ESS Dual Battery Management

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
IBS > Clear/Reset:

Disconnect all 12v power to the JL/JT *

Now, when 12v power is restored, the IBS starts a lengthy relearn process.

Until the relearn process is complete, accurate battery state (MAIN battery) information is unavailable to other vehicle systems.

This relearn process requires 5 normal, operator initiated starts with at least eight hours off time between each start. Usually, the process takes a few days of vehicle operation to complete.

Important: The relearn process is restarted every time power is reconnected to the IBS after a complete 12v power disconnection in regard to the vehicle. This has a major effect on the stop/start feature. (ESS)

Important: You can, with vehicle turned off, just unplug the IBS, leave it unplugged for a few minutes and then plug IBS back in and that to will also restart the relearning process.
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Important: You can, with vehicle turned off, just unplug the IBS, leave it unplugged for a few minutes and then plug IBS back in and that to will also restart the relearning process.
This is done right at the negative battery terminal, correct?

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport s unlimited;2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Here's a schematic of how this is wired.
ess bmp simple 2b.PNG

Here's some pics showing more details of the latest version. I mounted the gauges in 1 1/4" PVC pipe endcaps and color coded the gauges and wires - blue= aux green = main.

bmp bypass jumper.jpg

bmp v2.jpg

bmp gauges lit.jpg
What size fuse are you using for the bypass jumper? I cannot determine if this is a sensing circuit or a load bearing circuit.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What size fuse are you using for the bypass jumper? I cannot determine if this is a sensing circuit or a load bearing circuit.
@Redbaron73

@Jebiruph was going with the 30 amp fuse and I think he has said he did cause that is what came with the jumpers he was buying.

After the fused 30a amp bypass jumper was in use for a while by a few guys, one guy reported that 30amp was not enough for his JL. Apparently as it was equipped he might see 30.1+ or whatever and the 30 amp fuse would blow... With that said myself and I think most moved to a 40 amp fuse.

Jeep Wrangler JL ESS Dual Battery Management qr-code

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Redbaron73

@Jebiruph was going with the 30 amp fuse and I think he has said he did cause that is what came with the jumpers he was buying.

After the fused 30a amp bypass jumper was in use for a while by a few guys, one guy reported that 30amp was not enough for his JL. Apparently as it was equipped he might see 30.1+ or whatever and the 30 amp fuse would blow... With that said myself and I think most moved to a 40 amp fuse.

Jeep Wrangler JL ESS Dual Battery Management qr-code
are you using 10awg or 8awg wire?

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
are you using 10awg or 8awg wire?
@redbaron

Jerry made up my set-up.

I believe/think it is 10awg.... because with 8awg you may/probably would, have trouble getting the PDC cover to close over the the jumper cable that is coming out of the PDC, so Jerry uses 10. I have been running with 10 awg for about 2 years and thousands of miles..

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
@redbaron

Jerry made up my set-up.

I believe/think it is 10awg.... because with 8awg you may/probably would, have trouble getting the PDC cover to close over the the jumper cable that is coming out of the PDC, so Jerry uses 10. I have been running with 10 awg for about 2 years and thousands of miles..
I used this, which is 10awg. Indeed, getting the cover back on is tight. 8awg would require some modification to that cover.

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks...got mine ordered

Redbaron73

First Name
Ronnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For those that have installed this setup, How are you securing the battery cutoff switch?

Looking for ideas.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
For those that have installed this setup, How are you securing the battery cutoff switch?

Looking for ideas.
I use VELCRO Brand Industrial Strength Fasteners | Extreme Outdoor Weather Conditions | Professional Grade Heavy Duty Strength Holds up to 15 lbs.

Secures the switch very securely.... but if you need to, you can man handle it off.... it releases but it takes a lot of pull to get the two pieces of Velcro to separate.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005P52WPG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
Jeep Wrangler JL ESS Dual Battery Management 512s08p-uPL._AC_SL1000_

Jeep Wrangler JL ESS Dual Battery Management Meterin

Sponsored

JJT-NC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Oil Burner
I use VELCRO Brand Industrial Strength Fasteners | Extreme Outdoor Weather Conditions | Professional Grade Heavy Duty Strength Holds up to 15 lbs.

Secures the switch very securely.... but if you need to, you can man handle it off.... it releases but it takes a lot of pull to get the two pieces of Velcro to separate.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005P52WPG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
512s08p-uPL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Metering.jpg
Wow! Great idea - I've been combing the internet for ideas and this one is damn smart. Really addresses my challenge of an over-full engine compartment on my 3.0 eco diesel. I do have this rigid felt-like cover on my battery so will have to experiment with that velcro. Did you fabricate the short jumper or purchase? (BTW - the solution I am focused on is negative disconnect between battery and ground). THANKS AGAIN for sharing....

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@JJT-NC

The Velcro, I mentioned actually grips like heck onto the fabric like battery cover... I ran for a tad with my stock battery and it's cover.. I'd just remove that cover and be done with it though.

Are you talking about the N1- Main Pos jumper ?

JJT-NC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Oil Burner
@JJT-NC

The Velcro, I mentioned actually grips like heck onto the fabric like battery cover... I ran for a tad with my stock battery and it's cover.. I'd just remove that cover and be done with it though.

Are you talking about the N1- Main Pos jumper ?
I'm asking about that ground jumper that goes from the battery post to the switch mounted atop the battery.

I am adding that velcro to my toolbox. All that's in there now is WD-40 and duct tape.🤪

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm asking about that ground jumper that goes from the battery post to the switch mounted atop the battery.

I am adding that velcro to my toolbox. All that's in there now is WD-40 and duct tape.🤪
@JJT-NC

A disconnect switch to cut all power, like I think you might be thinking doable/planning (?) seems to me, like it would be a real problem to do... if even doable.

@Jebiruph came up with the hardware for my set-up.. He'll probably post after reading this and talk that particular jumper.