say.

Another member here advised me he was having the same issue on one of his JL’s as well but has his Tazer still installed but has not disabled ESS.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Another member and I last evening discussed several things that may be causing my issue but we still could not pinpoint the exact cause, we talked about everything from a possible parasitic draw on the battery that could be occurring from a possible Uconnect issue to the Tazer but the Tazer I know of for sure does power down or seems to by the indicator light on the front of the unit but not sure what possibly may be going on in the background, we also discussed possibly a bad IBS sensor or even a bad ESS battery but in the end we are both stumped on why I am getting a constant message on the ESS display screen that says “ Stop/Start not ready battery is charging” and ESS does not work but the Jeep starts and runs fine, the ESS did temporarily work after I removed the Tazer after an easy unmarry and reboot and disconnected all power for approx 20 mins but then the ESS not working returned a day later with the same message and it still remains.

I was thinking that by now the alternator would have charged the battery after driving it for several days back and fourth to work but as we discussed the alternator may not put out enough volts to charge the battery if it’s to low but then why would the Jeep even start as it’s my understanding that the ESS battery has to be of adequate charge for the Jeep to even start so then we discussed the possibility of the IBS being possibly bad but in the end who knows.

I brought up the fact that my JL sometimes stays parked for several days and that brought up another possibility that maybe the Uconnect system talks to the Jeep during the parked times and drains the battery down enough to cause the constant charging but no enough to keep it from starting, again this is all guesses, I also brought up the fact that I don’t have a trickle charger as I thought maybe if I were to charge the battery all would return to normal but then if i did that it would not solve the problem on what exactly caused the issue to begin with.

My plan is to let the dealer service folks look into this and hopefully resolve then once I get it back is to leave it all stock as in no Tazer installed and monitor the voltage for say a month with ESS enabled and let it do it’s normal operation to see what happens after that then install the Tazer and say just adjust my tire size and then monitor again leaving ESS enabled and working as designed and if the voltage does drop during any of this testing finding the problem may easier but again I’m not sure what the Uconnect or the Tazer is doing in the background.

We also discussed me not haveing a tricke charger and I honestly need one so what are you guys using to keep those batteries charged to peak capacity, as I said sometimes my Jeep is parked for 4-5 days and during that time I may run a short errand here or there but nothing of great distance and that also may be causing part of the problem with all the electronics in the background possibly drawing on the batteries so I’m thinking once in awhile to just throw a charger on the battery to keep them at peak charge.

So in closing I will let all of you know what the service folks find but to be truthful I am hoping it’s a bad relay or battery because if all they find is a low charge on the battery and nothing else I am thinking what is causing it and does not solve the problem.

I know some of you are seeing the same ESS message so I am curious if your ESS is not working while this message is displayed and if you are getting this message do you have anything like a Tazer or Flashcal in play, I know some don’t have one and are getting ESS messages.

Sorry for the early morning rant so to speak but this issue has me stumped and I am just trying to find out from others if you are having better luck getting this resolved than me.

Have a great day Gents

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Another member and I last evening discussed several things that may be causing my issue but we still could not pinpoint the exact cause, we talked about everything from a possible parasitic draw on the battery that could be occurring from a possible Uconnect issue to the Tazer but the Tazer I know of for sure does power down or seems to by the indicator light on the front of the unit but not sure what possibly may be going on in the background, we also discussed possibly a bad IBS sensor or even a bad ESS battery but in the end we are both stumped on why I am getting a constant message on the ESS display screen that says “ Stop/Start not ready battery is charging” and ESS does not work but the Jeep starts and runs fine, the ESS did temporarily work after I removed the Tazer after an easy unmarry and reboot and disconnected all power for approx 20 mins but then the ESS not working returned a day later with the same message and it still remains.

