ESS does this happen to anyone else?

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 White 2 door Willys V6 Automatic
Trying to find out if this is normal. I have noticed more lately that the ESS will engage when I’m stopped and without ever lifting my foot off the brake it disengages and the Jeep starts up again. So ESS is only on for 3 seconds at a time. I don’t know what the point of it is if that’s going to be the case.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
scroll through the instrument cluster pages to the ESS page, and test it. See what the reason it gives for restarting is.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Yep, it should say "ESS not ready, _____" and obviously the blanks are the reason. Sometimes it just says ESS not ready.

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
If your A/C is on high, your ESS may not ever show ready or may only stop for a short period. If your Wrangler was older, I would suggest that your AUX battery was not performing well, but you have a 2020 so it should be fine...

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jennalee

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If your A/C is on high, your ESS may not ever show ready or may only stop for a short period. If your Wrangler was older, I would suggest that your AUX battery was not performing well, but you have a 2020 so it should be fine...
Yes it’s been on high lately so this makes sense

KrzybonesJLU

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT S, 2024 WILLY's
I’m sure you’ve figured this already but I’m willing to say that the reason for it starting back up is that it’s cooling the cabin.

OP
OP
Jennalee

Jennalee

First Name
Jennalee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m sure you’ve figured this already but I’m willing to say that the reason for it starting back up is that it’s cooling the cabin.
That’s exactly what it was! I tested it out. Would never have known the A/C would do that so thank you!

ToolMan514

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon 4xe
That’s exactly what it was! I tested it out. Would never have known the A/C would do that so thank you!
Glad that helped. By the way, it's in the Owner's Manual, page 235 under "Possible Reasons The Engine Does Not Autostop." Not for you, but maybe for the next person who finds this thread because they have a similar question...
Sponsored