ESS Disabled / Battery Charging since warranty work completed

linuxos77

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseam in these forums, but I have a 2020 Sahara with 27k miles with the Auto Start/Stop Disabled / Battery Charging message (and obviously start/stop isn't working). Everything was fine until the Jeep was in for warranty work (the infamous bubbling paint around the hinges) and since getting it back the auto stop/start isn't working. My initial thinking is it's because the Jeep essentially sat in a body shop for just over a month, guessing barely run or started (and it's New England so it's cold too). We've taken it on a few shorter drives, maybe a 20 minute drive home and then a few short around town type drives, but the message remains. How long should it take to charge, are our drives too short? Anything else I should check or do?
Sponsored

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
If it sat for over a month at the shop and has only had one 20 min drive and a few shorter drives, I'll bet it hasn't had enough time to charge. Put in on a batter tender if you have one. When mine has sat and not been on a tender, it would take longer than you've driven for if to be charged enough that the ESS message would go away. I use a tender now when it will sit for more than just a few weeks.

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
I know this topic has been discussed ad nauseam in these forums, but I have a 2020 Sahara with 27k miles with the Auto Start/Stop Disabled / Battery Charging message (and obviously start/stop isn't working). Everything was fine until the Jeep was in for warranty work (the infamous bubbling paint around the hinges) and since getting it back the auto stop/start isn't working. My initial thinking is it's because the Jeep essentially sat in a body shop for just over a month, guessing barely run or started (and it's New England so it's cold too). We've taken it on a few shorter drives, maybe a 20 minute drive home and then a few short around town type drives, but the message remains. How long should it take to charge, are our drives too short? Anything else I should check or do?
Greg,

You are not alone, I too have the exact same problem. However, I took mine into be serviced for the constant 'Battery Charging' complaint on the EVIC ESS disabled reason screen. Under warranty, they replaced both the AUX battery and Intelligent Battery Sensor. Still one week later, the exact some problem.

I know I can solve this myself by running a battery tender on it overnight. But driving it around town or even sub 1 hour trips on the freeway does not alleviate the problem. This points to either a really crappy Main battery that is minimally able to pass their Load Test or an ineffective charging design from the alternator.

I'm bringing this problem back to the dealership yet again to at least hear their excuse. I'll likely have to either buy better batteries, or run the battery maintainer more often.

Unfortunately, this is turning out to be a Jeep thing.

Still, I'd think that most people would envy my trouble. I now have what appears to be a very inexpensive and almost permanent ESS disabling mechanism.

Jay

OP
OP

linuxos77

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
Luckily the issue resolved itself after a few more drives and everything is now working as it should.
Sponsored