I was thinking that by now the alternator would have charged the battery after driving it for several days back and fourth to work but as we discussed the alternator may not put out enough volts to charge the battery if it’s to low but then why would the Jeep even start as it’s my understanding that the ESS battery has to be of adequate charge for the Jeep to even start so then we discussed the possibility of the IBS being possibly bad but in the end who knows.

I brought up the fact that my JL sometimes stays parked for several days and that brought up another possibility that maybe the Uconnect system talks to the Jeep during the parked times and drains the battery down enough to cause the constant charging but no enough to keep it from starting, again this is all guesses, I also brought up the fact that I don’t have a trickle charger as I thought maybe if I were to charge the battery all would return to normal but then if i did that it would not solve the problem on what exactly caused the issue to begin with.

My plan is to let the dealer service folks look into this and hopefully resolve then once I get it back is to leave it all stock as in no Tazer installed and monitor the voltage for say a month with ESS enabled and let it do it’s normal operation to see what happens after that then install the Tazer and say just adjust my tire size and then monitor again leaving ESS enabled and working as designed and if the voltage does drop during any of this testing finding the problem may easier but again I’m not sure what the Uconnect or the Tazer is doing in the background.

We also discussed me not haveing a tricke charger and I honestly need one so what are you guys using to keep those batteries charged to peak capacity, as I said sometimes my Jeep is parked for 4-5 days and during that time I may run a short errand here or there but nothing of great distance and that also may be causing part of the problem with all the electronics in the background possibly drawing on the batteries so I’m thinking once in awhile to just throw a charger on the battery to keep them at peak charge.

So in closing I will let all of you know what the service folks find but to be truthful I am hoping it’s a bad relay or battery because if all they find is a low charge on the battery and nothing else I am thinking what is causing it and does not solve the problem.

I know some of you are seeing the same ESS message so I am curious if your ESS is not working while this message is displayed and if you are getting this message do you have anything like a Tazer or Flashcal in play, I know some don’t have one and are getting ESS messages.

Sorry for the early morning rant so to speak but this issue has me stumped and I am just trying to find out from others if you are having better luck getting this resolved than me.

Have a great day Gents
I have a feeling you have more knowledge about your problem than your dealer will have. Most likely you will have to educate them.

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I have a feeling you have more knowledge about your problem than your dealer will have. Most likely you will have to educate them.
I just want to also have a record of the issue so later down the line if I have more trouble it will have already been documentated

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@WranglerMan I am having the exact same issue as you are having. I drive mine every day for short trips. I do have a dash cam that is on all the time so that would be a parasitic battery drain.The dash cam has a meter on it and will kick off if the battery gets too low so you think that wouldn't cause the problem.

Today I unplugged the Tazer, disconnected the dash cam and I'm currently running a trickle charger on the batteries. The charger I use is a Noco genius G7200

I'll let everyone know how that goes once the charge is complete

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@tmakaro i would very much like to here form you on what the trickle charger does for you in regard to this issue, from my limited research on battery charging and alternators, an alternator is supposed to maintain the current state of a battery it’s not supposed to charge a depleted one unless it’s driven for a long distance and even then it would take a long long trip according to the article I read but I’m not sure how modern alternators are built now but I am figuring if the current alternator is putting out 14+ volts in my case and the vehicle itself demands lots of that 14 volts to maintain it like lights, radio etc... there is not much going back to the battery on a short going back and fourth to work drive but the big question is what initially drew the voltage down.

I have had my Tazer out of service for almost a week and have put maybe a few hundred miles on it since taking it out but the ESS issue still remains saying Stop/Start not ready battery charging, I talked to another member who advised that if the battery is low it would take a long time driving to get it back up to fully charged but my big question is what put the battery in that state of low charge to begin with as I have nothing installed that would draw power

Space ace

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
So I’ve had this issue for awhile now.. first time the service department tested the IBS, passed.. then tested the main battery, passed.. next the aux battery, failed.. so it was replaced and ESS worked for some time. But now I’ve been getting the not ready battery charging msg for over a week with the battery reading 14.3 and up.. yesterday I noticed it going down to 14.0-14.1 and about a mile from home the start/stop ready msg appeared.. parked it in the garage and then drove it today with the not ready battery charging msg again.. weird..

