Sponsored

ESS Completely Stopped - And I'm Not Complaining!

binfordtools

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon. 2019 Grand Cherokee
Lucky me. It's like I won the lottery. My auto start/stop just randomly quit working two weeks ago. It no longer shuts off when I roll up to stop, the switch no longer illuminates, nothing at all. And the Jeep still operates perfectly, no detectable issues, no check engine light or anything. At first I thought this was because weather or something random, but I have driven in all conditions (it's Michigan so we have had snow, rain, sun, 10 deg. and 66 deg. weather over the last 2-weeks). I take the same route to work daily so nothing there has changed either.

I assume there is some sort of problem, but I won't be telling the dealer about it because I'm afraid he will fix it.

Anyone else have this blessing?
Sponsored

OP
OP
binfordtools

binfordtools

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes. My battery died. Tricklecharged it and started working again.
Weird. I have not had any charging issues that I can tell. Everything literally works as good as it did the day we bought it. I park in a warm garage each night so there are never any hardcore thermal loads put on it that could cause the battery to become weak. Must be some some drain on it.

Thanks for the reply I'll look into the battery thing more.

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
There is a Stop/Start message in the display behind the steering wheel, where you would see the tire psi and other info. It should tell you why ESS is not engaging. When I don't turn it off, mine will say engine temperature too low or cabin temperature not at desired point for the first few minutes and then say ESS ready. When I turn it off it just says ESS off/disabled. I would check this just to make sure there won't be other issues. If it just turns off ESS for good and nothing else, I would be happy too :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
binfordtools

binfordtools

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is a Stop/Start message in the display behind the steering wheel, :)
Yep - looked for that already. I thought there must be some message telling me the ESS is disabled for some reason. Didn't see any messages at all. I think that the Jeep gods heard me complaining about the ESS one day and smiled upon me.

COSJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 WK2, 2019 JLR?
I did not mean the message/icon that comes up near the psi screen. There is a dedicated page just for ESS status message if you scroll up/down a few times. If the page itself is missing , then I agree, Gods have answered your prayers :)

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
You're going to end up stranded somewhere that won't be very convenient if you don't look into it. I'm not sure why you could possibly think this is a good thing that your vehicle isn't working as designed. Clearly there is a problem.

Neohiofan

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
When I hooked up my tazer I left the vehicle on run and went inside. Next day it was dead as a door nail. Jump started it and it ran great. Then I figured out ess wasn’t working with no error messages. It just keep sayin start stop not ready. After some diagnosis with another forum member he told me to put a trickle charger on for 18 hours. It worked great after that.

timn1984

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2018 JL Sahara,Dodge Journey 2012, Toyota Camry 2015
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
Lucky me. It's like I won the lottery. My auto start/stop just randomly quit working two weeks ago. It no longer shuts off when I roll up to stop, the switch no longer illuminates, nothing at all. And the Jeep still operates perfectly, no detectable issues, no check engine light or anything. At first I thought this was because weather or something random, but I have driven in all conditions (it's Michigan so we have had snow, rain, sun, 10 deg. and 66 deg. weather over the last 2-weeks). I take the same route to work daily so nothing there has changed either.

I assume there is some sort of problem, but I won't be telling the dealer about it because I'm afraid he will fix it.

Anyone else have this blessing?
Go to the Dealer and have them check your battery. It may not be charging. I had the same problem, and after they replaced the battery (free of charge ++++ ha ha), it works great now. I understand your happiness that the ESS is not working, but as in a previous post, its probably a sign of bad things happening, unfortunately.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Yeah, not to be Debbie Downer, but I agree with the others. Mine was magically not working for a bit too. No messages on the ESS screen, but I did have the little icon above the fuel gauge telling me it was inactive. Didn't give it much thought until my Auto Park engaged when I tried to pull away from a gas pump without my seatbelt on. Got it going again without figuring out what the cause was, and then it did it to me again about a week later, while trying to pull out of the garage to hook up my trailer (again no belt). I had an ah-ha moment and realized ESS wasn't working because it thought the door was open (which also triggers Auto Park when the belt isn't latched). On the down side it also meant I had to have my seatbelt on, even if I wasn't leaving my driveway. Not cool. So I took it in, and it turns out my door latch was causing it to read door ajar. Never got that message on the ESS screen, so you probably have an issue it's not telling you about.
ESS has so many parameters, that it could be nearly anything disabling it. Unfortunately something isn't right. Positive result for now, but it's an early warning sign for something else. Could be minor like mine was, but could also be something more significant. I'd get it looked at. Even if you don't have them fix it, let them figure out what is wrong so you can decide if you want to risk letting it go or not.

Logger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Mine quit on me last week but I was getting the error message on the dash. Like you guys are saying, was more concerned it was a symptom for something more serious. Dealer was able to identify a faulty door latch. Even though door was functioning and not showing as open on the dash the ESS thought it was open and wouldn’t work. Dealer said it was the second one he saw this week. Odd but easy fix.
Sponsored