Sponsored

ESS (Electric Start/Stop) not standard equipment? Mine wasn't...sort of

DTPICKREL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubi Punk'n Orange and love it
I may be the only JL wrangler owner without ESS installed at the factory. Well, sort of…I guess I should say not “completely” installed at the factory.

I just bought my 2018 JL Rubi in Aug of 2019. When I was driving it home, 120 mile trip, the dash message was “ESS Unavailable, system charging”. When I got home, it worked just like it should, shut off and on at the stop lights etc. There were no problems for 3 weeks..1600ish miles until I pulled up to a light and it shut off the engine. When it was time to restart, it “clunked” and jumped forward a bit. The ESS unavailable warning light came on and the dash message of “Service ESS”.

I Dropped it off at the dealer two days ago. Yesterday I was told it would need a software update. This morning I was told there is an electrical issue and it was draining the battery. This afternoon, they called me and told me the ESS extra battery, battery tray and wiring harness connector for the ESS were missing and the bill would be $1400. WHAT?

Long story short, I went in and talked with the service manager. After investigation, they are sure it was never installed in the first place from the factory and it will be covered. Mechanic said it was running off the main battery until it drained it. They have also given me a rental truck until it is fixed.

Scary stuff! What else could be missing?

Anyone else have this happen?
Sponsored

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
You should ask em if, for $1,400 they will go ahead and remove the rest of it.

It will improve the value of your jeep immeasurably.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I may be the only JL wrangler owner without ESS installed at the factory. Well, sort of…I guess I should say not “completely” installed at the factory.

I just bought my 2018 JL Rubi in Aug of 2019. When I was driving it home, 120 mile trip, the dash message was “ESS Unavailable, system charging”. When I got home, it worked just like it should, shut off and on at the stop lights etc. There were no problems for 3 weeks..1600ish miles until I pulled up to a light and it shut off the engine. When it was time to restart, it “clunked” and jumped forward a bit. The ESS unavailable warning light came on and the dash message of “Service ESS”.

I Dropped it off at the dealer two days ago. Yesterday I was told it would need a software update. This morning I was told there is an electrical issue and it was draining the battery. This afternoon, they called me and told me the ESS extra battery, battery tray and wiring harness connector for the ESS were missing and the bill would be $1400. WHAT?

Long story short, I went in and talked with the service manager. After investigation, they are sure it was never installed in the first place from the factory and it will be covered. Mechanic said it was running off the main battery until it drained it. They have also given me a rental truck until it is fixed.

Scary stuff! What else could be missing?

Anyone else have this happen?
Hi DTPICKREL,
We are sorry to hear what you have been experiencing with your vehicle. Please keep us updated on your dealer visit. If you are interested and need additional assistance in the future, feel free to private message our team!
Laura
Jeep Cares

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
This afternoon, they called me and told me the ESS extra battery, battery tray and wiring harness connector for the ESS were missing and the bill would be $1400. WHAT?
So.... how did they get $1400 from 3 things that cost around $200 tops. Is this the 3.6?

OP
OP
DTPICKREL

DTPICKREL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So.... how did they get $1400 from 3 things that cost around $200 tops. Is this the 3.6?
Yes 3.6. I can't answer why so much, I know they spent a few days trouble shooting why the ESS dash light was on so maybe labor. They are making it right so my only complaint is owning a new Jeep that has been in the shop for a week for a major quality control issue at the factory.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DTPICKREL

DTPICKREL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi DTPICKREL,
We are sorry to hear what you have been experiencing with your vehicle. Please keep us updated on your dealer visit. If you are interested and need additional assistance in the future, feel free to private message our team!
Laura
Jeep Cares
Thank you for reaching out. Patterson Jeep is taking care of me. The Jeep is still in the shop but they gave me a rental so that helps. It stinks having a 1 month old Jeep with 1700 miles on it in the shop for a week (so far) for something that was avoidable. I will certainly reach out to you if this issue does not resolve. Thanks Again.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thank you for reaching out. Patterson Jeep is taking care of me. The Jeep is still in the shop but they gave me a rental so that helps. It stinks having a 1 month old Jeep with 1700 miles on it in the shop for a week (so far) for something that was avoidable. I will certainly reach out to you if this issue does not resolve. Thanks Again.
Hi DTPICKREL,
Not a problem. We are here if needed!
Laura
Jeep Cares

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I'm hoping they're not charging you the $1400? I'm also skeptical of there story, to me it sounds more likely that this Jeep sat on the lot way too long without being charged, and the ESS battery died. From what I understand, ESS won't even try unless the Aux battery is there.
Sponsored