Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT

LS7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'66 CJ5, ‘18 JLUR
Jerry, I appreciate the effort you have put into this project, and have done my best to follow what you are doing (it would have been easier for me to follow had the discussion not been sidetracked by the discussion of the the Genesis system). I have followed the various iterations of your design and am left wondering, is it your ultimate goal to permanently install your system to isolate and monitor the batteries, or will you use Rhinebeck01’s method of disconnecting the auxiliary battery ground and only use your system when you want to monitor and or charge the batteries.
Thanks for sharing with the rest of us.

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jerry, I appreciate the effort you have put into this project, and have done my best to follow what you are doing (it would have been easier for me to follow had the discussion not been sidetracked by the discussion of the the Genesis system). I have followed the various iterations of your design and am left wondering, is it your ultimate goal to permanently install your system to isolate and monitor the batteries, or will you use Rhinebeck01’s method of disconnecting the auxiliary battery ground and only use your system when you want to monitor and or charge the batteries.
Thanks for sharing with the rest of us.
My expectation was that this system would be permanently installed as opposed to switching back and forth.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Well, today, I received and installed @Jebiruph 's, ESS Dual Battery Management Kit..

First off, I want to thank Jerry very much for building this kit and mailing it to me. I know he went out of his way to come up with this kit because he knew that it would benefit ME, and so many other JL/JLU and JT owner's..... Owner's that could truly benefit from an easy way to manage the stock dual battery set-up on our vehicles.

With that said............... GEEEEZ, he did a frigging, terrific job assembling this well thought out set-up/kit.

Jerry's workmanship is top notch. Looking at the assembled hardware, it is obvious that he wanted it just right, so to speak.

The install for me was easy easy. Took all of 20 min. or so....

Here is a copy of my message to Jerry just now via forum messaging...

"I really like the box you used for the meters and the the way it is grey on top and the actual box, black in color. Real nice...

I covered all kit wires with 1/4" black, wire loom split tubing auto wire, conduit flexible covering. Provides protection from critters and such and adds to a real clean look after install. The 1/4" size worked well and was big enough to use even though wires had connectors.

I used small, black zip ties to secure the switch bottom on. I'm leaving it like that as it looks real clean and the zip ties do the deed and can easily be removed if necessary.

I used "Extreme Outdoor 15# hold Velcro cut to size to secure both the meter box and the disconnect box to the battery cover. The Velcro grabbed extremely well to the hardware and to the battery cover itself. Again grabbed extremely well.

What is nice is that the disconnect box and meter box are well secured but thanks to the Velcro they are slightly movable and not a rigid mount..... the Velcro will absorb vibration that occurs when driving.. Also, with a real strong pull the Velcro will let go of the hardware that it secures.
The meter box fits in there nicely and looks real good there...

Oh, the PDC cover went on with no issue.

Had issues getting the M8-125 Wing nut hitting the other wing nut and not allowing me to get both the Win nuts tight enough on the Main battery, neutral connection. SO, I took the M8-125 and with a file, filed down the one edge of the wing itself. Thanks to the slight smaller Wing, I can now tighten both Wings without them hitting each other....

I'm really pleased with the install... the look of the install.... and I'm real picky...

As for two meters versus one... I'm so glad you sent me the 2 meter set-up. After working with / viewing the 2 meters side by side, I'm sold on having 2 meters.

Yes, I tried different configurations of use and everything works well... SO so nice having the 2 meters in front of me and allowing me, with no effort , to see each battery is charging / charged..

I keep saying to myself,, geeeez, Jerry did me right.. he really did not need to go out of his way to set me up with this... I got to tell Jerry thanks again. 8-) "

Jeep Wrangler JL ESS Dual Battery Management Installed01

Jeep Wrangler JL ESS Dual Battery Management Installed02

LS7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'66 CJ5, ‘18 JLUR
Bill, very nice and clean looking (I too tend to be on the picky side). Looking at your engine compartment, one would never know that you have over 40,000 miles on your Jeep. Kudos to you.

Jerry, do you plan on selling these kits? If not, would you mind providing a list of components, in addition to the disconnect switch you already provided? I really like your latest iteration.

Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Well, today, I received and installed @Jebiruph 's, ESS Dual Battery Management Kit..

First off, I want to thank Jerry very much for building this kit and mailing it to me. I know he went out of his way to come up with this kit because he knew that it would benefit ME, and so many other JL/JLU and JT owner's..... Owner's that could truly benefit from an easy way to manage the stock dual battery set-up on our vehicles.

With that said............... GEEEEZ, he did a frigging, terrific job assembling this well thought out set-up/kit.

Jerry's workmanship is top notch. Looking at the assembled hardware, it is obvious that he wanted it just right, so to speak.

