Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
How did you make your Jumper...please give me the specs or where you got it. How do you keep the Aux Battery charged, or will it charge with the Jumper in place. I know it's somewhere in the thread but I would like to know exactly what you are using...Thanks, Larry
Larry, as it regards the how do I make the jumper portion of your question....and I think @Jebiruph Jerry would agree with this because it just is what it is..

by virtue of your 2019 ownership you neither need said jumper nor will it do you much good regarding its original intention...to get your 3.6L JL cold cranked if the ESS/Aux battery is dead.

A quick history lesson's required here. 2018 3.6L JLs that have not since been upgraded with a flash whose details I won't get into--because it doesn't apply to you, benefitted from Jerry's jumper because they would not crank if the ESS/Aux battery lacked adequate charge--even if the main battery had all the power in the world.

The upgraded 2018's (3.6L that is) and all model year (3.6L's) thereafter do not get stranded upon attempts to cold crank them if the ESS/Aux battery is dead. They automatically attempt, on second crank try, the main battery.

With factory or Jerry's original jumper in place the Aux battery is charged when the engine is cranked. I'm not a fan of using ESS with Jerry's jumper because with it in place, ESS events no longer solely tax the ESS battery as per factory design, instead tapping both batteries.

(Jerry's original jumper hard wired both batteries in parallel. By factory standards those batteries were always hardwired but for a second at cold crank and ESS events.)

It's probably me being too careful, but the whole idea of isolating the batteries during an ESS even,t so the main battery has enough power to bear the brunt of the load in cranking the engine does not happen with his jumper.

That is NOT a critique of Jerry's brilliance, just a contraindication for its use with IMHO, ESS.

~~~~~

Now, that said, and since Jerry's initial creation of that jumper, he has gone on to build upon that initial design and create ingenious mechanisms to allow the 3.6L JL to operate by factory, with just one (either) battery, or both batteries always connected (i.e. his jumper).

It's all great stuff, but bottom line, before you go rewiring, what best happens first is an assessment of your needs.

And if those needs are only "I need to know that if the ESS/Aux battery dies I can still crank the engine (on the second try,)" then you are "Dorothy and her desire to go home from Oz."

Your 2019 (assuming 3.6L) had that "power" all along. : - )
Sponsored

Mtrctylarry

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Larry, as it regards the how do I make the jumper portion of your question....and I think @Jebiruph Jerry would agree with this because it just is what it is..

by virtue of your 2019 ownership you neither need said jumper nor will it do you much good regarding its original intention...to get your 3.6L JL cold cranked if the ESS/Aux battery is dead.

A quick history lesson's required here. 2018 3.6L JLs that have not since been upgraded with a flash whose details I won't get into--because it doesn't apply to you, benefitted from Jerry's jumper because they would not crank if the ESS/Aux battery lacked adequate charge--even if the main battery had all the power in the world.

The upgraded 2018's (3.6L that is) and all model year (3.6L's) thereafter do not get stranded upon attempts to cold crank them if the ESS/Aux battery is dead. They automatically attempt, on second crank try, the main battery.

With factory or Jerry's original jumper in place the Aux battery is charged when the engine is cranked. I'm not a fan of using ESS with Jerry's jumper because with it in place, ESS events no longer solely tax the ESS battery as per factory design, instead tapping both batteries.

(Jerry's original jumper hard wired both batteries in parallel. By factory standards those batteries were always hardwired but for a second at cold crank and ESS events.)

It's probably me being too careful, but the whole idea of isolating the batteries during an ESS even,t so the main battery has enough power to bear the brunt of the load in cranking the engine does not happen with his jumper.

That is NOT a critique of Jerry's brilliance, just a contraindication for its use with IMHO, ESS.

~~~~~

Now, that said, and since Jerry's initial creation of that jumper, he has gone on to build upon that initial design and create ingenious mechanisms to allow the 3.6L JL to operate by factory, with just one (either) battery, or both batteries always connected (i.e. his jumper).

It's all great stuff, but bottom line, before you go rewiring, what best happens first is an assessment of your needs.

And if those needs are only "I need to know that if the ESS/Aux battery dies I can still crank the engine (on the second try,)" then you are "Dorothy and her desire to go home from Oz."

Your 2019 (assuming 3.6L) had that "power" all along. : - )
Even though mine being a 3.6 w/ESS has the update in which the Jeep will start on the second try if the condition exists that the Aux Batt is drained low enough to not start on it's own.
Mine will start on the second try, but will give all sorts of warning messages on the center dash display until the Aux batt is sufficiently charged, which takes some time...I drove it one time with this condition and it did not fully charge the system after aprox. 100 miles of highway driving.