Sponsored

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@Space ace are you running any items on your JL that’s not stock like any type of programmer, lights, winch etc.... basically anything that’s not stock.

How long does your JL stay parked and when you drive it do you drive it long distances, for me my schedule is pretty different as I only work 14 days a month ( DuPont schedule ) and I have 7 days off in a row every month and sometimes my JL sits for 3-5 days without running and most of the time during my 7 off I do run some short errands but nothing of any distance but I would surly hope these batteries and this design are better than what we are seeing, seems to me that more and more are seeing battery issues along with ESS issues so the big question is what is causing this as some are running all stock JL’s and others are running programmers, lights, winches and everything in between so there does not seem to be a correlation tied to any one item or items and I surly hope we all don’t have to get trickle chargers and put out JL’s on chargers every week to keep our batteries going

Another possible issue/ idea was suggested was for those having issues with ESS and battery charging is what radio are we all running, I am running the 7” Uconnect so are any running the 8.4, just curious to see what one we are all running to try and pinpoint a possible connection that we all have in common.

Last edited:

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@WranglerMan I am having the exact same issue as you are having. I drive mine every day for short trips. I do have a dash cam that is on all the time so that would be a parasitic battery drain.The dash cam has a meter on it and will kick off if the battery gets too low so you think that wouldn't cause the problem.

Today I unplugged the Tazer, disconnected the dash cam and I'm currently running a trickle charger on the batteries. The charger I use is a Noco genius G7200

I'll let everyone know how that goes once the charge is complete
Well after about 3 hours my smart charger said it was done so I disconnected the batteries(disconnected the negatives), waited 30 minutes and reconnected them. Still same issue :swear:
I reconnected the the charger and this time I am going to let it charge overnight and will try again.

Oh, I didn't unmarry the Tazer, just unplugged it.

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
@tmakaro I would have unmarried and removed the Tazer, it’s doubful it’s the cause but best to take everything that’s not stock out of the picture as it makes trying to figure things out easier with it all stock, by chance do you have a meter to check voltages of both batteries in a resting state ? I would be curious as to what those voltages are.

If the same problem exists after the Tazer has been removed and voltages are say above 12.5 on both batteries then it may be the IBS but not sure how to check that.

I have my appt on the 26th to have the service folks address this along with a few other things and hoping they find a simple problem like a bad IBS or battery, I would think that there cannot be much in the loop that would cause the system to be throwing a constant charge to the batteries but then with all the electronics on these newer vehicles it’s somtimes impossible to track things down.

The part that still blows my mind is the system reports that ESS is disabled due to battery charging so that tells me that the ESS battery would not have enough voltage to restart the Jeep on ESS operation but in my case the Jeep starts and runs fine and displays no signs of trouble other than voltage running high and ESS not working

Space ace

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon
All stock, nothing aftermarket added accessories wise.. I drive it every day, sometimes it might sit a day or two on the weekend. I drive 17 minutes to work and 17 minutes back.. last drove it and after 12 minutes or so the start/stop ready appeared.. and then driving home this morning it functioned as designed.. idk, it’s strange

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
All stock, nothing aftermarket added accessories wise.. I drive it every day, sometimes it might sit a day or two on the weekend. I drive 17 minutes to work and 17 minutes back.. last drove it and after 12 minutes or so the start/stop ready appeared.. and then driving home this morning it functioned as designed.. idk, it’s strange
Well I have been driving 25 miles to work and 25 home several times and voltage has been steady at 14+ and ESS still says not ready charging battery, have not put it on a trickle charger and don’t plan on it as it’s going to the dealer next week and they are going to keep it until it’s fixed I hope and I hope it’s a quick one day fix
Sponsored