The install for me was easy easy. Took all of 20 min. or so....

Here is a copy of my message to Jerry just now via forum messaging...

"I really like the box you used for the meters and the the way it is grey on top and the actual box, black in color. Real nice...

I covered all kit wires with 1/4" black, wire loom split tubing auto wire, conduit flexible covering. Provides protection from critters and such and adds to a real clean look after install. The 1/4" size worked well and was big enough to use even though wires had connectors.

I used small, black zip ties to secure the switch bottom on. I'm leaving it like that as it looks real clean and the zip ties do the deed and can easily be removed if necessary.

I used "Extreme Outdoor 15# hold Velcro cut to size to secure both the meter box and the disconnect box to the battery cover. The Velcro grabbed extremely well to the hardware and to the battery cover itself. Again grabbed extremely well.

What is nice is that the disconnect box and meter box are well secured but thanks to the Velcro they are slightly movable and not a rigid mount..... the Velcro will absorb vibration that occurs when driving.. Also, with a real strong pull the Velcro will let go of the hardware that it secures.
The meter box fits in there nicely and looks real good there...

Oh, the PDC cover went on with no issue.

Had issues getting the M8-125 Wing nut hitting the other wing nut and not allowing me to get both the Win nuts tight enough on the Main battery, neutral connection. SO, I took the M8-125 and with a file, filed down the one edge of the wing itself. Thanks to the slight smaller Wing, I can now tighten both Wings without them hitting each other....

I'm really pleased with the install... the look of the install.... and I'm real picky...

As for two meters versus one... I'm so glad you sent me the 2 meter set-up. After working with / viewing the 2 meters side by side, I'm sold on having 2 meters.

Yes, I tried different configurations of use and everything works well... SO so nice having the 2 meters in front of me and allowing me, with no effort , to see each battery is charging / charged..

I keep saying to myself,, geeeez, Jerry did me right.. he really did not need to go out of his way to set me up with this... I got to tell Jerry thanks again. 8-) "

Bill, did you have TSB 18-092-19 applied? If not, does your Jeep start with the aux battery disabled? I know you have a 2dr 2018, just like me.

I really like this setup. Great job, Jerry.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Bill, did you have TSB 18-092-19 applied? If not, does your Jeep start with the aux battery disabled? I know you have a 2dr 2018, just like me.

I really like this setup. Great job, Jerry.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On edit 12/17/20:
I did end up having TSB 18-092-19 applied to my 2018 JL, with 3.6. Though I was past the 36,000 mi. warranty (JL has 40,000=) the application of this TSB was covered under the longer Power Train Warranty. Have seen nothing since the TSB was applied that made me wish I did not have it done on my JL.

On edit 12/30/20: After having the TSB 18-092-19 pcm update applied a few weeks ago and then after subsequent trial and error testing on my part..... I strongly urge those with 2018, 3.6 JL/JLU's to go out of your way to get this TSB applied to your vehicle, asap.

IF, you do not have the update applied, I predict, you will in the future, really regret not doing so. (Unless you are using a bypass jumper)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, I have not had TSB 18-092-19 applied to my 2018 JL that was built on 5/5/18 @ 3:22am.

I do not want the TSB, applied as I fear that the update, along with what I/we know it changes, will also interject lets say, changes that I will not be happy with at all. Right now, I know exactly how my 2018 3.6, JL behaves / what to expect without the TSB 18-092-19 and am very content with that...

I have been running with @Jebiruph's, original, bypass jumper installed and it facilitating my JL running with just the Main battery....Been doing this, since around 8/18 and have accumulated just over 25,000 with the bypass jumper in place/in use....and as stated, running with just the Main battery in use.

Never ever any issues running with just the Main battery, over the last many months as I mentioned. No EVIC notices, etc.. Both of my JL's, factory installed batteries are testing aok..

ESS is alive and well lets say, on my JL... I use @SmartStopStart.com unit (Terrific offering) to deal with ESS.

IF, I chose to use ESS (rarely, but occasionally do) I still can.

My JL's, AUX battery is healthy and on standby, lets say should the Main battery become depleted and I need the Aux battery to start the JL..... to get me home .... where I can deal in some fashion with the depleted Main battery.

YES, I have started my 2018 3.6 JL with Main battery disconnected and the Aux battery providing the 12v power to do so. Starts right up, first try.. when I do this, I see no codes thrown.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bill, very nice and clean looking (I too tend to be on the picky side). Looking at your engine compartment, one would never know that you have over 40,000 miles on your Jeep. Kudos to you.