Jerry and Bill's N1 to N2 Jumper solution is in my mind the Best way to eliminate a poorly engineered factory design inherently prone to problems by using dissimilar batteries to run the ESS system which cause a myriad of concerns...especially for a person like me that drives my Jeep mostly occasionally which I always keep on a Deltran fully automatic 3 amp battery charger/maintainer when not driving for more than a few days.
Sounds like a good solid solution to run vehicle just using main batt and having the aux batt as a standby only battery. Especially for people like me who always disable the stop/start system every time I drive my Jeep.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Even though mine being a 3.6 w/ESS has the update in which the Jeep will start on the second try if the condition exists that the Aux Batt is drained low enough to not start on it's own.
Mine will start on the second try, but will give all sorts of warning messages on the center dash display until the Aux batt is sufficiently charged, which takes some time...I drove it one time with this condition and it did not fully charge the system after aprox. 100 miles of highway driving.

Jerry and Bill's N1 to N2 Jumper solution is in my mind the Best way to eliminate a poorly engineered factory design inherently prone to problems by using dissimilar batteries to run the ESS system which cause a myriad of concerns...especially for a person like me that drives my Jeep mostly occasionally which I always keep on a Deltran fully automatic 3 amp battery charger/maintainer when not driving for more than a few days.
Sounds like a good solid solution to run vehicle just using main batt and having the aux batt as a standby only battery. Especially for people like me who always disable the stop/start system every time I drive my Jeep.
If getting rid of those idiot lights is a goal, Jerry's initial jumper solution will do that because the factory wiring's isolation of the ESS/Aux battery upon startup will be overwritten by the jumper's wiring--that keeps the batteries connect in parallel 100% of the time, such the calls to any battery are calls to both batteries. As you don't run ESS..it sounds good.

But this jumper solution by no means takes the ESS/Aux battery out of the picture. Jerry's more advanced wiring schemes though do provide the functionality to do that if desired.

Larry, not to be pedantic but these thoughts I think are apropos for Jerry's more advanced wiring schemes, not the initial and morebasic jumper one:

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase

The worst thing FCA did on dual batteries besides location is size, this from my research is the worst possible setup having batteries of dissimilar size, there are multiple ways to correct this and it just depends on your needs and how deep you want to dig in your pocket

Jeep Wrangler JL ESS Dual Battery Management 20F08B46-E956-441F-B284-4591B9A56556

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
The worst thing FCA did on dual batteries besides location is size, this from my research is the worst possible setup having batteries of dissimilar size, there are multiple ways to correct this and it just depends on your needs and how deep you want to dig in your pocket

Jeep Wrangler JL ESS Dual Battery Management 20F08B46-E956-441F-B284-4591B9A56556
Will:

I would have loved to be a fly on the way at Stellantis when this system was being designed.

As sure as I can be, without being there, at least a couple of engineers, whose knowledge of science probably far exceeded that of fashion--and the suits the executives were wearing at said meeting--pointed these things out about dissimilar batteries, while the bean counters ran the numbers of creating a design like seen in the Genesis system, over what's in place now, or even over a single battery system, and the suits decided upon what we have now.

"If it doesn't work well, the aftermarket will address it," I'll bet was said or at least thought at said meeting.

Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Will:

I would have loved to be a fly on the way at Stellantis when this system was being designed.

As sure as I can be, without being there, at least a couple of engineers, whose knowledge of science probably far exceeded that of fashion--and the suits the executives were wearing at said meeting--pointed these things out about dissimilar batteries, while the bean counters ran the numbers of creating a design like seen in the Genesis system, over what's in place now, or even over a single battery system, and the suits decided upon what we have now.

"If it doesn't work well, the aftermarket will address it," I'll bet was said or at least thought at said meeting.
I‘m sure cost factored into the design of using the smaller ESS battery, my guess is the engineers were directed by the bean counters to tell them design a system that allows the JL to be powered during an ESS event with the most economical option they could come up with and in the end never gave much thought to ease of repair or longevity of components and just considered the batteries a disposable option.

Batteries that are available today just don’t last as long as they did years ago due to the environmental control most battery makers are made to hold standards to and couple that with the huge parasitic draw that all these newer vehicles use and then finish it off with no regular battery maintenance that most owners don’t do because most of the general public just gets in their vehicle and presses the button and goes down the road.

We all know know from Jerry’s @Jebiruph great work and time he took to give us all a very detailed working knowledge of the JL’s ESS system and then designed and shared his great way to bypass this system for a small investment with little to no impact on the system and we should all be thankful for all the time he’s invested in this and continues to give us more info as he discovers it and with this knowledge we as owners can decide what best suites our needs ranging from just moving a few cables for a $0 investment to system like Genesis or REDARC that come at a significant investment and to be truthful FCA could have easily addressed this by just having two full size batteries that were more easily accessed.

Batteries don’t last forever and we all know this but for something as consumable as they are there should have been a better design.

Is the Genesis system I have perfect ….NO ITS NOT…there are a few things that IMHO could have been addressed differently but Shane, Mike and all the rest over at Genesis Offroad designed a system that made it super simple to install for the typical person that has basic skills, and used components that are readily available to replace if and when they fail.

I won’t go into what I consider short comings as there are only a few but again this is only my opinion and when my batteries need replacing down the road I will attempt to address at least one or two but who knows I may have another Wrangler by then and maybe FCA will have a better design ( doubt it )

Anyway I say to all and always have …..If your happy with the original design using no jumpers or bypasses good for you and to others that don’t like it there are a host of other options and you as the owner have to choose what suits your need and pocket.

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon - Hella Yella - 2.2 Diesel
Vehicle Showcase
Hello to all,

I tried to read and follow the topic, but my English is very basic and I translate everything with "google".

I would like to permanently remove my AUX battery and use my Tazer to turn off the ESS automatically.

My question, is there a solution in this idea and is there a good tuto to do the job?

Thank you in advance for your advice and your answers

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Follow-up post in this thread....

For years ........I have been running with @Jebiruph's, bypass jumper / his kit (Thanks again, for the bypass goodies, Jerry) installed and it facilitating my JL running with just the Main battery...

.....Been doing this, since around 8/18 and have accumulated just over 55,000+ with the bypass jumper / Kit in place/in use....and as stated, running with just the Main battery.

Never ever any issues running with just the Main battery. No EVIC notices, etc..

ESS is alive and well lets say, on my JL... I use @SmartStopStart.com unit (Terrific offering) to deal with ESS.

IF, I chose to use ESS (rarely) I still can.

I closely monitor the health of both the Main and Aux battery.

I use a 12V, 5.Amp, Noco Battery Tender / Charger and Maintainer to maintain both batteries when/if the JL sits for more then say 6 or 7 days.

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for your answer. We have shared a message exchange (in private message), thanks again. I am finalizing my "N1+N2" bypass :like::rock:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Main Battery:

IF.... if, you do not release this black plastic retaining clip it will break...

When you go to replace the Main battery or if for some reason you will be disconnecting the Pos side of the Main battery, do know there is a black plastic retaining clip that needs to be released with a small plastic tab just as go to pry up the Pos cable connection...

IF you break the black plastic retaining clip, do know that it is not critical to have so don't bother trying to find/buy another... Of course, would be nice if you did not break that retaining clip.

See pic which displays the black plastic clip and the tab (just below the thumb in the pic) you need to push on it before you pry up the pos cable connection...
Jeep Wrangler JL ESS Dual Battery Management pos-retainer cli

Sponsored

SwissSteph

First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.swissjeepjl.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for this information. I already changed my original battery with a "Yellow Optima" a long time ago (I've been putting Optima's on all my cars for many, many years).

I must admit that when I exchanged it, I did not see this clip and ... I probably broke it during disassembly and reassembly. So it's too late now to be careful :giggle:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, getting close to 4 yrs now.. since 8/18 .... I have been running with just the Main.... I now have about 65,000 miles on my JL.

And that little factory Aux battery that came with the JL, well it still passes a load test. No, I do not use it. It is there for b/u if I need it.

I have been running with @Jebiruph's, bypass jumper / his kit (Thanks again, for the bypass goodies, Jerry) installed and it facilitating my JL running with just the Main battery...

Never ever any issues running with just the Main battery. No EVIC notices, etc..

ESS is alive and well lets say, on my JL... I use @SmartStopStart.com unit (Terrific offering) to deal with ESS.

Jeep Wrangler JL ESS Dual Battery Management Dual Battery Monitor Kit Installed

Fudster

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Elliot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Well, getting close to 4 yrs now.. since 8/18 .... I have been running with just the Main.... I now have about 65,000 miles on my JL.

And that little factory Aux battery that came with the JL, well it still passes a load test. No, I do not use it. It is there for b/u if I need it.

I have been running with @Jebiruph's, bypass jumper / his kit (Thanks again, for the bypass goodies, Jerry) installed and it facilitating my JL running with just the Main battery...

How does the Aux battery get charged--assuming you even care to even top it off now then? TIA.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How does the Aux battery get charged--assuming you even care to even top it off now then? TIA.
I routinely hook up a Noco 10 battery tender/maintainer to it. Say every 10 days. I maintain it as a b/u of sorts but doubt I will ever need it for that.

Once that original, factory Aux won't hold a charge/can't pass a load test... it will just lie in place unbothered so to speak.

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
The system doesn't know the ESS battery is disconnected, but when you run on a single battery it will limit ESS events to 6.

@Rhinebeck01 has been running with his ESS battery disconnected using a bypass jumper for a very long time. He's going to test this and I'm sure he'll post pictures. He also brought to my attention that there needs to be a way to prevent the meters from draining the batteries, so I'll being adding switches to the meters.

Here's the specs for the switch, it's just a generic Amazon battery switch.

Instead of a bluetooth device that will use power, I could see running the wires to install some meters in the cab.
If the ESS system is operating only through the main battery, it can only perform ESS stop-start at the maximum of 6 times in a trip? (trip is starting cold -> driving -> and stopping the vehicle intentionally)

Why is that 6 times - and not based off of the charge left in the battery to allow it to cold start if needed.
Sponsored