Jerry, do you plan on selling these kits? If not, would you mind providing a list of components, in addition to the disconnect switch you already provided? I really like your latest iteration.
I do not plan on selling kits. That switch I posted is not the switch I used, that switch controls 2 batteries, I used a 1 battery switch. @Rhinebeck01 's install of the kit looks awesome, it didn't look that good when I shipped it and I will be following up with detailed information.

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Switch details

I tried 2 different switches and can not tell the difference between them.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XTDSD4B/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07413JWLD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I built my own 6 awg battery cables, the long one is around 6" and the short internal cable to the stud is 1 1/4". The ends are 3/8 (10mm) and 5/16 (8mm). I found this site where you can order custom battery cables, but I've never used them and don't know anything about them. https://www.batterycablesusa.com/6-gauge-awg-ul-battery-cable-with-ends

The stud is 8mm 1.25 X 25mm.

Jeep Wrangler JL ESS Dual Battery Management bmp switch to

Jeep Wrangler JL ESS Dual Battery Management bmp switch bottom

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Hi Jerry @Jebiruph:

I have a question on the negative cables side of things.

You clearly have the ability through a "basic" switch (as opposed to the "1,2, both, neither" switch you linked earlier today) to break the connection of the cable that travels between the negative posts of the two batteries: useful for separating the batteries or bypassing the ESS/Aux battery..

..and that's cool

What I'd like to know is how, in addition to that, to add two additional pieces of functionality on the negative side.

The first

1) is the equivalent, using switches, of keeping the two negative cables that meet up at the main battery's negative post connected to each other but disconnected from the main battery's negative terminal, as would simulate running solely on the ESS/Aux battery,

and second

2) is, again through switches, of being able to make a break in the cable that lies between the main battery's negative post on the body ground.

It would seem with both connections described above broken all current to the 3.6L would be temporarily broken, isolating both batteries.

I keep running this on paper but wonder if I've laid this out efficiently.

Thanks.

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Jerry @Jebiruph:

I have a question on the negative cables side of things.

You clearly have the ability through a "basic" switch (as opposed to the "1,2, both, neither" switch you linked earlier today) to break the connection of the cable that travels between the negative posts of the two batteries: useful for separating the batteries or bypassing the ESS/Aux battery..

..and that's cool

What I'd like to know is how, in addition to that, to add two additional pieces of functionality on the negative side.

The first

1) is the equivalent, using switches, of keeping the two negative cables that meet up at the main battery's negative post connected to each other but disconnected from the main battery's negative terminal, as would simulate running solely on the ESS/Aux battery,

and second

2) is, again through switches, of being able to make a break in the cable that lies between the main battery's negative post on the body ground.

It would seem with both connections described above broken all current to the 3.6L would be temporarily broken, isolating both batteries.

I keep running this on paper but wonder if I've laid this out efficiently.

Thanks.
It may be possible to do what you suggest, but every cable and component you add creates additional points of failure.

LS7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'66 CJ5, ‘18 JLUR
Volt Meter Box

There's nothing special about volt meters or switches, here's what I used.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07R6ZFK67/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PJGFYTX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The box is a shallow electrical junction box with a blank cover. I used black vinyl to cover the box.
https://www.menards.com/main/electr...967822-c-6425.htm?searchTermToProduct=3613164
https://www.menards.com/main/electr...976248-c-6427.htm?searchTermToProduct=3614671

Thanks. I’m sure I could have reinvented the wheel, and tracked this down, but you sure made it easier. Again, I appreciate your time and willingness to share.

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@LS7 , I know what you mean, I spent considerable time on the box and especially the cover. The cover is the most unique part of the whole kit. The cheap plastic covers have ribs on the back that interfere with mounting the gauges and they are not easy to drill. The one I found is polycarbonate, easy to drill and smooth on both sides. It's also small and fits flush with the box, most plates are larger than the box. With a normal size plate it couldn't be mounted where and how @Rhinebeck01 mounted his. Plus it's gray and looks good without painting.

I did notice that there's seems to be a shortage of electrical boxes which I credited to the China flu.

OP
OP
Jebiruph

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@LS7 , I know what you mean, I spent considerable time on the box and especially the cover. The cover is the most unique part of the whole kit. The cheap plastic covers have ribs on the back that interfere with mounting the gauges and they are not easy to drill. The one I found is polycarbonate, easy to drill and smooth on both sides. It's also small and fits flush with the box, most plates are larger than the box. With a normal size plate it couldn't be mounted where and how @Rhinebeck01 mounted his. Plus it's gray and looks good without painting.

I did notice that there's seems to be a shortage of electrical boxes which I credited to the China flu.
Actually, the short 1 1/4" battery cable is the most unique part, I don't think you can buy one that short. If you can't make/get one, you'll probably have to use another 6" cable and with the bolt attached to it.
Sponsored